Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Amazing Member jignat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Default Questions about CC/Nicieza Uncanny/Vol.2 plots

    Lapsed x-men fan here.

    I know these are old things, but I mostly grew up with the vol 2 book in the 1990s then read CC Uncanny X-men run in college in the early 2000's.
    I didnt know about dedicated x-men sites at the time, but since there are so many well-informed folks here I thought Id give it a shot


    1) In Uncanny 207-209 or so, Rachel goes to murder Selene , but Wolvy stabs her in the abdomen. She is trying to hold herself together but is spirited away by Spiral. Did Rachel and Logan ever talk about or come to terms with that anytime after?

    2) Did CC or Nicieza ever reveal how Fabian Cortez knew Woly from ? (Wolvy claims he looks awfully familiar in Vol.2 issue 1) Also, Did CC name the character after Nicieza because he had beef with him? (Nicieza wrote half of UXM 279 IIRC)

    3) In the Paul smith run around Rogues joining, Mystique has a dream about being chased by Jason Wyngarde and Jean in a past setting.
    What was this about?

    4)In the second brood story during the Australian era, the Xmen seemingly defeat the earth Brood led by Palmer. However, it seems that the preachers wife was healed by the female paramedic who had a devious grin, implying she implanted her with a brood embryo. Was this ever followed upon?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jignat View Post
    Lapsed x-men fan here.

    I know these are old things, but I mostly grew up with the vol 2 book in the 1990s then read CC Uncanny X-men run in college in the early 2000's.
    I didnt know about dedicated x-men sites at the time, but since there are so many well-informed folks here I thought Id give it a shot


    1) In Uncanny 207-209 or so, Rachel goes to murder Selene , but Wolvy stabs her in the abdomen. She is trying to hold herself together but is spirited away by Spiral. Did Rachel and Logan ever talk about or come to terms with that anytime after?
    I believe the next time they interacted was in a back-up story in the 1990 Uncanny Annual. It was kind of an interlude for the Days of Future Present crossover. They may have discussed it there.

    2) Did CC or Nicieza ever reveal how Fabian Cortez knew Woly from ? (Wolvy claims he looks awfully familiar in Vol.2 issue 1)
    No. Never followed up on.

    Also, Did CC name the character after Nicieza because he had beef with him? (Nicieza wrote half of UXM 279 IIRC)
    Unknown, but I doubt it. Claremont quit halfway through. Nicieza is just who Harras handed the job off to.

    3) In the Paul smith run around Rogues joining, Mystique has a dream about being chased by Jason Wyngarde and Jean in a past setting.
    What was this about?
    Mastermind screwing with Mystique's mind. Never followed up on.

    4)In the second brood story during the Australian era, the Xmen seemingly defeat the earth Brood led by Palmer. However, it seems that the preachers wife was healed by the female paramedic who had a devious grin, implying she implanted her with a brood embryo. Was this ever followed upon?
    Yes, in a 2-part mini-series in the mid-90s titled X-Men vs. Brood: Day of Wrath. The preacher's wife was implanted with a Brood embryo--a queen, in fact. The paramedic is killed, IIRC, and the X-Men defeat the Brood. The preacher's wife is placed in suspended animation to keep her from fully mutating into a queen. I don't think it's been followed up on since then, though.
    Last edited by FUBAR007; 06-17-2019 at 07:22 PM.

  3. #3
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Interdimensional
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jignat View Post
    1) In Uncanny 207-209 or so, Rachel goes to murder Selene , but Wolvy stabs her in the abdomen. She is trying to hold herself together but is spirited away by Spiral. Did Rachel and Logan ever talk about or come to terms with that anytime after?
    This is probably the most WTF X-moment to me ever. I never came to understand Wolvie's logic.

    Nevertheless, the following issues with Rachel in a maid dress crawling and holding her guts, X-Men vs. Hellfire and Spiral's Body Shoppe were awesome.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member ExodusCloak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,903

    Default

    In necrosha wolverine regrets saying that to rachel

  5. #5
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Interdimensional
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    I didn't read that. It's OK Logan at least remember such a butchery.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    This is probably the most WTF X-moment to me ever. I never came to understand Wolvie's logic.

    Nevertheless, the following issues with Rachel in a maid dress crawling and holding her guts, X-Men vs. Hellfire and Spiral's Body Shoppe were awesome.
    https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-586/

    For years, that moment has puzzled fans. "Killing is wrong, so I must kill you!" Even if you sort of kind of get where Wolverine's coming from, it's still a bit odd.

    Well, reader Lance M. wrote in after reading the aforementioned CBR article and he asked if I knew that Chris Claremont years later gave Wolverine's "real" motivation for stabbing Rachel. I did not know that.

