13 22.03%
  • Total Recal

0 0%
  • Evil Dead

0 0%
  • X-Men

9 15.25%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Which once loved franchise has been damaged the most through remakes/sequels?

It's not surprising that so many studios have tried to make money of older IP, but it's also frustrating that so many of the franchises that were so liked have now been tarnished. I know the argument is that it shouldn't reflect the love of the originals, but it does to me. I feel like Back to the Future is the only one that hasn't been ruined.

As much as I don't like a lot of these movies, there is something about the cheapness and trashiness of the new Terminator movies that feel so much worse compared to the others. It doesn't seem like they were made by professionals. I also didn't include The Matrix because they all came out around the same time. For this poll I was thinking specifically of franchises that were spread out over many years.

Thoughts?

Never saw the Terminator, Robocop, Alien, Predator, Die Hard, Total Recall, or Evil Dead movies, so I can't comment on them.

Personally, I think Jurassic Park and Star Wars have weathered the problems of keeping the sequels good quite well. JP3 is the only actual bad movie of its series (and even then, I've seen worse) and while the Star Wars prequels are contentious, Disney has been killing it with Solo being the only true disappointment. X-Men has been all over the place and I do think that it's sad that it's last few movies lead the series to end on a whimper instead of a bang (although I don't really get the hate for stuff like Apocalypse or Dark Phoenix; both were perfectly fine for what they were).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Terminator and Star Wars are the worst offenders for me.

Terminator used to be great, but only with the first 2 films, or maybe it was because I was a kid when I watched them. I don't remember much about the Sarah Conner Chronicles, but since I don't remember it too well it didn't leave much of an impression.

I really enjoyed Logan, but otherwise I don't bother with X-men films anymore, there are just way too many and they keep messing the continuity.

Jurassic World is meh. I still watch Star Wars, but haven't seen Solo because my schedule was too busy at the time so I missed it.

It always used to be accepted that any sequel at all would be a lazy cash-in, so Terminator and Alien were already well ahead of the game by having one good sequel. Die Hard 2 and 3 were ok, but after that it’s not even recognisably Die Hard anymore. Star Wars was obviously always conceived as a long running saga, but the production values on the original trilogy were unprecedented for that type of movie at the time, and the prequels showed that the lightning-in-a-bottle quality of those would not be recreated as the butter of the series began to spread out over way too bread.

With most of these, it’s a bit depressing when you see a trailer with a bunch of TV actors and a cameo from a now-one-hundred-year-old Arnold, but it’s only the good old movies you’re ever going to put on the blu-ray after the pub.

Astonishing Member

No Highlander?

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    No Highlander?
    I'm curious, which aspect of Highlander do you not like? There are many to choose from.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    No Highlander?
    Highlander is weird because it sequels tried to be a sequels to the original film while ignoring all other sequels. Personally I like Highlander 2 on it's own cool Sci-Fi concept and Michael Ironside as a villain is pure joy. Highlander 3 was OK but felt very VOD and Endgame is my favorite sequel for one remembering Rachel and I was a fan of the TV series. The Source is just bad IMO and the worst.

Worst to me is Reeve Superman films because while I enjoy all on some level the franchises went from one of the great films of all time IMO to a lesser film, to camp, and ending with something that looked like a DTV film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Highlander is weird because it sequels tried to be a sequels to the original film while ignoring all other sequels. Personally I like Highlander 2 on it's own cool Sci-Fi concept and Michael Ironside as a villain is pure joy. Highlander 3 was OK but felt very VOD and Endgame is my favorite sequel for one remembering Rachel and I was a fan of the TV series. The Source is just bad IMO and the worst.

Worst to me is Reeve Superman films because while I enjoy all on some level the franchises went from one of the great films of all time IMO to a lesser film, to camp, and ending with something that looked like a DTV film.
    Yeah, the Christopher Reeves Superman movies are my pick. Loved the first 2, but it went downhill real fast afterwards.

I'd vote Alien/Terminator

Both had excellent first parts, and both are in the running for best sequel ever (thanks James Cameron), but have just fallen apart after. Between the the two I'd say Terminator has fallen a bit harder since at least Covenant was hyped up even though it didn't deliver, Genisys was utterly forgettable. If Dark Fate doesn't turn it around I don't know what they'd do.

Not sure why Evil Dead is on this list, it was never the biggest franchise, and people genuinely liked the remake and Ash vs Evil Dead series.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

I forgot to include Indiana Jones. I guess I blocked the last one out.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Police Academy. Though generally speaking it isn't as much a beloved franchise as it is a well regarded single film with many forgettable sequels, and spin-offs. Robocop also fits that bill, granted even at their worst the Robocop movies and shows are very watchable. Just not tonally consistent.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I'd vote Halloween if it were included.

The Terminators after T2 were Average, but still watchable. Same with Alien after A2.

With Halloween, I liked I, IV, H20, and Zombie's I. The others were unnecessary. I recently saw the newest reboot, "H40," and I thought H20 did it better.

I was surprised in the difference between how much praise it got, and how little I was impressed with it.

BANNED

Where is Halloween?
    Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers and that Resurrection floating turd, in which, Tyra Banks thought she was in America's Next Top Dork, almost brought the end of the franchise.

Eh, I don't know if I believe a franchise can ultimately be hurt in the long run. Sure, various sequels and prequels, remakes and reboots might all fail, but the classic originals remain just that, classic, and it only takes one great new entry in a franchise to bring it all back on track. The trick sadly is just getting that one great new addition,