View Poll Results: Justice Society of America favorite members: from Golden Age through 1998

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Canary (Dinah Drake Lance)

27 29.03%
  • Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson)

52 55.91%
  • Dr. Mid-Nite (Charles McNider)

20 21.51%
  • The Flash (Jay Garrick)

52 55.91%
  • Green Lantern (Alan Scott)

47 50.54%
  • Hawkgirl (Shiera Sanders Hall)

30 32.26%
  • Hawkman (Carter Hall)

35 37.63%
  • Huntress (Helena Wayne)

29 31.18%
  • Power Girl (Karen Starr / Kara Zor-L)

35 37.63%
  • Robin (Dick Grayson)

14 15.05%
  • The Sandman (Wesley Dodds)

33 35.48%
  • Star-Spangled Kid (Sylvester Pemberton)

10 10.75%
  • Superman (Clark Kent / Kal-L)

15 16.13%
  • Wildcat (Ted Grant)

42 45.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Justice Society of America favorite members: from Golden Age through 1998

NOTE: This poll is formed by taking the top vote getters from each of two previous threads/pollsas of Saturday, June 15, 2009.

The members listed on each of those polls were only those who first became members of the Justice Society of America during the Golden Age (starting with All Star Comics #3 in 1940) up to before the 1999 relaunch of the JSA in JSA Secret Files #1.

So, the following were the top seven vote-getters (in alphabetical order) among the regular members during the Golden Age run (1940-1951):
    * Black Canary (Dinah Drake Lance)
    * Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson)
    * Dr. Mid-Nite (Charles McNider)
    * The Flash (Jay Garrick)
    * Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
    * Hawkman (Carter Hall)
    * The Sandman (Wesley Dodds)

And the top seven vote-getters (again, in alphabetical order) from those members who started as honorary members or guest-stars during the Golden Age and/or became more regular members during the Silver Age and later:
    * Hawkgirl (Shiera Sanders Hall)
    * Huntress (Helena Wayne)
    * Power Girl (Karen Starr / Kara Zor-L)
    * Robin (Dick Grayson)
    * Star-Spangled Kid (Sylvester Pemberton)
    * Superman (Clark Kent / Kal-L)
    * Wildcat (Ted Grant)

As in previous versions of these polls, you are allowed to vote for more than one character, but please try to limit it to no more than seven. (Poll allows options for either single vote or multiple votes; not for a set number like "7".)

As for the previous threads / polls in this series:
    And the thread/poll that combines the top vote-getters from Poll III and Poll IV,
    JSA/Justice Society of America Poll: favorite members (from 1999-2008)
    (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...rom-1999-2008))
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 06-16-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Jay Garrick all the way!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Jay Garrick all the way!
    But did you also vote for anybody else?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But did you also vote for anybody else?
    Not on this one! There are a couple characters I like, but they aren’t on the same tier as Jay.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

*Slides in* I voted for Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.

I always thought Jay and Alan were cool. My mom was a fan of the Green Lantern, so I had to give him a vote regardless. That’s not cheating... >_>

My votes for this one went to (in alphabetical order):
    Black Canary (Dinah Drake Lance)
    Dr. Mid-Nite (Charles McNider)
    The Flash (Jay Garrick)
    Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
    Huntress (Helena Wayne)
    The Sandman (Wesley Dodds)
    Wildcat (Ted Grant)

But my vote for Wesley Dodds is for his original green-suit-and-gas-mask look; the yellow-and-purple later outfit (with his wirepoon gun) isn't as interesting to me.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I voted for Alan Scott, since when I wear a red shirt and my Green Lantern cape I got from Six Flags, I look like him.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

In order of favorites:

1) Superman
    2) Power Girl
    3) Green Lantern
    4) Flash
    5) Dr. Fate

I could have done more but those are the biggest ones.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member

That was a tough one!

Kent Nelson, Helena Wayne and Dick Grayson were automatic, for me, but I also picked Black Canary, Hawkgirl, Dr. Midnight, and was torn between Wildcat and Star-Spangled Kid. I would have picked Ted, but if this was a seven-person team, Ted alongside Robin, Huntress, Black Canary and Dr. Midnight was just a little too much 'two fisted adventurer' and Syl provided a little more oomph. As it is, Dr. Fate is the odd man out, being pretty high tier compared to the others...

But I wasn't going to pick a Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. since I was trying to make a Justice Society, not a Justice League.

(And even then, I still picked a Black Canary and a Hawkgirl! Still, Danette Reilly/Firebrand wasn't an option, so beggers can't be choosers!)

Honestly picked everyone, I would say Star-Spangled Kid is my least favorite if I had to pick one but I don't dislike him at all. It's hard picking favorites, I don't generally like it since my opinion can just change in an instant.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    . . . But I wasn't going to pick a Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. since I was trying to make a Justice Society, not a Justice League.
    Uh, the Golden Age versions of Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman were members of the JSA YEARS before there ever was a "Justice League of America".

. . . (And even then, I still picked a Black Canary and a Hawkgirl! Still, Danette Reilly/Firebrand wasn't an option, so beggers can't be choosers!)
    Uh, Danette / Firebrand was never a member of the Justice Society of America, so there was no reason to include her on a poll of favorite JSA members.

(You do know who the Justice Society of America was, don't you?)

I know the golden age Superman, Batman, etc were members but it is hard for me to accept their associations with the JSA. Probably because I haven’t had a lot of exposure to the golden age stories.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

That was a tough one!

Kent Nelson, Helena Wayne and Dick Grayson were automatic, for me, but I also picked Black Canary, Hawkgirl, Dr. Midnight, and was torn between Wildcat and Star-Spangled Kid. I would have picked Ted, but if this was a seven-person team, Ted alongside Robin, Huntress, Black Canary and Dr. Midnight was just a little too much 'two fisted adventurer' and Syl provided a little more oomph. As it is, Dr. Fate is the odd man out, being pretty high tier compared to the others...

But I wasn't going to pick a Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. since I was trying to make a Justice Society, not a Justice League.

(And even then, I still picked a Black Canary and a Hawkgirl! Still, Danette Reilly/Firebrand wasn't an option, so beggers can't be choosers!)
    Alan Scott and Jay Garrick were only members of the JSA and, in fact, were founding members of the JSA.
    Assassinate Putin!

I know the golden age Superman, Batman, etc were members but it is hard for me to accept their associations with the JSA. Probably because I haven’t had a lot of exposure to the golden age stories.
    Technically, Superman and Batman were "honorary members" only throughout the Golden Age run.
    (That's because they each starred in their own self-titled books from the beginning of the JSA's run, and because of how DC was structured at the time.)

Flash and Green Lantern went from regular member status to "honorary members" when each of them earned their own self-titled books early in the JSA's run in All-Star Comics, but later went back to being full-time regular members again during the Golden Age period.

The slight variations in their costumes always made me like them more than their JLA counterparts during the 70’s...
    Also the cover of Adventure Comics 462 is still one of my favourite.
    As for voting for favourites, I can’t really as I like all the original Golden Age characters and would also include the All-Star Squadron members as well.