• Total Recal

0 0%
  • Evil Dead

0 0%
  • X-Men

9 15.25%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not likely; the good stuff there will cast some long shadows.
    Most of the Foxmen has aged terribly. The Goodstuff is in short supply.

With the "Terminator..." films, I can just chalk the highs and lows up to that the very nature of the premise seems pretty fluid.

Now, the "Alien..." films? Whole other ballgame. None of the films before the prequel really pointed to whatever is going on in the prequels being a possibility. Never mind that the prequels absolutely seem to revolve around technology far ahead of the the "Main" series of films which are obviously taking place after the prequels.

For me, it's the "Alien..." films pretty easily. Just way too far off of the rails, with seemingly no way to ever make all of the pieces fit into a cohesive whole.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Most of the Foxmen has aged terribly. The Goodstuff is in short supply.
    Out of all twelve movies made so far (not counting Once Upon a Deadpool, since it's just a modified recut of a preexisting movie), you got 7 that are considered good to excellent (X2, First Class, The Wolverine, Days of Future Past, Logan, Deadpool 1 and 2), 1 that may not have aged perfectly but is understandable why it was a big deal at the time (the original), and four that are considered bad and/or failed at the box office (The Last Stand, Origins Wolverine, Apocalypse, and Dark Phoenix).

As far as batting averages go, 8/12 is pretty darn good; that's a 66% success rate, which is hard to do in a long-running series like this.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    With the "Terminator..." films, I can just chalk the highs and lows up to that the very nature of the premise seems pretty fluid.

Now, the "Alien..." films? Whole other ballgame. None of the films before the prequel really pointed to whatever is going on in the prequels being a possibility. Never mind that the prequels absolutely seem to revolve around technology far ahead of the the "Main" series of films which are obviously taking place after the prequels.

For me, it's the "Alien..." films pretty easily. Just way too far off of the rails, with seemingly no way to ever make all of the pieces fit into a cohesive whole.

It seems to be a problem with a lot of prequels. Take Star Trek for example, the technology in Enterprise and Discovery seems way ahead of TOS, and even the later movies and spin-offs.

I've seen this criticism gone toward Star Wars as well, although in that case it can be argued that some of the OT technology is superior (Such as the Death Star) and fancy ships such as the Naboo ships were made in a more peaceful, less manufactured era.

The Alien excuse I think is that Nostromo, Sulaco etc. were pretty much not the same type of ship as Prometheus or Covenant I think, and hence 'lower budget'.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth