Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The family dynamic was what initially captured me. My first issue was during Fall of the Mutants and I remember this ad vividly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fa...ant_Reg_Ad.JPG

The X-Men felt close to each other and acted like they truly cared for each other as they were fighting against those that hated them for simply being. I was a bit too young at the time when I started reading to connect it with being gay but later, that also was a big relating point for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    Especially in the Claremont years, it was about tapping into your inner strength regardless of what’s thrown at you, and even if it comes at a cost, and especially when your back is against the wall and there is no easy choice. It’s taken different iterations as more writers came along, but more than most franchises at marvel, that still speaks to me even (especially) as I’ve gotten older.
    I agree. The X-Men (80's/90's) were outsiders and moved to the beat of their own drum. It was about adhering to your better self, and not allowing circumstances or life or people to define who you are or let them wear you down. Mutant powers were an allegory to your skills, abilities and talents and how they could be used to help others. Even if you received little to no thanks for helping others. But the act in and of itself is what makes you a great person and shapes your character.

And one of the things I absolutely love about the X-Men and a way in which I related to them. Is that it featured characters introverted characters who in are on the surface not what I would call cute, cudly or even what would be considered as nice in North American society. Characters like Emma Frost, Psylocke, X-23 or even Gambit. Can be seen as arrogant, cold and ruthless. But when the chips are down you know they have your back or will help you when you need it. I also relate to them because they will do what needs to be done, even at a personal cost.

It really maintained the adage that true beauty if found within. And sometimes the most precious stone is a diamond in the rough.

I don't know if I've ever specifically related to the X-Men, as a premise, in an way stronger than other Marvel books I like. I do find it to be a very compelling premise, and a property with a lot of relatable characters, but I've never been persecuted or anything, so saying I relate to the mutant metaphor would feel presumptuous to me.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I was born into a world that feared and hated me simply because I exist. (To some extent, it still does.) But I had ruby quartz wit and adamantium-laced spirit. The X-Men seemed the appropriate place.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Make it plain please... Silver Phoenix's Avatar

I find the idea of mutants interesting.

Someone born with power or abilities and making up your mind as to what you are going to do with them.

I like that the X-men are family and they have each other's back for better or worse.

They've made up their minds they will use their mutations for the betterment of everybody.
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."- Jesus
    John 14:6

I relate to being a minority in a world that wants to stack the deck against you.

I like the powers. Flight, strength, etc. are boring. I want a healing factor. Or making inventions. Or teleportation.

Powers are neat.

Emoting to people is hard.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I find a strong parallel between mutant relations and being gay.

For example...
    Being able to “pass”, whether it’s ethical to even try and “pass”, being born a certain way, having people have a preconceived idea about you before they even meet you if they know you’re gay (a mutant), etc etc
    ^This.
    I was barely able to understand parallels or allegory when I was in elementary school reading and watching the X-Men, but I knew there was something different about me and I knew it wasn't far off from how the X-Men felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Psi-Lord View Post
    Why do you relate to the X-Men?
    They gay...

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Its MLK and Malcom X
    As SUPERHUMANS. Whats not to love?

Seriously ideological handwaving aside. The family. As a family they take losses, they
    don't always get along.

But.. they have a struggle. A struggle that is elaborate and deep. Its not just thwarting villainy. Its dealing
    with all the things that threaten your people. They have something other groups do not.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

I don't. They're just the only superheroes worth rooting for.

Like some of the other regulars here, I relate to the X-Men because I'm a minority and I am Gay. Still fighting to prove to the masses that we are human, and deserve the same rights anyone else has. Always felt different and like an outsider, even though I technically could 'fit in'.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Because it was the early 90's and they were the coolest looking super heroes around and they had depth that my adolescent mind wanted to explore. Plus Rogue. /giggity

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

I don't remember if it was the movie or the video games first, but I believe it was the acting lol...

I unfortunately was also an illegal immigrant and I remember seeing this local man who would picket on the local channel downtown and say really bizarre stuff about immigrants and yell at the camera. And also at school, anything immigrant-sympathizing was met with strong pushback.