    Anyhow, as it turns out, Claremont confirmed in a 1991 Comics Interview interview that Wolverine was afraid that killing Selene would trigger Rachel turning into Dark Phoenix, and thus he felt that he had to kill her to avoid the much worse fate of Rachel becoming Dark Phoenix. That honestly makes a lot of sense. It's not in the actual comic, but it DOES make a lot of sense.

    Good to know! And now the rest of you know! Thanks for the suggestion, Lance!

    EDITED TO ADD: Commenter Michael noted that Claremont had actually first given the "Dark Phoenix" explanation a year earlier in the 1990 Uncanny X-Men Annual, where Wolverine encountered Rachel for the first time since the stabbing (she was there with Franklin Richards from the future)...

  7. #7
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Interdimensional
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    Thanks a lot for the info, myownlittleusername!

  8. #8
    spit and hades! Andru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jignat View Post
    Lapsed x-men fan here.

    3) In the Paul smith run around Rogues joining, Mystique has a dream about being chased by Jason Wyngarde and Jean in a past setting.
    What was this about?
    This one confused me as well. At the time, Mastermind was exacting revenge on the X-Men after Phoenix put him into a coma. He broke up Logan & Mariko & planted the seeds to convince Scott that Maddie was Phoenix.

    However, his whole interaction with Mystique seemed extremely random. At this point, the two characters had never interacted. And I believe it was explained that Mastermind gave Rogue the extra kick she needed to leave Mystique and seek out Professor Xavier for help controlling her powers.

    So why Mastermind needed revenge on someone he didn't know?

    Maybe I missed something in another title?

  9. #9
    Amazing Member jignat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Thank you for the replies everyone.

    If you don't mind, I have some others.


    1) In x-men vol.2 no.27, Threnody flares up in a confrontation between Sinister and Beast/Iceman/Rogue. This implies one of them has the Legacy Virus infection, and when Rogue asks Sinister, he replies "That is a mystery I am not willing to discuss with you"
    Did Nicieza intend for one of them to have it and was nixed by editorial?

    2) In Uncanny towards the end of CC first run, Shadow King enthralls Dr Lian Shen. Did she survive unscathed after the Muir Island saga?
    If yes, was she ever heard of again?

    3) In X-men Vol.2 46-47, Dazzler is shown in a position ofpower and after corraling the X-babies, Jean notes"I could sense no life"
    Did Dazzler miscarry or was there some convoluted fate of the baby?
    And was it the actual Shatterstar character from X-force vol.1?

    4) Did Legion have sex with Gabby Haller while appearing as Xavier in the Legionquest story (part 3)/ Uncanny X-men 321?
    As a kid, I assumed he just kissed her then attacked her because he was insane. Some folks seem to think they had relations.

  10. #10
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Interdimensional
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    I will answer the only one I'm sure of.

    Quote Originally Posted by jignat View Post
    3) In X-men Vol.2 46-47, Dazzler is shown in a position ofpower and after corraling the X-babies, Jean notes"I could sense no life"
    Did Dazzler miscarry or was there some convoluted fate of the baby?
    And was it the actual Shatterstar character from X-force vol.1?
    Yes, it's that Shatterstar, the only Shatterstar there is. Conceived by Dazzler through Longshot (in my headcanon, though, it makes no sense that bioengineered slaves from Mojoworld are fertile).

    Although for a while it was not clear if Dazzler miscarried, everything was explained in X-Factor #259: Shatterstar, having traveled to the past, helped to give birth to himself, then wiped his mother's mind so that she didn't recall even that she was once pregnant. All in order to preserve the time continuum, I guess...

    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 06-19-2019 at 05:56 AM.

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    This one confused me as well. At the time, Mastermind was exacting revenge on the X-Men after Phoenix put him into a coma. He broke up Logan & Mariko & planted the seeds to convince Scott that Maddie was Phoenix.

    However, his whole interaction with Mystique seemed extremely random. At this point, the two characters had never interacted. And I believe it was explained that Mastermind gave Rogue the extra kick she needed to leave Mystique and seek out Professor Xavier for help controlling her powers.

    So why Mastermind needed revenge on someone he didn't know?

    Maybe I missed something in another title?
    IIRC.....

    Before her book was canceled during the 1970's, Carol Danvers would have had some dealings with the Inner Circle (similar to what happened to Jean). Mystique had debuted in Carol's book as an enemy.

    Rogue & Destiny were meant to debut in Carol's book. I think Carol encountering Rogue would have been instigated by the Inner Circle. All Destiny could foresee was that something bad would happen to Rogue if she met Carol (which was the source of Mystique's grudge). Mystique probably did not know about the Inner Circle perhaps manipulating Carol.

    Perhaps this three-way conflict would enable Carol to escape whatever plans the Inner Circle had for her. Mastermind would have moved on to Jean (what a helluva plan b). Seeing how disastrous that turned out, I can see a mentally unhinged Mastermind blaming Mystique later on.

    Perhaps Carol was the link between Mastermind's hatred for Mystique.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jignat View Post
    Thank you for the replies everyone.

    If you don't mind, I have some others.


    1) In x-men vol.2 no.27, Threnody flares up in a confrontation between Sinister and Beast/Iceman/Rogue. This implies one of them has the Legacy Virus infection, and when Rogue asks Sinister, he replies "That is a mystery I am not willing to discuss with you"
    Did Nicieza intend for one of them to have it and was nixed by editorial?
    Unknown. Never followed up on.

    2) In Uncanny towards the end of CC first run, Shadow King enthralls Dr Lian Shen. Did she survive unscathed after the Muir Island saga?
    If yes, was she ever heard of again?
    Yes. She turned up, still a thrall of the Shadow King, in X-Treme X-Men Annual 2001.

    3) In X-men Vol.2 46-47, Dazzler is shown in a position ofpower and after corraling the X-babies, Jean notes"I could sense no life"
    Did Dazzler miscarry or was there some convoluted fate of the baby?
    And was it the actual Shatterstar character from X-force vol.1?
    Yes, Longshot and Dazzler are Shatterstar's parents. See Ricochet Rita's response for details.

    4) Did Legion have sex with Gabby Haller while appearing as Xavier in the Legionquest story (part 3)/ Uncanny X-men 321?
    As a kid, I assumed he just kissed her then attacked her because he was insane. Some folks seem to think they had relations.
    Never followed up on.

    The fan speculation is that Lobdell and Waid were teasing the idea that Legion is his own father. But, subsequent stories have gone in the opposite direction, stating pretty explicitly that Xavier is his father, and Legion has had multiple story arcs centered on their relationship.

  13. #13
    spit and hades! Andru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    IIRC.....

    Before her book was canceled during the 1970's, Carol Danvers would have had some dealings with the Inner Circle (similar to what happened to Jean). Mystique had debuted in Carol's book as an enemy.

    Rogue & Destiny were meant to debut in Carol's book. I think Carol encountering Rogue would have been instigated by the Inner Circle. All Destiny could foresee was that something bad would happen to Rogue if she met Carol (which was the source of Mystique's grudge). Mystique probably did not know about the Inner Circle perhaps manipulating Carol.

    Perhaps this three-way conflict would enable Carol to escape whatever plans the Inner Circle had for her. Mastermind would have moved on to Jean (what a helluva plan b). Seeing how disastrous that turned out, I can see a mentally unhinged Mastermind blaming Mystique later on.

    Perhaps Carol was the link between Mastermind's hatred for Mystique.
    Thank you for the insight! This certainly seems like the missing puzzle piece.

    You learn something new every day

  14. #14
    Amazing Member jignat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Sorry to bump but I had some more Questions

    1) Shadow King at the end of CC's first Uncanny run and Gambits debut had followers with spiky leather outfits called "Hounds" . In the Days of Future Present, Ahab uses his weaponry/tech to turn Cyclops and Sue Storm into hounds. IIRC Both stories came out around 1990. so did CC intend a link between Shadow King and DOFP timeline or is it just coincidence? Did SK in the present pattern his hounds after Ahab or vice versa?

    2) Why did Masque make Callisto into a model?
    Also is Masque a man or woman?

    3)Proteus mentioned that" an act of hatred and violence created me" (Uncanny 128). Did Joe rape Moira resulting in her pregnancy or beat her up and impregnate her in a previous time?

    4) Is Zaladane really Lorna's sister? If so, were the circumstances of it ever revealed?
    Did she ever retrn to plague the X-men after Magnus killed her in Uncanny 275?

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jignat View Post
    Sorry to bump but I had some more Questions

    1) Shadow King at the end of CC's first Uncanny run and Gambits debut had followers with spiky leather outfits called "Hounds" . In the Days of Future Present, Ahab uses his weaponry/tech to turn Cyclops and Sue Storm into hounds. IIRC Both stories came out around 1990. so did CC intend a link between Shadow King and DOFP timeline or is it just coincidence? Did SK in the present pattern his hounds after Ahab or vice versa?

    2) Why did Masque make Callisto into a model?
    Also is Masque a man or woman?

    3)Proteus mentioned that" an act of hatred and violence created me" (Uncanny 128). Did Joe rape Moira resulting in her pregnancy or beat her up and impregnate her in a previous time?

    4) Is Zaladane really Lorna's sister? If so, were the circumstances of it ever revealed?
    Did she ever retrn to plague the X-men after Magnus killed her in Uncanny 275?
    2)Just to eFF with her and control her psychologically
    He's a dude who was born ugly ....when his powers could affect his own body he turned himself in a pretty girl
    3)raped and beat her up

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •