Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 53 of 53
  1. #46
    Incredible Member charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Ah, right. I wanted to check, just so I can safely avoid spoilers.

    I don't remember much noise being made about those first 10 issues of Abe Sapien. I mean, The Drowning, sort of came out of nowhere—it was part of that sudden expansion of the Hellboy Universe that happened following the release of Hellboy: The Companion (the others being Lobster Johnson: The Iron Prometheus, Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels, and B.P.R.D.: 1946)—and the short stories The Haunted Boy, The Abyssal Plain, and The Devil Does Not Jest didn't really have the momentum behind them that suggested further stories like 1946 did.

    However, when Abe Sapien shifted to an ongoing series with the beginning of the Dark and Terrible cycle, I think fans were starving for more Abe. In the two years leading up to the series, we hadn't seen much of him and Dark and Terrible came with the promise of exploring what Abe is. There was even a "31 Days of Abe" promotional month leading up to the series (which ballooned into 34 days by the end).
    Oh, very cool. I never realized how much the Mignolaverse expanded from it's initial start. The way it has been going one could think that Mignola had a plan from the start.

    The advent calendar is pretty funny, I am looking forward to learning more about Abe, because in the Drowning & Other Stories there was one shot where Abe looked very different (the recap page says this took place in Hell on Earth). That weird jellyfish squid thingy has really peaked my interest.

    Thanks again for all the info!

  2. #47
    Incredible Member charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Okay so I am now on volume 2 of Hell on Earth. Will I ever learn the truth about those aliens from the very beginning?

    I know there is a mini-series that looks at that one particular alien assassin, but do we ever learn if these aliens have their own gods? Or if they were also created by the god that created Earth? Why do they have a interest in Earth?

    Also forgive me for being dense, I may have missed this detail, what is the connection between Hell and Ogdru Jahad? Where does Satan fall into this equation?

  3. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Okay so I am now on volume 2 of Hell on Earth. Will I ever learn the truth about those aliens from the very beginning?

    I know there is a mini-series that looks at that one particular alien assassin, but do we ever learn if these aliens have their own gods? Or if they were also created by the god that created Earth? Why do they have a interest in Earth?
    You'll learn a lot more about them in The Visitor: How & Why He Stayed, but don't expect all your questions to be answered. They leave a lot to your imagination.

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Also forgive me for being dense, I may have missed this detail, what is the connection between Hell and Ogdru Jahad? Where does Satan fall into this equation?
    They go into this a little in Hellboy in Hell #10. If you're not up to that yet, you may consider this spoilers.

    spoilers:
    Many of the original Watchers that killed Anum for creating the Ogdru Jahad were cast down into Hell. They were its original occupants, led by Pluto. The Watchers remaining on Earth were led by Satan, but they were cast into Hell when they refused to bow to the new race of Man. Satan's gang and Pluto's gang went to war and Satan's won. Pandemonium, the capital of Hell, is built on the broken shoulders of Pluto's gang.
    end of spoilers

  4. #49
    Incredible Member charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    You'll learn a lot more about them in The Visitor: How & Why He Stayed, but don't expect all your questions to be answered. They leave a lot to your imagination.


    They go into this a little in Hellboy in Hell #10. If you're not up to that yet, you may consider this spoilers.

    spoilers:
    Many of the original Watchers that killed Anum for creating the Ogdru Jahad were cast down into Hell. They were its original occupants, led by Pluto. The Watchers remaining on Earth were led by Satan, but they were cast into Hell when they refused to bow to the new race of Man. Satan's gang and Pluto's gang went to war and Satan's won. Pandemonium, the capital of Hell, is built on the broken shoulders of Pluto's gang.
    end of spoilers
    Ahhh, I totally missed that in Hellboy in Hell. So is Satan also a fallen Watcher?

  5. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Ahhh, I totally missed that in Hellboy in Hell. So is Satan also a fallen Watcher?
    Yep, Satan had once been a Watcher.

  6. #51
    Incredible Member charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Yep, Satan had once been a Watcher.
    Thanks! That clears so much up. I know I am going to have to reread the entire saga again.

  7. #52
    Incredible Member charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Finally finished Hell on Earth!

    What a Finale! The First Angels holding up Pandemonium!

    Kraus learning about Hindu Cosmology!

    Cannot believe how good it was, I was so surprised with the deep Hindu philosophy going on with Sledgehammer, makes me wanna read the mini. I mean the singular self melding with the infinite universe, great stuff.

    The return of Vavara was amazing, the deaths were heartbreaking and the tension just built and built and built.

    Now I'm going to move on to the Abe Sapian solo before moving on to the finale.


    So is the Ogrdu Jahad, only Six in One and not Seven since this one was killed? And they can split off from one another?

  8. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    So is the Ogrdu Jahad, only Six in One and not Seven since this one was killed? And they can split off from one another?
    You'll learn more about that in The Devil You Know.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •