Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Is Kang a top 5 Marvel Villain?

Even now moving past Thanos in the mcu, he's not really being brought up as the next big threat. Everyone is ready to see Doom, Galactus, and to see how mutants are diced in. Rumors are Korvac and Osborn might be next..lol. So why is Kang treated like a semi joke??

Niffleheim

Did I miss Feige announcing the next phase?

Kang has a weird design, an extremely convoluted history, and his most critical stories came from one writer 15 years ago.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Kang is a pretty complicated villain. He has so many incarnations Rama-Tut (Pharaoh who is tied to Apocalypse), Immortus (a future version of a man already from the future and father of Carol's rapist/son), Iron Lad (Young Avenger), Scarlet Centurion (Don't remember much about him), and base Kang the Conqueror, the Council of Kangs.

Seriously, this guy competes with Xehanort with the amount of convoluted nonsense he pulls and wins.

I can see why Avengers EMH has him be a more straightforward villain while Avengers Assemble has him be a generic time traveling *******.

BANNED

Sounds like everyone think he's not worth investing into because of the convolution.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    Sounds like everyone think he's not worth investing into because of the convolution.
    He's definately one of the more complicated villains to tackle.

That said, I think more than anything he's simply not a priority. Marvel getting all the Fox properites back means they're getting a LOT of villains which I suspect marvel simply wants to play with more. Doom and Magneto likely have to be at the top of their list. Doesn't mean they won't get to Kang eventually... but he's likely the first person on their list.

Boisterously Confused

Kang didn't really start out all that complex, he just got that way as writers began conflating him with first Rama Tut, then Immortus, with a side-trip to "is he or isn't he the future Dr. Doom?"

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes did it right. Strip him down to the essentials: a time-traveling conquistador, with technologies that make him (at the very least) the equal of even the most powerful Avenger, with a whole army at his beck-and-call, and give him an excuse for a mad-on at Our Heroes.

As for the comics, Kang should be one of the premiere nightmares of the MU, but he's not going to be allowed to trump Dr. Doom. His costume could be tweaked a bit to make him more impressive, but as it is, he doesn't display the menace of Ultron. Of course, given the Ultron the MCU gave us, we should maybe be grateful nobody's talking about Kang.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Kang has a weird design, an extremely convoluted history, and his most critical stories came from one writer 15 years ago.
    How dare you forget the Celestial Madonna arc, and it’s sequel, the Crossing.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Most of the really great villains Marvel has are generally complex and not purely villainous. I tend to prefer that type over the mustache twirling villains anyway. Off the top of my head, we have Magneto (X-Men), Dr. Doom (FF), Red Skull (Cap), Mephisto (Supernatural), and.....drawing a blank. I'd say the fifth slot is shared by Ultron and Kang/Rama-Tut/Immortus. Kang's convoluted past & future do hamstring the character a bit, but keeping up with convoluted comic book continuity is part of the fun

I think the lack of Kang speculation for the MCU just comes down to him being less known than Doom, Galactus, Osborn, etc. Those are characters that are fairly well known to a larger audience, so they're going to get talked up a lot.

But I don't think that would be an obstacle to him joining the MCU. If they can do an Eternals movie, they're clearly still unconcerned with the notability of the characters they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    Did I miss Feige announcing the next phase?
    No, there's not been anything officially announced for the next phase yet. There's a few movies that are too far along in development to be kept secret – we know Black Widow, Eternals and Shang-Chi are happening. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 as well. But, officially, they're unannounced. Which basically just means they don't have logos, but still, technicalities.

We're fairly likely to hear some official announcements at SDCC. If not then, D23.

They need to streamline his look. The box head won't work in live action.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    On the other hand, how many times have people said "that won't work in live action", and then Marvel just does it anyways and it works?

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I like Kang. A time travelling conquer with advanced tech and a army behind him is a solid concept.

Not sure what his last decent story was? Probably the whole inhumans think with blackbolt and medusa's kid.

Being a top villain doesn't depend on the movies. Marvel may not want to use him as a villain because they just did a big time travel based movie

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    On the other hand, how many times have people said "that won't work in live action", and then Marvel just does it anyways and it works?
    never. it has never worked.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I agree with this. He should wear more a battle armor when he is heading into a fight. Lose the thigh high boots and go more armor but keep the green tunic and helmet though, just down play them a little. I like how he looked in that Avengers story with his helmet looking not so boxey.