Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I liked the X-Men because they were the underdogs, never being given the credit or respect they deserved; once they started posing, strutting, and going omega they really lost their appeal to me.

BANNED

I liked the X-Men because of their kinship with SPIDER-MAN !!!

I so want to see this adapted for the Marvel Cinematic Universe!!!

I grew up reading Batman and Avengers when I was a kid and while I liked them I recognized them as typical man in suit books. In the 70s-80s there were "Marvel grab bags" of 2-3 comics that were put out to introduce people to new books and they were priced cheap enough that my dad would pick me up one once and a while to encourage reading. You guessed it, Uncanny showed up in a few and suddenly I felt like I found my people. Yes I was a suburban white kid, but I always was drawn to underdogs and misfits even at a young age. Those Claremont books were unique, scary, funny, sweet, and the family element also captured my heart. I felt like Nightcrawler, wanted to be Colossus, wanted to date Kitty, wanted to be best friends with Storm, and when the New Mutants came around all bets were off. I was no longer looking up to the X-Men as my upperclassmen, I had peers in age with the crew of goofy looking oddball superheroes that were just like me and the kids around me.

In the 90's I "grew out" of comics and never got into the animated series because of the same reason... but in the 00's when they brought back some of the New Mutants for Morrison's run I was interested but it was Wheadon writing Astonishing that brought me back in deeper because I was a die hard Buffy fan. Faded away again briefly but last year (I'm now in my mid-40's) discovered Marvel Unlimited and this goofball forum and have spent the last year re-reading everything. It's been exhausting but well worth it.

The first time I saw the X-men was from a tv commercial before the X-men The Animated Series premiered. I recall seeing Cyclops and Gambit. I instantly loved Cyclops. When I watched the series Scott remained my favorite until I fell for Jean Grey (probably during the Captive Hearts episode). The truth is that I love most of the X-men characters.

Yes, I loved their powers and their personality but what really resonated for me was the idea of being outcasts. I knew what it felt like to be stigmatized and to feel different. The X-men should never shy away from being about a minority and all that it means to be one - persecuted, stigmatized, stereotyped, hated, and feared.

My fav was Jean Grey because she felt like an underdog but I also liked that she had this massive power and she had something inside her that was tough to control.

There is a reason there is a lot of diverse fans of the X-men. There is a reason that every X-man message board has a lot of lgbt representation. I think the X-men is at its best when it is about both evolution and the plight of minorities. It is about the feeling of being different and being hated and feared for it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I liked the X-Men because of their kinship with SPIDER-MAN !!!

I so want to see this adapted for the Marvel Cinematic Universe!!!
    Same, but from a somewhat opposite end. To me, Spider-Man is the one non-mutant hero in the Marvel Universe closest to understanding what the X-Men go through on a regular basis, having been constantly demonized by the media, repeatedly hounded by authorities, and even distrusted by many of his superhero peers . . . which is just status quo for the X-Men. That sense of commonality, especially given that despite being feared and hated outcasts in-universe, Spider-Man was the most popular individual superhero and the X-Men were the most popular superhero team published by Marvel Comics, was a big part of the reason I've continued to be a fan of both. Not to mention that as I've grown older and wiser to how the world works (or doesn't work), the metaphor presented by the X-Men for the persecution of marginalized groups in real life has become more and more relevant to me, so that's another reason.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Same, same.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I actually struggled with mental health issues in the past and related to the mutants since, like many mentally ill people, are treated like a ticking time bomb.
    Same, same. Well, not past tense.

Incredible Member

I've been reading comics since the '60s, but being in the UK for years it was black and white reprints of the original silver age classics, at the time I liked the X-Men, they were okay, but the reprints tended not to get much further than issue 40 or so, then stop and restart from scratch. But then in the mid to late '70s comics in the UK started becoming more available and much more widespread. I was able to get the All New All Different X-Men almost from the start and I was absolutely blown away. It was that they were characters from all over the world, it was their relationships, it was their fight against the world that hated them. It was also the writing and the art though, especially when Byrne came along. At that time it was the best thing on the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I grew up reading Batman and Avengers when I was a kid and while I liked them I recognized them as typical man in suit books. In the 70s-80s there were "Marvel grab bags" of 2-3 comics that were put out to introduce people to new books and they were priced cheap enough that my dad would pick me up one once and a while to encourage reading. You guessed it, Uncanny showed up in a few and suddenly I felt like I found my people. Yes I was a suburban white kid, but I always was drawn to underdogs and misfits even at a young age. Those Claremont books were unique, scary, funny, sweet, and the family element also captured my heart. I felt like Nightcrawler, wanted to be Colossus, wanted to date Kitty, wanted to be best friends with Storm, and when the New Mutants came around all bets were off. I was no longer looking up to the X-Men as my upperclassmen, I had peers in age with the crew of goofy looking oddball superheroes that were just like me and the kids around me.

In the 90's I "grew out" of comics and never got into the animated series because of the same reason... but in the 00's when they brought back some of the New Mutants for Morrison's run I was interested but it was Wheadon writing Astonishing that brought me back in deeper because I was a die hard Buffy fan. Faded away again briefly but last year (I'm now in my mid-40's) discovered Marvel Unlimited and this goofball forum and have spent the last year re-reading everything. It's been exhausting but well worth it.
    OMG, I am the same, I discovered Marvel Unlimited and I started getting back in and catching up on what my favorite characters have been doing over the years. It's a lot of fun to grab the Rachel Summers reading list off the Internet and just go read everything to catch up on Rachel, then do the same thing for Jean and Emma too. I am starting to go back and look at some of Ilyana's stuff now.

I grab some of the newer issues on digital even though they will appear eventually on MU.

Then like you I came to this crazy forum of people who love the X-Men and I feel like I found my geeky home at last where we can all obsess about our individual characters and the different ongoing series.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

To be honest i don't relate much to the X-men, I just fell in love with the characters.
    The closest thing would be projecting Jean and Scott as my parents, they are very similar.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    When did that ever happen?
    During the height of the Satanic Panic, perhaps, when D&D was thought to be a primer to actual casting of spells and devil-worship (and some kids got drowned in bathtubs by abusers attempting to 'exorcise' them of whatever demons were making them wear black and play heavy metal music and not do everything their parents told them), which some of us old fogeys lived through.

Or perhaps he meant some other thing, that's just the first example that sprung to mind.

I started reading as off UXM #!. Started to love it when they fought Wendigo (believe that was #4 or 6) and then followed it. Around the time I was going to give up, was when Rogue showed up. That story of her not belonging anywhere, also being adopted and then was no where home (not with Mystique, not with the X-men) really touched me big time. From that moment on, I was sold.