Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Batman in YJ was the team's mission handler and the team reported back to him. His presence was there, but he wasn't part of the main cast at all. He was a supporting character. Very shadowy, mysterious, imposing, intimidating and badass when he did show up to take someone out. But on the weekly episodes he never went on a mission himself. He would give the team their mission (which was always covert), and go and handle JL business.
    I'm also okay with that. I wouldn't mind seeing him do some grandmaster chess player end game isht and take out the true threat in the shadows while the team is handling the main threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I'm also okay with that. I wouldn't mind seeing him do some grandmaster chess player end game isht and take out the true threat in the shadows while the team is handling the main threats.
    If you like that, you should read Priests' Deathstorke when he forms his own super hero for hire team. Deathstoke is miles ahead in planning. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    If you like that, you should read Priests' Deathstorke when he forms his own super hero for hire team. Deathstoke is miles ahead in planning. lol
    Okay, they need to bring back the Justa Lotta Animals if only for THAT.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Why do I have a feeling this won't last long as an ongoing?
    If its connected to Aarons Avengers run, it might last as long as that lasts. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    To be fair, with the exception of Black Panther, none of the cast have their own books. Unless you count the team being featured in Avengers, which is doing pretty well numbers-wise.
    That's very true, but the cast here doesn't seem like it'd have much of a mass pull outside of Janet. Not to mention Black Panther's book isn't selling in spades which I blame on Coates. He's not a good writer, in my opinion, and his stories all move at a glacial pace.

I'd give it a year.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Marvel is releasing a lot of covert teams these days: Savage Avengers, Strikeforce and now Agents of Wakanda.
    Anyway I've wanted to see Ka-zar in a regular book for a long time and I like BP, so I'll give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Well of course it's Priest lol. I don't read DC stuff but I have been tempted to get into Prieststroke. Do you need to have a deep understanding of DS mythos or is it somewhat new reader friendly?

Well of course it's Priest lol. I don't read DC stuff but I have been tempted to get into Prieststroke. Do you need to have a deep understanding of DS mythos or is it somewhat new reader friendly?
    There's stuff that will make more sense if you've read past stuff with Slade in it, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker.

If you Wikipedia his children and Wintergreen before reading, you should be good. They go into backgrounds of the characters in the first vol., but it helps to already know who they are. It was hard to follow for the first two volumes because he does the past and present without any "Ross" narration, but by Vol.3 it smooths out into a more traditional format.

BANNED

I'll admit, I wasn't really on board when Jason Aaron formed the team, just because it seemed too eclectic to function seamlessly, and there are/were too few characters among the Agents of Wakanda that I care for. And for one of them, that being Janet van Dyne, I couldn't see how/why she was demoted to playing second-fiddle to the Avengers, when she should really be on the core team herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Imagine if Jason Aaron actually put more than two Wakandans on this team. Though I will be reading for Zub because I love him.
    I mean, given it's the Agents of Wakanda, rather than being dubbed, for example, Secret Avengers, it certainly would have made sense for it to be about Wakanda, and thus feature characters originating from there (Shuri, Gentle or Atlas Bear). I mean, even when it comes to allies of T'Challa & Wakanda, I would have expected to have seen Manifold, Thunderball, White Tiger, Blue Marvel etc. But alas, we're stuck with obscure rather one-note characters (in my opinion)

I'll add that Falcon, Misty Knight, Winter Soldier, Colleen Wing, Mockingbird, Quake & Inferno all would have fit the covert backup Avengers mold too, and are certainly more recognisable figures.

For the sake of three characters I care about (T'Challa, Okoye & Janet van Dyne) and Zub on writing duties, I'll pick this up for at least the first arc. But when it comes to launching team books, and featuring characters I genuinely care about, I'm much more inclined to pick up Strike-force for the moment.

White Tiger, Misty, and Mockingbird are all in the Daughters of Liberty team in the Captain America book (though, so are Spider-Woman and Invisible Woman, who are also on Strikeforce and the Fantastic Four respectively) and Thunderball was shown back in jail there. Winter Soldier is on Strikeforce. Blue Marvel has an Avengers team that doesn't have a book, as established in No Road Home. Quake and Inferno don't like working together, as shown in Marvel Rising.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    White Tiger, Misty, and Mockingbird are all in the Daughters of Liberty team in the Captain America book (though, so are Spider-Woman and Invisible Woman, who are also on Strikeforce and the Fantastic Four respectively) and Thunderball was shown back in jail there. Winter Soldier is on Strikeforce. Blue Marvel has an Avengers team that doesn't have a book, as established in No Road Home. Quake and Inferno don't like working together, as shown in Marvel Rising.
    I appreciate that you always seem dedicated to dropping little tidbits of information, but I'll have you know I am familiar with all of this, and I don't think the information you've shared necessarily rules them out, or discredits my reasoning as to why I think they'd be good for the book.

Neither the Daughters of Liberty or Avengers World teams have a book to call their own, and even if they did, it wouldn't necessarily prevent them from being Agents of Wakanda.
    When it comes to Ava Ayala, Misty Knight & Bobbi Morse, minimal stories in Captain America as supporting characters is hardly the same as a story to call their own. All three, I think, would make for brilliant agents given their backgrounds.

Thunderball could be released from jail, particularly if he were to commit himself to redeeming his actions as a common criminal. He's certainly proven his capabilities, and if T'Challa were to vouch for him he might stand a chance.

Winter Soldier I think, at least from the series' description, doesn't quite fit the theme of Strikeforce (though I'd make the same case for Jessica Drew, Monica Rambeau & possibly Billy Kaplan), which seems to be more of a dark covert supernatural title. Other characters, such as Elsa Bloodstone or Man-Thing, may have fit better. I may be misjudging the direction of the book and/or how well they fit into the narrative, but my preconceived notions about what the respective books are to be make me have my doubts about the chosen rosters.

As for Quake and Inferno, when has two characters liking each other had anything to do with them appearing in a story together? Hell, even constrained to Marvel, there are plenty of characters who dislike each other who still coexist on a team or work together when it serves a greater good. Tony Stark + Carol Danvers, Emma Frost + Jean Grey, Scott Summers & Logan etc. In fact, rivalries or strained relationships often make their interactions more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Why do I have a feeling this won't last long as an ongoing?
    Because other than Black Panther and Wasp. They have bunch of low impact characters that can't sell a book and instead of adjusting that some point they will just cancel the book. While they will give Punisher or Dr Strange a million chances to be successful to with restarts,reworks and big name creative teams. I think we discussed this in black panther thread when the concept was first introduced with a name like Agents of Wakanda you are expecting Shuri, Nakia, White Wolf maybe even M"Baku. Now no guarantee that book sells better in floppies but it sure as hell would will kill in trades around the time BP2 comes along.

I wish the book success I am pretty hyped about it actually but imo opinion this should be closer to current Agents of Atlas but with African and Black characters but it has roster that looks like could be the old agents of Atlas.

Under Okoye’s supervision? I can see every member of this team being the leader except her. Also, who is this book for?

People want to see The Wasp....as an Avenger. Also what is with the
    "Janet is a founding Avenger and a capable leader in her own right." In her...own right? Translation: Yes we know she should be the leader, just play along. See, this is the kind of role that the Nadia Wasp would easily fit into instead of being handed books.

People want to see KA-ZAR.... protect the Savage Land with his Sabretooth Tiger

People want to see Gorilla Man.... as an Agent Of Atlas...the REAL ones

This book's title may as well be "All the characters you want in the worst possible way"
    Last edited by Anthony W; 06-19-2019 at 04:36 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest