Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I love the concept since the end of The Shield we need a superspy team. But, in-universe, how the Agents and the Avengers are not considered traitors by the USA and their european allies ? From the point of view of a Marvel universe citizen, we are talking about a foreign country who lack stability (how many civil wars and invasions since the first appearance of the Black Panther ?), who don't share their technologies, who lived in total isolation during at least 1 million years letting their African neighbors being colonized and enslaved, and with a tribal and monarchic government. And they are hiring assets from a former international super-spy agency without an international supervision !

From a good writer the geo-political repercussions can be very interesting, It's what I liked in the Christopher Priest comics: he didn't forget that Black Panther was a king of a non-aligned country, and I really think that Agents of Shield can be a place to see a more political and complex side of the Marvel Universe.

Edit: didn't see that there already is a thread about them, sorry.
    I don't know about European countries, but the definition of treason in the US is very narrow. "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.". So unless things escalate into an open US-Wakanda war, working for Wakanda can not be considered treason, and even then you would have to prove it in Court.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    I don't know about European countries, but the definition of treason in the US is very narrow. "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.". So unless things escalate into an open US-Wakanda war, working for Wakanda can not be considered treason, and even then you would have to prove it in Court.
    Yeah, I think MAYBE you can consider them threats to national security if you really wanna stretch things, but it's certainly not treason.

That said, I can buy the notion that SOME people in government find it scary.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I think MAYBE you can consider them threats to national security if you really wanna stretch things, but it's certainly not treason.

Yes, they can be considered treats to national security: they have ex-Shield agents in their ranks and they can be prosecuted for espionnage, for selling secrets. In the Marvel Universe, Wakanda is not an allied country, it's at best considered neutral but dangerous, like China or Russia. USA would do everything they can to stop an emerging powerful country to create her own superspy agency, especially if it's an African country.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

They already found it scary when T'Challa became chairperson of the Avengers. It was the whole reason the Squadron Supreme of America came into existence; the U.S. government wanted a superhuman fighting force it felt was loyal to America first.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I love the concept since the end of The Shield we need a superspy team. But, in-universe, how the Agents and the Avengers are not considered traitors by the USA and their european allies ? From the point of view of a Marvel universe citizen, we are talking about a foreign country who lack stability (how many civil wars and invasions since the first appearance of the Black Panther ?), who don't share their technologies, who lived in total isolation during at least 1 million years letting their African neighbors being colonized and enslaved, and with a tribal and monarchic government. And they are hiring assets from a former international super-spy agency without an international supervision !

From a good writer the geo-political repercussions can be very interesting, It's what I liked in the Christopher Priest comics: he didn't forget that Black Panther was a king of a non-aligned country, and I really think that Agents of Shield can be a place to see a more political and complex side of the Marvel Universe.
    Wakanda had been pretty stable for the majority of it's print. It really hasn't had many civil wars. And Wakanda kept everyone out because everyone tried to invade Wakanda and it repelled them every time. Plus compared to how much the US in invaded and taken over/ destroyed as a mu citizen I would say Wakanda is just as good. And Wakanda does share some stuff just not everything because their technology can have devastating effects of used incorrectly. But it's a bit of a stretch to say that America is trying to stop them from emerging ad a power. Because they have nothing to offer Wakanda or any leverage. If they tried to stop them with force or went to war against Wakanda they would lose
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 06-21-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Most of those characters are "agents of Wakanda" only in name, in order to surf on the Black Panther popularity.
    They have been recruited as a support team for the Avengers, not to serve Wakanda's interests.
    What they really are is Secret Avengers, but if they named the series like that, people would have complained that there are too many Avengers titles or that the team should feature Captain America, War Machine and Hawkeye.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Most of those characters are "agents of Wakanda" only in name, in order to surf on the Black Panther popularity.
    They have been recruited as a support team for the Avengers, not to serve Wakanda's interests.
    What they really are is Secret Avengers, but if they named the series like that, people would have complained that there are too many Avengers titles or that the team should feature Captain America, War Machine and Hawkeye.
    And how is this different when it's done to Batman?

If it was an Avenger title it would be lost in the large collection of Avenger related books that pack shelves.

Take Batman-you would need an entire WALL to list all his books with his name on it alone. Including books where he is NOT the star like Batman & Signal & Outsiders.

With Black Panther-you don't have that issue (yet). It's just his books, minis, The Crew, Wakanda Forever, World of Wakanda and this. It makes it easier for it to stand out and get extra money when Black Panther 2 comes out. As everything Black Panther got a sales book as trades when his first film came out.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Because the leader of the Avengers happens to be the King of Wakanda, technically you can argue they literally are Agents of Wakanda even if they are serving global interests rather than Wakanda specifically.

But yeah... Secret Avengers probably is a more accurate name.

Depending on what Zub does, this team can start becoming a group that works for Wakandas interests as it will become it's own thing rather than just supporting cast for the Avengers book. Atleast that's the hope, and again I hope more Wakandans join it

Soooooo red or yellow, what is going on with Jan's costume

Looks like the enemies might be something related to Black Heart. They kinda look like him and the ending quote sounds like he's trying to get into Janet's head about her and Tony(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Soooooo red or yellow, what is going on with Jan's costume
    Kind of fairly noticeable if it's an artist mistake.

Colorist mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Looks like the enemies might be something related to Black Heart. They kinda look like him and the ending quote sounds like he's trying to get into Janet's head about her and Tony(?)
    Him again? He's currently menacing the Champions, and this book's by the same writer. So I hope you're wrong.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Nice...!
    I’m not a BP fan, but this book is virtually MADE of some of my favorite characters, so i’ve been waiting excitedly.