Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Doomsday Clock #10 JS Huh?

About #$#@!ing damn time you goofballs DC
    Last edited by Doctor Kent Nelson; 02-24-2019 at 04:04 AM.
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Don't get too excited mate.
    The story isn't finished yet and DC can still screw you over!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this is only a flashback. I truly doubt DC has any plans with the JSA. I REALLY hope I am wrong because I LOVE the JSA. They are my favorite team and some of my favorite characters in the DCU. However, at this point I've been burned so many times by this current leadership, that I am not getting my hopes up.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

One page of artwork does not mean they're returning yet.

Maybe you should wait until the full issue is released / read first?
    Just a thought.

Some other comments about what all this means can be found starting at https://community.cbr.com/showthread...44#post4215244 and currently continuing on for another page or more.

The comments about this have all clearly fallen into two groups:

1) I'm excited to see the JSA again.
    2) It may not be what we want.

I'm jumping totally into group 1. As for the repetative comments from group 2, I offer up the complete list of comics that may suclk and/or not be what we want: " ".

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The comments about this have all clearly fallen into two groups:

1) I'm excited to see the JSA again.
    2) It may not be what we want.

I'm jumping totally into group 1. As for the repetative comments from group 2, I offer up the complete list of comics that may suclk and/or not be what we want: " ".
    Silly me . . . I want to know WHAT exactly we're "seeing" first.

Besides, haven't we already "seen" the JSA in Doomsday Cluck?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Silly me . . . I want to know WHAT exactly we're "seeing" first.

Besides, haven't we already "seen" the JSA in Doomsday Cluck?
    It's a book you're not reading, so you tell me. As for what exactly is being shown, unusual covers and promos have been around for years. Clips that push what people want to see are a common marketing tool. And we all want to know what's being shown here. it's why we go on and on about the JSA's return.

This isn't our first comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This isn't our first comic book.
    Which is why I'm cautious about saying "I'm excited to see the JSA again" until I know exactly what I'm "seeing".

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I'm confused as to why you guys think that the return of the JSA is so far fetched. If I recall correctly, before the New 52, JSA was one of DC's most solid sellers. The Johns/ Goyer/ Robinson JSA went on for nearly 90 issues, as I recall, and its followup went on for another 60 issues. It was also an important, if misguided, part of the New 52 when it was retooled as Earth 2. In spite of the low selling early '90s minis (which were really good as I recall - it's been a while), the JSA has been a staple for most of the modern DC era so why wouldn't it return?

Well, I say that, but Didio's weird hatred of DC's legacy (genuinely one of the most baffling things about him) might put a stop to it. If Johns was still a major force at DC, I would say that they would definitely be returning after Doomsday Clock. Since he isn't, well, it's still a very good chance.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I'm confused as to why you guys think that the return of the JSA is so far fetched. If I recall correctly, before the New 52, JSA was one of DC's most solid sellers. The Johns/ Goyer/ Robinson JSA went on for nearly 90 issues, as I recall, and its followup went on for another 60 issues. It was also an important, if misguided, part of the New 52 when it was retooled as Earth 2. In spite of the low selling early '90s minis (which were really good as I recall - it's been a while), the JSA has been a staple for most of the modern DC era so why wouldn't it return?

Well, I say that, but Didio's weird hatred of DC's legacy (genuinely one of the most baffling things about him) might put a stop to it. If Johns was still a major force at DC, I would say that they would definitely be returning after Doomsday Clock. Since he isn't, well, it's still a very good chance.
    I think people are probably just cynical and a little bitter with how long it's taken for the JSA and Legion to get brought back after the initial Rebirth tease, as well as just general apprehensiveness as to whether modern DC can even do the JSA properly now.

JSA fans have a wide variety of emotions regarding DC's supposed return. In past years, DC's leaned against a JSA return, calling the All-Star Comics return in the 70s "Super Squad". That faded and was replaced with Justice Society. Infinity, Inc. feature the kids of the JSA with the JSA as supporting characters. That book was dropped after the JSA were phased out making II another teen hero book. All-Star Squadron became Young All Stars.

It took many years for an actual book titled JSA (or Justice Society) to be published. Even the shift to younger modern copies of JSA characters in Earth 2 was a sign of DC's believed reticence to publish a more traditional JSA book. But the more traditional JSA had done well. Personally, I don't see what the problem is with books I don't like. It's not like I have to buy or read them. But that's where a lot of the doubt comes from.

I don't know if the 1992 series was "low selling". There have been many who say that really was cancelled and DC killed off / aged a good number of the members because certain people at DC didn't like having a bunch of "old guys" still running around playing hero.

Also, during the New 52, when DC was originally talking about a "return" of the JSA, instead what we got was the Earth 2 series.

So some of us are a little leery of DC supposedly saying they're bringing them back, but wondering if it might be more like what happened after DC "brought back" the original Wally West in DC Universe: Rebirth. Yes, they brought him back, but . . .

I think that Garrick looks young in the last image... One flashback?
    Last edited by adrikito; 02-24-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Well...
    The 1991 mini-series was more successful than it's now given credit.
    (Btw, the Black Canary issue was my favorite.)

It was supposed to be a throwaway project to give the Impact artists something to do while that Imprint was gearing up to launch.
    DC didn't really expect for it to make an 'impact' of its own.

But it did, and fans clamored for more... leading to the ongoing series featuring Parobeck on art.

Unfortunately, the people in charge at the time didn't like the JSA or Parobeck's art, so the book was cancelled and the characters were killed off at the first opportunity.
    (I say 'people' but IIRC it was just one person, really, but he had the power put the hammer down.)
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-24-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Well...
    The 1991 mini-series was more successful than it's now given credit.
    (Btw, the Black Canary issue was my favorite.)

It was supposed to be a throwaway project to give the Impact artists something to do while that Imprint was gearing up to launch.
    DC didn't really expect for it to make an 'impact' of its own.

But it did, and fans clamored for more... leading to the ongoing series featuring Parobeck on art.

Unfortunately, the people in charge at the time didn't like the JSA or Parobeck's art, so the book was cancelled and the characters were killed off at the first opportunity.
    (I say 'people' but IIRC it was just one person, really, but he had the power put the hammer down.)
    Thanks for clarifying everyone and, yeah, you may well be onto something. I mean, that something is nuts considering how popular the JSA clearly is but that's a not unfair assessment of of how these characters are seen by DC's PTB. What really shocks me, though, is this post. I was reading comics at time - though admittedly I was still a kid and had only just started - but I had no idea this was going on behind the scenes. It's especially absurd since the Justice Society were only brought back a couple of years before the book was cancelled and a bunch of the team were killed off during Zero Hour. If nothing else, it shows pretty clearly that Didio was hardly the first guy in a managerial position at DC to let his own biases get in the way of what's best for the overall line.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.