Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Raven's current "face palm" costume the ugliest in comics?

If not, what is the ugliest superhero costume? And what is your favorite Raven costume?
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

Personally I don't think its the ugliest in comics, even if I preferred her old costume more.
    The J-man

BANNED

I said it before and i'll say it again without a care in the world. Her N52 costume is awesome.

Astonishing Member

I thought Alan Scott's previous uniform was the ugliest in DC comics.

I don't know if the ugliest but it's definitely up there. I can't wait until it's a distant memory.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I kinda like it....maybe if it was on a different character. But I like the design haha.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

It might not be so bad for a different character. It simply pales in comparison to this:
    Raven 1.jpg

and this:
    Raven 2.jpg

Those costumes are simple, elegant, and they suit her character perfectly.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Strange, I know her name is Raven but I never thought that her costume needed feathers. Especially on her face.

BANNED

It's one of the worst redesigns as far as I am concerned.

I quite liked the old costume because it had a timeless elegance about it, which is probably why it remained mostly the same for 30+ years, kinda like Superman's classic attire. The cape and hood was enough to give that little wink to the birds, and the shadows it left her face in was enough to make her look mysterious and occasionally creepy the same way the Phantom Stanger's face was.

The New 52 costume however has treated the original design as a template and then just gone mad with a million details added. The cape is now a collection of a hundred smaller capes that I suppose is meant to look like feathers, there are feathers on her boots, theres even feathers on the body suit she wears underneath but only to for a sort of cover of her private parts, her gloves now actually have claws on them for some reason.
    But the biggest gripe I have with it, is the helmet. Even if she can see perfectly fine with it on, apparently, I think it looks utterly stupid when there's nothing to suggest it. Secondly, it makes her look like one of those digi/pokemon critters. And to me it just takes away the mystique the hood+shadows combination provided.

Overall the design just seems to treat the view as an idiot because they couldn't stop adding visual cues regarding her name also being that of a species of bird. If they had done the same thing to Batman, we would probably be looking at an outfit that resembled Man-Bat more than anything else.
    Also the design is pretty much going against todays trends in design. Looking at smartphones for instance, the designers do everything to hide all the buttons; this is the kind of thing I've equated to Perez's original design; simple and elegant, with no need for added frills. The New 52 by comparison is best equated to one of those phones that had an entire keyboard on the front, which made it unwieldy and ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I said it before and i'll say it again without a care in the world. Her N52 costume is awesome.

Agreed a lot

Boisterously Confused

Hideous does not begin to cover it. Perez original was elegant and suggested the mysterious nature of the character. This ... well ...
    images.jpg
    ...with wings.

BANNED

Yes, the worst...

BANNED

It's not as bad as people are making out to be. I'll admit the design took me by surprise but eventually I started to like it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Personally I don't think its the ugliest in comics, even if I preferred her old costume more.
    I believe that's the correct answer.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?