Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Magnets!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i remember a scan from the original secret wars where magneto was able to survive a glancing attack from galen. i gotta find it again. but i could be misremembering it.
    It's not worth noting as much of anything. It's an instinctual response from the tiniest possible corner of Galactus' mind.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    It's not worth noting as much of anything. It's an instinctual response from the tiniest possible corner of Galactus' mind.
    still damn impressive, considering big G.

i remember a scan from the original secret wars where magneto was able to survive a glancing attack from galen. i gotta find it again. but i could be misremembering it.
    I've seen it. I more so mean, like what does glancing mean? It just tastes of "Thor survives blasts from Celestials" logic imo.

Galen can turn multiple solar systems into space dust even on the last dregs of his power. At full strength, he busts up galaxies and mucks with reality.

If memory serves, it was more of a reflexive action that Mags survived. Basically no way to tell how much power was involved unless we had narration or something.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I've seen it. I more so mean, like what does glancing mean? It just tastes of "Thor survives blasts from Celestials" logic imo.

Galen can turn multiple solar systems into space dust even on the last dregs of his power. At full strength, he busts up galaxies and mucks with reality.

If memory serves, it was more of a reflexive action that Mags survived. Basically no way to tell how much power was involved unless we had narration or something.
    even discounting that, movie mags just doesn't have enough feats to show he could breach comic mags' shields. and he's not winning a duel of magetic skill since comic mags utter craps on him.

even discounting that, movie mags just doesn't have enough feats to show he could breach comic mags' shields. and he's not winning a duel of magetic skill since comic mags utter craps on him.
    Yeah, 616 Mags has a waaay more advanced tool kit. No doubt.

I was more curious on how there was power output compared. =)
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Yeah, 616 Mags has a waaay more advanced tool kit. No doubt.

I was more curious on how there was power output compared. =)
    One can use magnetism to manipulate wood. The other one is Michael Fassbender.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

With that said, those terrible movies would be 100% improved if while using his powers Michael Fassbender shouted "MAGNETS!" over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    With that said, those terrible movies would be 100% improved if while using his powers Michael Fassbender shouted "MAGNETS!" over and over.
    "MAGNETS, Charles. The next step of human evolution !"
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    And Ian McKellen. Let's not forget that.

Which only means that 616 tells movie Magneto that he loved him in the LOTR trilogy before tearing him to pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    another fault i found with the movies: just limiting magneto's powers to just "i control metal".

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

What level DOES movie Magneto's power top out at? Because I clearly recall Magneto getting honked off at the PRC and starting up a volcano in one of their major cities. He deliberately did it slowly enough such that they would have time to evacuate, as well.

This was from another area of the planet, to boot.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

another fault i found with the movies: just limiting magneto's powers to just "i control metal".
    I was actually always ok with that.

Because the nonsense powers that writers could bestow upon Magneto could get just a wee bit amazingly ridiculous.

So I was fine with making him uber-strong but still sorta limited.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    What level DOES movie Magneto's power top out at? Because I clearly recall Magneto getting honked off at the PRC and starting up a volcano in one of their major cities. He deliberately did it slowly enough such that they would have time to evacuate, as well.

This was from another area of the planet, to boot.
    Movie Mags has the following big feats, without any amps, IIRC:

Lifting a full sports stadium into the air, carrying it across DC, then dropping it around the White House to give him a cordoned off area to kill Trask.

Lifting the Golden Gate Bridge, flying it across San Francisco Bay and dropping it as a bridge from the City to Alcatraz.

Lifting train cars and such.

Getting into a tug of war with Phoenix using a helicopter as the rope, and holding his own.

When he was at full Apocalypse-boost, he was affecting things all around the planet. In terms of pure power, it's not all that far off from 616, really, he just doesn't have anything approaching the esoteric silliness.

616 Mags has done:

EMP the planet with a thought.

Permanently change the Earth's magnetic field so as to render long range telepathy more difficult/impossible. This specifically was done to ensure that Chaz couldn't track him and his minions.

Create a volcano from the other side of the world.

Casually undo decent-scale reality warping (MAGNETS!).

Block a continent-wide dimensional warp being created by hordes of high-end mutant energy manipulators.

Create singularities.

No-sell Mjolnir with a forcefield.

Control minds. (MAGNETSMAGNETSMAGNETSMAGNETS)

616 would stomp Movie Mags, even with the Poccy boost, mainly because he's just so much better and more versatile, but movie Erik is generally appreciated as the most dangerous mutant out there (non Phoenix division) for a good reason.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

That's what I figured. I recall Movie Mags being able to affect things on the other side of the planet; I just don't recall him doing stuff on the scale of 'Drag volcano out of the earth on the other side the planet while simultaneously carrying on a conversation with world leaders'. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate