Default Melinda May (Agents of SHIELD) vs Sara Lance (Legends of Tomorrow)

No weapons. Hand-to-hand. Who wins?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Well, the fight will be agonizing to watch...

Setting aside choreography, what sorts of limits have either character shown? Does one casually wade through groups of people while the other struggles? Does one of them beat up clearly superhuman people, while the other is forced to fight a stalling battle while other people work out how to beat the super person? What sorts of physical feats do each of them show?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Well, the fight will be agonizing to watch...

Setting aside choreography, what sorts of limits have either character shown? Does one casually wade through groups of people while the other struggles? Does one of them beat up clearly superhuman people, while the other is forced to fight a stalling battle while other people work out how to beat the super person? What sorts of physical feats do each of them show?
    May once bested Ward in a tug of war with the Berseker staff, a weapon which grants the user an adrenaline rush and burst of super strength fueled by rage. In season 5, she held her own against a psychic while she suffering a bad leg and her moves were too fast for said psychic to predict.

Sara has been shown as a bullet timer and being able to dodge arrows.

If Sara is a bullet-timer (feats?) and actually strong enough to hurt May, I would say that's all she wrote. Moves 'too fast to predict' just means May's actual reaction time and speed are higher than the psychic's, unless the psychic has actual precog, in which case we're talking about May being too fast for future-vision to predict, which is nonsensical.

Barring May having some ridiculous durability allowing her to tank everything Sara throws at her, Sara (if actually a bullet-timer) should blitz and put her down.

Mileage may vary, and I'm currently just going by what I'm being told, here. ^_^ Beyond some fight scenes with May I forced myself to watch due to a Rumble, I know little-to-nothing about any of the characters (including this Ward guy).
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I don't remember Sara bullet-timing (though I am going by what I remember from her on Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow S1-S2), however she is definitely fast and skilled enough to keep up with Oliver and defeat Malcolm Merlyn, who are fast enough to catch arrows and among the most skilled fighters in the Arrowverse (aside from Vandal Savage, Ra's Al Ghul, and maybe Batman when we'll catch a glimpse of him). However, IIRC she is a bit lacking in terms of damage soak/durability, which isn't May's case.

Regarding May, I left Agents of SHIELD during S3, which was a few years ago now, I remember her being presented as being on the same level as Black Widow, but I don't remember feats on that level, aside from soaking some damage against a super-strong meta.

I'll need to do some research

Ooo, feats now need to be presented. What has Sara done that makes her a bullet-timer? What other feats does she have?
    Why are we here?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I don't recall Sara ever being presented as a bullet timer.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Mighty Member

If this were a scenario fight, I'd pick May to win because she's just that damn good at using the environment to turn tables on beings and people stronger than her and winning.

But an arena fight with no weapons? That's a tough one, though if I recall correctly, May fights hth more than Sara, who usually relies on her weapons when she fights.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I don't recall Sara ever being presented as a bullet timer.
    If she's not a bullet-timer, then I'll need to hunt down feats and fights.

Nope, not gonna do that. I'll leave this discussion to others. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

She's as fast as the good human fighters in the Arrow-verse. This means likely fast enough to deflect arrows. She displays decent striking force, most of the time, again, like the good Arrow-verse fighters. She doesn't really display tremendous soak that I recall, as good Arrow-verse fighters generally fight against toilet paper disguised as humans.

Mai is probably around the same level in skill and strength. And, as bad as AoS fight choreography can be, Arrow is kind of the gold standard for "bad fight scenes."

Mai definitely displays better soak though. She also has the presentation and reputation as one of the two or three most dangerous people to work for an agency that specializes in creating boatloads of REALLY dangerous people, and demonstrates that she's superior to the others basically any time she has to do so.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Ooo, feats now need to be presented. What has Sara done that makes her a bullet-timer? What other feats does she have?
    I haven't seen the new season that just went up on Netflix yet so I may have missed something but I've never seen anything that would qualify Sara Lance as a bullet-timer. If there is something, it is likely a one-off.

These two are not characters that I've paid close attention to their fights but they seem a fairly decent match as in it's hard to say who would win. The best feat I've ever seen from Sara was when she fought a samurai and stabbed him with a knife secreted up her sleeve that slid into her hand while they were fighting with swords.

I think there is an implication that Sara is closer to being able to take on CBPHs than May but that's implication, not feats.
    Power with Girl is better.

If Sara is a bullet-timer (feats?) and actually strong enough to hurt May, I would say that's all she wrote. Moves 'too fast to predict' just means May's actual reaction time and speed are higher than the psychic's, unless the psychic has actual precog, in which case we're talking about May being too fast for future-vision to predict, which is nonsensical.

Barring May having some ridiculous durability allowing her to tank everything Sara throws at her, Sara (if actually a bullet-timer) should blitz and put her down.

Mileage may vary, and I'm currently just going by what I'm being told, here. ^_^ Beyond some fight scenes with May I forced myself to watch due to a Rumble, I know little-to-nothing about any of the characters (including this Ward guy).
    For May's feats with the psychic, the psychic wasn't pre-cog, just reading her mind to anticipate her moves. But this also implies that May perhaps fights more instinctually and tactically as well in addition to being faster than the pre-cogs' reaction and powers, if she can fight with skill without really thinking about it. As if she slipped into a mode where fighting is as natural as breathing if she gets into that mode -- it's not her default state BUT she's clearly capable of ascending to that level if she needs to.

A couple feats this season include her taking down a giant of a man (alien?) who otherwise caused their own strongman Mack to retreat. In the past, she's also been able to hold her own against a couple Asgardians, even if she couldn't actually hurt them.

I don't know about Sara being a bullet timer (or feats comparable to other h2h fighters in the Arrowverse), but I just wanted to say that aim-dodging =/= bullet-timing. However, deflecting arrows seems more reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    She's as fast as the good human fighters in the Arrow-verse. This means likely fast enough to deflect arrows. She displays decent striking force, most of the time, again, like the good Arrow-verse fighters. She doesn't really display tremendous soak that I recall, as good Arrow-verse fighters generally fight against toilet paper disguised as humans.

Mai is probably around the same level in skill and strength. And, as bad as AoS fight choreography can be, Arrow is kind of the gold standard for "bad fight scenes."

Mai definitely displays better soak though. She also has the presentation and reputation as one of the two or three most dangerous people to work for an agency that specializes in creating boatloads of REALLY dangerous people, and demonstrates that she's superior to the others basically any time she has to do so.

sad that once upon a time they were able to throw in a few good ones here and there.