Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Except each of those Batmen have been different. Some even allowed to progress as characters.

Comics version is two steps forward, and depending on the next author, editor, etc., could be 5 steps back.
    And that's fine, because that allows there to be a backbone for all those different Batmen. We never stick around with the Batmen who progress for too long before rebooting back to something closer to our progress-less ideal from the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Back to topic, Batman's development happened every few decades based on the experiences of his life...
    When he first started
    When he first trained a Robin
    When said Robin go to college
    When he got another Robin
    When that Robin died
    When he realized he has expanded family
    When more of those expanded family died
    ...Which make sense for an eternal icon...

The problem is that whole death and collecting family thing has become the only development he got lately, where the writers and characters are trapped in repeating a cycle of depression and realization.

Oh, I have a family. Oh, they're dead or suffering. I should be sad again.
    Well, while the family does develop to an extent - they keep getting reset to default too, as far as I know (I only really follow Batwoman).

Babs became Oracle for a time, also got to be in her 30s. Then reset back to Batgirl and early 20s.

Jason was the rebellious one, battled Batman, then calmed down. Last I saw of that character (I haven't kept up to date) he got beat-up by Batman and chased out of the city. I'm guessing he's back in Gotham on good terms with Batman again, or will be soon.

Batwoman solo run 1 - was separate from the family, had a fight with Batman, then they were on good terms. In the 'Tec run, she joined the family, had a scuffle with Batman, then they were on good terms again - reset to being on her own. Solo run 2, has another fight with Batman - reset to being on good terms again. Cousins fight, cousins forgive, cousins fight again, and repeat.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Well, while the family does develop to an extent - they keep getting reset to default too, as far as I know (I only really follow Batwoman).

Babs became Oracle for a time, also got to be in her 30s. Then reset back to Batgirl and early 20s.

Jason was the rebellious one, battled Batman, then calmed down. Last I saw of that character (I haven't kept up to date) he got beat-up by Batman and chased out of the city. I'm guessing he's back in Gotham on good terms with Batman again, or will be soon.

Batwoman solo run 1 - was separate from the family, had a fight with Batman, then they were on good terms. In the 'Tec run, she joined the family, had a scuffle with Batman, then they were on good terms again - reset to being on her own. Solo run 2, has another fight with Batman - reset to being on good terms again. Cousins fight, cousins forgive, cousins fight again, and repeat.
    Never said that doesn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    Dick doesn't change either. Probably bc he's as much an icon as Bruce. The best and most he can be is already as Robin in the old age (partner, solo, team, global, even multiverse, even normal life and love interests) Nightwing/37/whatever now is trying to reach that level Robin did in the 50s - 70s and even sometimes he's not trying anymore (like Ric now)
    Jason and Damian is the ones that CAN and SHOULD change but DC wouldn't let them. Tim is the only one who had character development (not because he's better but bc he's allowed to keep his through 25 years while everyone is retconned left and right)
    This is a joke right? Tim is the Robin that had his history messed up and erased. I think you must be confused.

Batman does have Character development. Some writers do regress him and have him learn the same lessons all over but that's expected in a character that's been around for 80 years.

Fantastic Member

Um is this a joke or do you just not get what I say? I meant through 1989-2011 Dick has his origin retconned 4 times , Jason 2 and Babs 1 while he kept his and his entire development. His personality gone off the rail 2005 onwards because they were too busy chopping of the history of those before him , is another matter.

Though I did forget Damian who got his through 2006-2011. I don’t talk about new52 or Rebirth because everyone’s messed up there.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 06-18-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Nhien, in your original post you didn't mention that you don't count New 52 and beyond, so we thought you count it, especially since you mentioned Agent 37 which is from New 52.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 06-18-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Fantastic Member

This board really over exaggerates how interesting the supporting cast is in comparison to Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    This board really over exaggerates how interesting the supporting cast is in comparison to Bruce.
    People on these boards over exaggerate literally everything.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcady59 View Post
    People online over exaggerate literally everything.
    Fixed that for you

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    There's definitely stretches where some of them can be more interesting, but it's not a constant because the other characters fall into their own ruts. Or you can find very similar characters in other works of fiction.

Writing for superhero comics is not overly complex in general, especially as they are not finite narratives where arcs can conclude permanently. Characters in film or literature or a tv series can be way more complex than the action figures we read about because they are allowed to have stories that end and go places superheroes generally do not.