Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default What's hurting Diana's Sales

I feel like inconsistent is the issue. That and the fact small rebooting happens

Speaking for myself, I gave up on the book when they pushed Greg Rucka off in the middle of a run that looked like it might finally resolve the problems with Azzarello's run, but still keep the good parts of it.
    And then they replaced him with James Robinson who decided to focus on Dian's random new brother for some stupid reason.
    And I just got sick of trying to sort out the pre-52, New-52, and rebirth continuity, so I just gave up on DC altogether.

Not even G Willow Wilson could entice me back; she's a great writer, but I resent losing herm writing Ms Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Speaking for myself, I gave up on the book when they pushed Greg Rucka off in the middle of a run that looked like it might finally resolve the problems with Azzarello's run, but still keep the good parts of it.
    And then they replaced him with James Robinson who decided to focus on Dian's random new brother for some stupid reason.
    And I just got sick of trying to sort out the pre-52, New-52, and rebirth continuity, so I just gave up on DC altogether.

Not even G Willow Wilson could entice me back; she's a great writer, but I resent losing herm writing Ms Marvel.
    They didn't push Rucka off. He chose to leave.

Extraordinary Member

Are her sales that bad? As far as I know she is selling in the mid 30K range, which is pretty standard for Wonder Woman.

Not saying I like the stories, but the numbers are what they are.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

He didn’t choice to leave they already had Robison when Rucka’s was on his run. Sure she is 30K but what is keeping her from increasing sales
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-16-2019 at 08:39 AM.

I don’t remember Rucka getting pushed off, he told the story he wanted to tell and set up the new status quo. Then he left to go work on his creator owned projects like Lazarus and Black Magic. If DC has pushed Rucka off AGAIN, there’s no way he’d be doing that Lois Lane book right now.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Rucks was willing to stay if the switched the title to a monthly instead of biweekly. They chose not to, so he had to leave due to workload.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    He didn’t choice to leave they already had Robison when Rucka’s was on his run. Sure she is 30K but what is keeping her from increasing sales
    In general, 30K seems to be the regular sales for Wonder Woman.

This was the case even before New52, so I don't think the sales are really hurt for reboots.

She was leaving Ms Marvel regardless - she was out of ideas for her after five years. You can see she was making plans months in advance, that's why issue 31 (Legacy#50) had guest writers, one of whom became the new regular writer from LGY#58 on.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

What's hurting Diana's sales is that, like some of the other pulp-inspired superheroes, like Hawkman, she has no real mission, anymore. Some of the crusader-types, like Wonder Boy, Captain America or Submariner, haven't had a mission, since World War II. The alternative is what we see: Wonder Woman reacting to things happening to her, ..making seem a guest in her own comic. She's just sort of leaping around, with no consistent motivation for readers to care about.

To make matters worse, she and the other adventurer heroes suffer from less than imaginative story-telling. The kind of narrative invention that it takes to send a character, like Wonder Woman or Hawkman, into a lost empire, secret civilization or bizarre dimension, every MONTH, ..doesn't seem to exist anymore. [How did they ever do it, in the Golden and Silver Ages?! Amazing!] Hence, we're bludgeoned with one story, after another, about warring Greek gods ..or Circe's attacks, springing from some hackneyed, unfounded hatred of Amazons. Dr. Marston's and Robert Kanigher's imagination...

Where is it?

It doesn't help that the WW comic offers no familiar, endearing recurring characters, settings and other elements for readers to follow or emotionally invest in, like Doctor Zarkov, the Warriors Three, a Batcave, Jimmy Olsen, Daily Bugle, Aunt May, Gotham City, Chunk, Mrs. Moneypenny, etc.

All of these things, I think, conspire to make the WW comic, a deservedly low-seller. Deservedly...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-16-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

Again, what do people mean by hurting?

She is selling a little under The Flash and better than Captain Marvel.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Again, what do people mean by hurting?

She is selling a little under The Flash and better than Captain Marvel.
    I think it's just the perennial problem that she should be selling more based on her iconic status - more so now after the film.

People have these same conversations about Fantastic Four and other classic characters whose sales don't match their rep.

For me, what's holding WW back is that they never took the chance to build a 'Wonder family' of books, with spin-off titles that create a little corner of the universe for WW, like Batman and Superman have

Extraordinary Member

I think it's just the perennial problem that she should be selling more based on her iconic status - more so now after the film.

People have these same conversations about Fantastic Four and other classic characters whose sales don't match their rep.

For me, what's holding WW back is that they never took the chance to build a 'Wonder family' of books, with spin-off titles that create a little corner of the universe for WW, like Batman and Superman have
    Or it’s that she’s a she.

What, I’m the only one thinking it?

But really, for me this is a straw mN argument. Her books are selling in the mid 30k range, which is better than Supergirl, Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, X-23, and Batgirl. The only female characters outselling her seem to be Catwoman and Harley - both of whom ride the cape of the bat god.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-17-2019 at 12:49 AM.

I think it's just the perennial problem that she should be selling more based on her iconic status - more so now after the film...For me, what's holding WW back is that they never took the chance to build a 'Wonder family' of books, with spin-off titles that create a little corner of the universe for WW, like Batman and Superman have
    There has to be a Wonder Woman family developed in the WW comic, before the spin-offs can happen, unfortunately. I hear you, and I agree. Anything or anyone, who can carry an eagle-insignia or wear an Amazonium bracelet, should be leaping around in WW and titles, like JL, Superman, Batman, Titans, etc.

And the poaching of characters, created for use in WW has to stop. Writers, who handle I Ching or the Adjudicator, don't make much of an effort to point back to the WW comic. What is worse is that most of these characters have nothing that identifies them as WW-related, - no costume, insignia, nothing! So, importing them to other titles does very little for WW.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Or it’s that she’s a she.

What, I’m the only one thinking it?
    No. Actually, ..you are not.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    There has to be a Wonder Woman family developed in the WW comic, before the spin-offs can happen, unfortunately. I hear you, and I agree. Anything or anyone, who can carry an eagle-insignia or wear an Amazonium bracelet, should be leaping around in WW and titles, like JL, Superman, Batman, Titans, etc.

And the poaching of characters, created for use in WW has to stop. Writers, who handle I Ching or the Adjudicator, don't make much of an effort to point back to the WW comic. What is worse is that most of these characters have nothing that identifies them as WW-related, - no costume, insignia, nothing! So, importing them to other titles does very little for WW.

No. Actually, ..you are not.
    If those books want I Ching they can keep him.