Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman in Triumph in 1939

Interesting article on Bleeding Cool... apparently the first appearance of Superman's ability to fly wasn't the 1940 radio show, but instead a 1939 British comic called Triumph.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06...d-fly-in-1939/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

That's really cool!

It also mentions the first longer origin telling.. I wonder if the insides of these exist as scans/etc somewhere or saved for historical record. I'd love to see what's different on the inside in addition to the covers.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Hey JAK, back from Metropolis? Hope you had a good time man!

Also, yes, this is an interesting thing you found Dignified! Thanks for sharing!

I wonder what other aspects and concepts were introduced abroad that we Americans never knew about?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It sounds like this really is the first appearance of him actually flying. We may very well have the Brits to thank for that! Good job, Brits!
    Assassinate Putin!

I had heard of Superman in Triumph from 1939, but not anything about the story. I have never seen it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hey JAK, back from Metropolis? Hope you had a good time man!

Also, yes, this is an interesting thing you found Dignified! Thanks for sharing!

I wonder what other aspects and concepts were introduced abroad that we Americans never knew about?
    Yep! I had SO much fun! Didn't spend as much time talking comics/etc as I'd like, but it was still great. Won the costume contest as Deadpool, and that was a blast too (even snuck in a Deadpool-esque DECU joke while I was at it, lol https://www.supermanhomepage.com/201...ration-videos/)

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    It sounds like this really is the first appearance of him actually flying. We may very well have the Brits to thank for that! Good job, Brits!
    I'm not 100% sure this was intended as flying (because of how far he's leaning over), but at the very least it shows the transition from leaping - and that's still impressive.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Retired

According to the article, THE TRIUMPH was simply reprinting the stories from the strips, so the only evidence of Superman "flying" is that one cover image. But if you read the comic books, it's very hard to tell when the Man of Tomorrow is simply leaping in a fantastic fashion and when he's actually sustaining flight--it's a very blurry margin between the two. Also, because we see so much photographic evidence of how far you have to get above the Earth to reach the exosphere, we might look at this cover image as photo-realistic, but people back then had no real concept of that scale except for astrophysicists. So if an artist wants to show Superman leaping really high, an image like this gets that point across. Maybe the artist wanted to show Superman flying, but I don't see any definite proof of that here.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Yep! I had SO much fun! Didn't spend as much time talking comics/etc as I'd like, but it was still great. Won the costume contest as Deadpool, and that was a blast too (even snuck in a Deadpool-esque DECU joke while I was at it, lol https://www.supermanhomepage.com/201...ration-videos/)
    Glad you had fun man, and congrats on the win. Welcome back!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    That's really cool!

It also mentions the first longer origin telling.. I wonder if the insides of these exist as scans/etc somewhere or saved for historical record. I'd love to see what's different on the inside in addition to the covers.
    Should be the exact same as Action Comics #1, but in black and white.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    According to the article, THE TRIUMPH was simply reprinting the stories from the strips, so the only evidence of Superman "flying" is that one cover image. But if you read the comic books, it's very hard to tell when the Man of Tomorrow is simply leaping in a fantastic fashion and when he's actually sustaining flight--it's a very blurry margin between the two. Also, because we see so much photographic evidence of how far you have to get above the Earth to reach the exosphere, we might look at this cover image as photo-realistic, but people back then had no real concept of that scale except for astrophysicists. So if an artist wants to show Superman leaping really high, an image like this gets that point across. Maybe the artist wanted to show Superman flying, but I don't see any definite proof of that here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I did see that, but was also curious when I read this:

"they also contain the first more complete origin of the character to be published in comic book form anywhere in the world."

Does that mean they took parts from various sources? I'd be interested to see how it was all put together, and what (if anything) was taken out (due to differing laws/etc - which I only thought of because of the whole TMNT being "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" thing over there).

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Glad you had fun man, and congrats on the win. Welcome back!
    Thanks, man! Good to be back.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The newspaper strip, in which this refers, actually has an extended sequence on Krypton. We actually get to see what 1930s Krypton looked like.
    Assassinate Putin!

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

What did it look like?!
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The newspaper strip, in which this refers, actually has an extended sequence on Krypton. We actually get to see what 1930s Krypton looked like.
    How do you know that's what they're talking about if you don't have that Triumph issue?

There's a few issues here - but none with Superman in it - the newest annoyingly being the first issue after his original run in Triumph ended (based on the timing, Christmas 1939, I'd say they probably ran out of material due to World War Two. It did come back, but the second run also didn't last long). I suppse it's lucky they even have that much, as the title actually is NOT public domain (it belongs to 2000AD, as part of the pre-1970 Fleetway archive they recently purchased).

It would be nice to compare these reprints to the US originals.

Retired

2000 AD can own a publication and the contents still be in the public domain. It's not about what 2000 AD has done, but about what THE TRIUMPH did back then. Did it properly secure the copyrights at the time or not? If not, then the copyright may have lapsed and there's nothing 2000 AD can do retroactively to change that. There's a lot of content that DC has in their library which is actually public domain. The folks at Comic Book Plus could provide this content, because there is no active copyright; however, it's a difficult calculation, as some content is too hot to publish. For example, anything with Superman in it--they're not going to post that, even if they legally have the right to do so, because they know this will attract attention from DC's lawyers. And it's just not worth the hastle. No sense putting the whole site in danger of being taken down, just to provide any content with Superman in it for the few days they can get away with it before DC goes after them.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

How do you know that's what they're talking about if you don't have that Triumph issue?
    Comics.org makes it clear that they are the newspaper original strips for issue 772 at least. Likely throughout the run but not all data is collected. 1939, featuring the original with Jor L and Krypton, and many other golden age strip years are available through IDW. Scouring around for scans of the spreads, later issues are also clearly reprinted from the newspaper. Some people have reported buying the Superman batch online.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/top...rman-reprints/

For the (strangely similar to Kirk Alyn) cover I agree that it seems more like artistic license on the leaping. I like that "Uk" style and wouldn't mind it as a poster.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES