Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Bleeding Cool implies Marvel will be cutting back on titles and mini-series that aren't major or core titles.
    Oh okay. The way you responded to the question charliehustle415’s question made it seem the opposite!

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yup, the book was hardly anything great and should’ve been used to prop up Wakanda’s many superhumans and spies. The best they could do for a Wakandan SHIELD was a bunch of D-listers so I’m not too torn up about it and the Empyre tie-in being cancelled. Especially with all the “A king will fall” garbage from the trailer, which I have no interest in seeing for Black Panther.
    It was a decent line up of characters but they should've just been the Secret Avengers. Agents of Wakanda sounds a lot cooler than what we got.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    We have to remember though that the team was created in Aaron's Avenger book prior to the spin off. And honestly I think Aaron just used a bunch of characters he happened to like.
    I still don't buy that excuse. They could and did add new characters to the team... they chose to make it a Secret Avengers clone. For all his faults (and there are a few) I don't blame Aaron for this.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    It doesn't take away from the fact that it was a lame grouping that robbed a great opportunity. If the book was going to struggle with reception anyway then I say go ham with it! Commit to show a cutting edge, advanced spy agency to make our mouths water!!!! Naw, we got apes, aliens and Africans??? No this was lack of meaningful execution I just don't see Groo as a good stand in for true Wakandians. This could have been a hella good 10 issues before downing out.
    Or, if you HAVE to use the lineup, have them actually DO spy stuff! None of the plots we saw required an espionage team.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Or, if you HAVE to use the lineup, have them actually DO spy stuff! None of the plots we saw required an espionage team.
    It's a team consisting of a bear, a gorilla, an alien, an nazi, and a sumo wrestler. Wasp aside, this was a horrible team to do any sort of spy stuff with. This was basically a rebranded Secret Avengers team.

It's a team consisting of a bear, a gorilla, an alien, an nazi, and a sumo wrestler. Wasp aside, this was a horrible team to do any sort of spy stuff with. This was basically a rebranded Secret Avengers team.
    Which is fine. But don't solicit it as a spy book!

"BLACK PANTHER AND THE AGENTS OF WAKANDA is Kirby-fueled Mission: Impossible in the Marvel Universe. "

That's right out of Zub's mouth: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-wakanda-unite

Another line:

"Under Okoye’s supervision, this cadre is tasked with dangerous quick response missions on Earth or even in other realities, gathering information about and defending the planet from threats both known and unknown."

Does that sound at ALL like what we got?

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I thought low BP sales numbers were all due to Coates' writing?????
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I thought low BP sales numbers were all due to Coates' writing?????
    I don't see Caotes name on this book.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I don't see Caotes name on this book.
    I barely saw T'Challa in the book.

Which is fine. But don't solicit it as a spy book!

"BLACK PANTHER AND THE AGENTS OF WAKANDA is Kirby-fueled Mission: Impossible in the Marvel Universe. "

That's right out of Zub's mouth: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-wakanda-unite

Another line:

"Under Okoye’s supervision, this cadre is tasked with dangerous quick response missions on Earth or even in other realities, gathering information about and defending the planet from threats both known and unknown."

Does that sound at ALL like what we got?
    I'd say them gathering information about and defending the planet from threats both known and unknown is a descent enough description. It's basically the Secret Avengers.

I'd say them gathering information about and defending the planet from threats both known and unknown is a descent enough description. It's basically the Secret Avengers.
    W. a quirky team of B and C listers!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I barely saw T'Challa in the book.
    I saw him often enough.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    W. a quirky team of B and C listers!
    Yeah, it had almost more of an Agents of Atlas vibe to it.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    It doesn't take away from the fact that it was a lame grouping that robbed a great opportunity. If the book was going to struggle with reception anyway then I say go ham with it! Commit to show a cutting edge, advanced spy agency to make our mouths water!!!! Naw, we got apes, aliens and Africans??? No this was lack of meaningful execution I just don't see Groo as a good stand in for true Wakandians. This could have been a hella good 10 issues before downing out.
    This is my thinking as well.

We just had the Black Panther movie showing Wakandan cells all over the world keeping an eye on the current geopolitics so they're never not in the know - then in this book we "Agents of Wakanda" going around doing what exactly?

It felt more like a joke book than a serious spy thriller, I wish it was more like Hickman's Secret Warriors and maybe even connect to that series.

They could have had a secret Wakandan Leviathan secretly working against European colonists and keeping Da Vinci in check (because let's admit it Secret Warriors is Eurocentric as all hell).

The potential for a series like this is infinite but they dropped the ball so hard.

This was never a Wakanda book even though Black Panther was basically the main character who founded the team, it was basically an Avengers spinoff of characters Aaron set up for the most part.

In that respect it was probably as good as it could've been.