Incredible Member

Default Leitmoti in Marvel Studios

I know this has been talked about a lot, so I'll try and keep it brief.

One of the biggest problems in the past for Marvel Studios has been the constant changing of composers and the lack of leitmotif between films. I think all the examples of inter-film use are...

1. Alan Silvestri's Captain America theme briefly plays in the very first moments of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Other than that, however, Henry Jackman introduces his own Captain America theme.

2. Alan Silvestri's Avengers themes play briefly in Avengers: Age of Ultron just after the opening action sequence, when the quinjet returns to New York. Other than that, the main theme by Danny Elfman is supposed to apparently be a version of the Silvestri theme, but I fail to really hear it.
    Also, Brian Tyler, who composed about half of Age of Ultron, reuses both his Iron Man (when the Hulkbuster armor debuts) and Thor (as Thor saves falling cars during the battle of Sokovia) themes from Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World.

3. Henry Jackman reuses his Winter Soldier theme in Civil War, but his Captain America theme curiously never shows up.

4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 became the first Marvel sequel to bring back the OG composer, reusing the main themes properly.

5. Mark Mothersbaugh makes great use of multiple pieces from previous films in Thor: Ragnarok. Brian Tyler's music from Thor: The Dark World, which played during Frigga's funeral (and may have played during Loki's "death" scene, I can't remember) is played diegetically by the chorus during the theater reenactment of Loki's "death." More of Brian Tyler's music, from the scene in Avengers: Age of Ultron, when Natasha gives a "lullaby" to Hulk, is replayed when Thor tries to do the same in the arena. Then, Patrick Doyle's original Thor music plays at the end of the film, as Thor takes the throne of Asgard.
    The credits list Hulk's Lonely Man theme as well, though I just rewatched the film and didn't notice it anywhere.

6. Silvestri triumphantly returned, along with his Avengers themes, for Infinity War, and he also uses Ludwig Goransson's Black Panther music for the introduction of Wakanda.

7. Ant-Man became the second franchise to immediately bring back the OG composer for the second film, Christophe Beck, complete with his themes.

8. Silvestri returned again for Endgame, this time using his Captain America themes multiple times (Tony debuting the new shield, Cap wielding the hammer, and Steve's last scene), which I don't believe showed up in Infinity War. (EDIT: Also, the Tesseract theme from the opening moments of hte first Avengers also shows up in the track "The How Works," as the team discusses their plans to retrieve the stones).
    He also used Beck's Ant-Man theme, Pinar Toprak's Captain Marvel theme, and I believe even some of Mark Mothersbaugh's music representing Asgard from Thor: Ragnarok, though the use of the former two is not on the soundtrack!

9. Michael Giacchino is set to return to Spider-Man in Far from Home, only the third franchsie to immediately reuse the OG composer.

Did I miss anything? What would you like to see return in the future?
    Last edited by Slimybug; 06-16-2019 at 08:32 PM.

There's about four sets of Marvel music I recognize. Silvestri's work on Captain America and the Avengers is iconic, to me. I was so glad they brought him back for IW/EG, and even happier when he went back to the old Cap themes in Endgame. One detail is that Silvestri's HYDRA theme from TFA gets morphed into a theme for the Tesseract in Avengers, and I believe is subtly referenced in Infinity War as a general theme for the stones.

I'd also be able to identify the cues for the Winter Soldier (character, not film). Nothing else from Jackman's work on those two films, just the bits for Winter Soldier.

Giacchino's theme for Strange is very recognizable, though more in style and instrument choice than melody. I suppose by the same criteria, Mothersbaugh's Thor work is too.

I think I'd enjoy it if they stuck to Silvestri's theme for Cap for any Sam Wilson Cap appearances.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    One detail is that Silvestri's HYDRA theme from TFA gets morphed into a theme for the Tesseract in Avengers, and I believe is subtly referenced in Infinity War as a general theme for the stones.
    I've never noticed a similarity between the themes for Hydra and the Tesseract, and I don't remember the Tesseract music (which was used in the very opening moments of the first Avengers) being in Infinity War, but I do remember that music showing up in Endgame as the Avengers discuss the stones (the track in the soundtrack is "The How Works." So that's, at least, another leitmotif between films!
    Last edited by Slimybug; 06-16-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

The Thor/Asgard theme from the first one used to be my favourite (that entire score is beautiful and underrated in my opinion). I want to hear more of it. The littlest things in movies can make me cry and I did when it played in Ragnarok lol.

I never really liked anything done with Iron Man so I don't care for that, but I loved Cap's stuff from TWS. Hoping we can get more of Bucky's haunting theme.

Black Panther is my favourite Marvel theme and score so it needs to return. After the Avengers theme it's probably the most recognisable too.

Something tells me if we're getting more Avengers movies they might have a different theme, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

Oh, right, Black Panther's music. That was great. I don't know how I spaced out on that.