View Poll Results: Favorite Grant Morrison run on a DC Alpha hero?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman

19 35.85%
  • Batman

21 39.62%
  • Wonder Woman

0 0%
  • Green Lantern

7 13.21%
  • The Flash

6 11.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite Grant Morrison take on DC alpha heroes

Grant Morrison is a hell of a writer.

He's also one of the few to take on so many fictional solo heavy hitters at one company.

Which run(s) would be your favourite?

A. Superman (ALL-STAR + New52 Action Comics)
    B. Batman (including DickBats)
    C. Wonder Woman (EARTH ONE books)
    D. Green Lantern
    E. Flash (1990s run)

I'm leaving off both DOOM PATROL and JLA because they're team books. FINAL CRISIS and MULTIVERSITY are events. ANIMAL MAN isn't a heavy hitter. And THE INVISIBLES, well, can't really be compared to anything else .. and it's kinda a team book.

Would you like to see Morrison hit for the cycle and try Aquaman, Shazam, and/or Green Arrow?

* - poll forthcoming

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Superman definitely. All-Star is my favorite Superman story period, pretty much the Holy Bible of the character, and his New 52 Action run is the best modernized origin the character has ever had. It perfectly meshes the Golden and Silver Age takes. Aside from the less than stellar Jim Lee costume, I think it could remain pretty timeless and be uses as the default Superman origin going forward. Sucks that DC ditched it for no reason. I have zero problem envisioning that Superman growing into the current, wiser version who is married and has a kid.

Batman is a very close second. He writes the best Bat-God, because 1. He still makes Batman fun while doing it, and 2. He writes EVERYONE as a top tier God, so nobody gets thrown under the bus for Batman. His Batman, which channeled the Bronze Age quite a bit, was a breath of fresh air after years of Bruce being a one note, boring grouch. I disliked the run (and Damian) at first because of the focus on his new villains instead of the old ones, but I've re-read it a few times and now it is among my favorites. Also helps that he's one of the best things to happen to Dick Grayson.

His run with Hal is shaping up to be one of the best runs for the character. Every issue is a joy to read, albeit some more so than others. I read his brief run with Millar on Wally, and while good, I don't think it was long enough to be either his best or the best for the franchise. I do hope he gets an extended Flash run with Barry at some point.

Wonder Woman, as always with her and creators, is the outlier. He did alright by her in JLA, but there is Final Crisis and the Earth One books are more interesting failures than successes. He brings back the Golden Age elements and gives them some much needed criticism, but the problem is that he spends more time criticizing than modernizing/focusing on what worked. The Amazons are not the most unsympathetic Amazons we've seen (that would be the New 52), but they are far from the best they could be as well. And I feel like there are too many ideas squeezed into two books that he can't properly develop all of them. Many WW fans would probably not want it, but I would love an ongoing lengthy run instead of short graphic novels, but it would probably be better with a co-author like Rucka, and they could balance each other out. On the positive side, whatever can be said about his writing for Hippolyta at least she's actively present and not wallpaper like in the Azzarello run, and he gave us the best versions of Etta, Dr. Psycho and Paula von Gunther and they need to be transplanted to the main DCU immediately.

And hell yes, I want to see him tackle Aquaman and Captain Marvel, and even the Titans to get them out of their godawful rut.

Spectacular Member

His Batman run is phenomenal, probably the best long run on the character.

He says he's retiring from mainstream superhero comics after finish GL so I doubt he'll get onto long runs on Aquaman, Green Arrow etc. With Shazam I think he said he'd done everything he wanted to do with the character with Thunderworld.

Batman for Dickbats and Damian. Plus the every counts continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Superman definitely. All-Star is my favorite Superman story period, pretty much the Holy Bible of the character, and his New 52 Action run is the best modernized origin the character has ever had. It perfectly meshes the Golden and Silver Age takes. Aside from the less than stellar Jim Lee costume, I think it could remain pretty timeless and be uses as the default Superman origin going forward. Sucks that DC ditched it for no reason. I have zero problem envisioning that Superman growing into the current, wiser version who is married and has a kid.

Batman is a very close second. He writes the best Bat-God, because 1. He still makes Batman fun while doing it, and 2. He writes EVERYONE as a top tier God, so nobody gets thrown under the bus for Batman. His Batman, which channeled the Bronze Age quite a bit, was a breath of fresh air after years of Bruce being a one note, boring grouch. I disliked the run (and Damian) at first because of the focus on his new villains instead of the old ones, but I've re-read it a few times and now it is among my favorites. Also helps that he's one of the best things to happen to Dick Grayson.

His run with Hal is shaping up to be one of the best runs for the character. Every issue is a joy to read, albeit some more so than others. I read his brief run with Millar on Wally, and while good, I don't think it was long enough to be either his best or the best for the franchise. I do hope he gets an extended Flash run with Barry at some point.

Wonder Woman, as always with her and creators, is the outlier. He did alright by her in JLA, but there is Final Crisis and the Earth One books are more interesting failures than successes. He brings back the Golden Age elements and gives them some much needed criticism, but the problem is that he spends more time criticizing than modernizing/focusing on what worked. The Amazons are not the most unsympathetic Amazons we've seen (that would be the New 52), but they are far from the best they could be as well. And I feel like there are too many ideas squeezed into two books that he can't properly develop all of them. Many WW fans would probably not want it, but I would love an ongoing lengthy run instead of short graphic novels, but it would probably be better with a co-author like Rucka, and they could balance each other out. On the positive side, whatever can be said about his writing for Hippolyta at least she's actively present and not wallpaper like in the Azzarello run, and he gave us the best versions of Etta, Dr. Psycho and Paula von Gunther and they need to be transplanted to the main DCU immediately.

And hell yes, I want to see him tackle Aquaman and Captain Marvel, and even the Titans to get them out of their godawful rut.
    I agree with all of these words. Morrison is easily one of the greatest writers Superman has ever had and his work on the character is sublime. His Batman is also great and he did a whole ton of great work there (I especially enjoyed his DickBats, though I'd never want Dick to keep the cowl for long).

I really liked what little he did with Flash back in the day, he and.....Miller?.....did fantastic stuff in the short time they had the book. And GL is exactly what a Morrison written GL should be.

Wonder Woman......I dunno, I enjoyed Earth-1 for what it was (is the second volume out yet?) and I thought he did good with her in JLA, but I don't feel like I've ever gotten a real strong sense of how he approaches and thinks of Diana so.....I have no complaints, but not much praise either.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I LOVE his Batman run (especially Batman & Robin and anything JH Williams touched, bu I voted Superman because few runs in history can surpass the greatness of All-Star Superman. It's pretty much the quintessential take on the character, alongisde Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

I haven't read Morrison's Wonder Woman or Green Lantern. That said, All-Star Superman is the best Superman story I've ever read, so that gets my vote.

His Batman with Dick as Bats is my favorite Batman run of all time!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

It's not done but so far his Green Lantern has been pretty intriguing.

His Batverse deep dive into Bruce Wayne's split psyche and how he reinvents himself to survive was pretty great.

His re-introduction among other things Silverage, once forgotten Batman of All Nations, developing their characters old and new, into something modern and interesting, Batman Inc. AKA The Colony Of Bats.

I'd pick up a book that continued their adventures any day.

As it drifted back to focus on the mundane bat family retreads and derivative multi ex-Robins, he lost me again. The intro and death of Damian was pretty absurd and gratuitous, the only thing more ridiculous was DC going against him, and bringing the little shitball back ! LOL!
    Best thing to come out of it was the Batman of All Nations which DC ignores.
    Worst thing out of it, was Damian (who Morrison knew to put to rest), which of course DC regurgitates back to the fans so they can gobble it up more. LOL!

I'd love to see him further take on SHAZAM!

Although I love the new SHAZAMILY!
    Morrison's Multiversity Thunderworld although was pure nostalgia and mostly plot driven, (which sort of suits the character) i would love to see him examine it further, and actually forward that universe and do something more character driven there.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-15-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Wonder Woman......I dunno, I enjoyed Earth-1 for what it was (is the second volume out yet?) and I thought he did good with her in JLA, but I don't feel like I've ever gotten a real strong sense of how he approaches and thinks of Diana so.....I have no complaints, but not much praise either.
    Yes, it's been out for a few months actually. It's definitely as flawed as the first one, but it has the best take on Dr. Psycho ever.

Superman for me.

His batman takes is great, and so is his Wonder Woman, but I can't get into his Green Lantern and didn't even knew he wrote on the Flash.

And yet, I loath All-Star Superman, reading this book was painful, literally, and mainly because all the characters were unsufferable to me.

However, his New 52 Superman origin is a masterpiece that I can read again and again, without any problem.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

He's my favourite ever Superman writer so, yeah...

His work on all of these characters is great, though. I would like to see him do another and longer solo run on the Flash. Preferably Wally but if anyone can make me care about modern Barry Allen, it's Morrison.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

None of the above.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

While his Batman was good, I absolutely LOVED the Flash issues he wrote with Mark Millar.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Batman. Loved Morrison's run on it. My favourite comic book run.