View Poll Results: Rate "HUNTED"

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • A---one of the very best stories in recent memory

    6 12.50%
  • B---very very good; solid story with some flaws

    24 50.00%
  • C---Just OK; would not re-read

    13 27.08%
  • D-Underwhelming; a real letdown

    4 8.33%
  • F---Terrible; a bad story in every way

    0 0%
  • INCOMPLETE---Did Not Read

    1 2.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Rate "HUNTED"

  1. #1
    Moderator oldschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,656

    Default Rate "HUNTED"

    So.....now that Spencer's first big multi-part arc is over (complete with last week's Epilogue), what do you think? Let's vote!!
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

  2. #2
    Moderator oldschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,656

    Default

    By the way, I voted "A" which---to me---does not mean it's quite on the same level as stories like the Master Planner saga or The Night Gwen Stacy Died. Those are A+ Spidey stories whereas "Hunted" to me is a solid "A"--it checks off all the boxes I look for with a big arc like this (great action, compelling antagonist(s), tension, drama, some humor, great cast, Spidey shows his humanity and all the primary cast members are left in a different place with great lead ins for future stories).
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,528

    Default

    I would consider it a "very very good" story, though I would lean in closer to calling it an A-.

    It's a very nice wrap up of the now "Kraven trilogy", with a good use of structure and exploring interesting ideas regarding both Spider-Man and Kraven. I also think it does a good job of balancing its size (with it being a 12 issue story), with its fairly smaller scope in comparison, it doesn't feel like it needs to be bigger than it already is just because its a "big" story, instead uses its time to tell all it wants to say.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, West Coast Avengers, Ms. Marvel, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Avengers, Sonic The Hedgehog

  4. #4

    Default

    A for me too. I think it's a solid event issue. The overall story is good and the standalones - the ".HU" are all great.

    We got some classic beats like Black Ant and Taskmaster as essentially "The Walrus and the Carpenter" of villains in that you aren't sure which of them is more awful and terrible than the other, and the bigger hypocrite. We got defining character moments for Felicia with Billy. And we got a Curt Connors and Lizard with actual poignant internal conflict and parental guilt, shame, and loathing that's truly dark stuff.

  5. #5
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    6,053

    Default

    I hate grades! It's an A, though. The first 6 months of the Supreme Commander's run had me more hungry for things to go off than invested in current things, but this was the good West Coast burger with all the pickles. Best arc since Norman realized what the superior Mountain Dew flavor is.
    Omega Level Rodent Fighter

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,315

    Default

    B- (minus) a solid story, which seemed to drag towards the end, but nothing to write home about, IMO.

    Edit - I don't like the concept of Kraven's "clone son" basically replacing him as it feels like a cheap have your cake and eat it too move, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Celgress; 06-17-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    "I'm sorry, but your story isn't adding up. I think your religion is a lie to keep my mouth shut."

  7. #7
    DRUNK! scouse mouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    B. Very good story that probably could've been an issue shorter to maintain the dramatic tension.

  8. #8
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    B. Very good story that probably could've been an issue shorter to maintain the dramatic tension.
    I give a grade of B+. B for the story itself, but an added plus for the way tbe epilogue set up Kindred and Chameleon..

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,735

    Default

    Gave it a C, as it was ok. So far this is my lowest rating in the Spencer run. It was enjoyable, but I felt it began to drag and I am glad to be moving forward.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), The Atom (Ray Palmer) , Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man (Scott Lang), & Iron Man.

    Current Pulls: Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Venom, Immortal Hulk, Shazam,Guardians of The Galaxy, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, & Spider-Man Life Story.

  10. #10

    Default

    I had very high expectations, and I thought it was very disappointing. I'll give it C. It could've been so much better!

  11. #11
    Moderator oldschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    A for me too. I think it's a solid event issue. The overall story is good and the standalones - the ".HU" are all great.

    We got some classic beats like Black Ant and Taskmaster as essentially "The Walrus and the Carpenter" of villains in that you aren't sure which of them is more awful and terrible than the other, and the bigger hypocrite. We got defining character moments for Felicia with Billy. And we got a Curt Connors and Lizard with actual poignant internal conflict and parental guilt, shame, and loathing that's truly dark stuff.
    Nice analysis; I totally agree----I think the ".HU" issues were quite possibly the best tie-ins for a Spider event that I can recall.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

  12. #12
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Just the artwork alone knocks the story a letter grade down for me. I actually did like Arcade and Black Cat in this story. Not sure why the need to put Spidey in his black suit, other than paying homage to KLH. It was ok, but the entire premise just didn't excite me.

  13. #13
    Mighty Member Minerboh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,696

    Default

    I haven't red the conclusion yet. That will happen in early July.

  14. #14
    Fantastic Member Spidey5640's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    B- (minus) a solid story, which seemed to drag towards the end, but nothing to write home about, IMO.

    Edit - I don't like the concept of Kraven's "clone son" basically replacing him as it feels like a cheap have your cake and eat it too move, but that's just me.
    No, it's me too. You said it all and I'm at a B- as well.

  15. #15
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    6,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Just the artwork alone knocks the story a letter grade down for me. I actually did like Arcade and Black Cat in this story. Not sure why the need to put Spidey in his black suit, other than paying homage to KLH. It was ok, but the entire premise just didn't excite me.
    I do like the explanation Kraven gives for the suit, which is that the red and blue is gaudy and as unfit for the Spider totem as Peter's behavior, while the black is just more threatening overall.
    Omega Level Rodent Fighter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •