Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
Ah, right. I wanted to check, just so I can safely avoid spoilers.

I don't remember much noise being made about those first 10 issues of Abe Sapien. I mean, The Drowning, sort of came out of nowhere—it was part of that sudden expansion of the Hellboy Universe that happened following the release of Hellboy: The Companion (the others being Lobster Johnson: The Iron Prometheus, Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels, and B.P.R.D.: 1946)—and the short stories The Haunted Boy, The Abyssal Plain, and The Devil Does Not Jest didn't really have the momentum behind them that suggested further stories like 1946 did.

However, when Abe Sapien shifted to an ongoing series with the beginning of the Dark and Terrible cycle, I think fans were starving for more Abe. In the two years leading up to the series, we hadn't seen much of him and Dark and Terrible came with the promise of exploring what Abe is. There was even a "31 Days of Abe" promotional month leading up to the series (which ballooned into 34 days by the end).
Oh, very cool. I never realized how much the Mignolaverse expanded from it's initial start. The way it has been going one could think that Mignola had a plan from the start.

The advent calendar is pretty funny, I am looking forward to learning more about Abe, because in the Drowning & Other Stories there was one shot where Abe looked very different (the recap page says this took place in Hell on Earth). That weird jellyfish squid thingy has really peaked my interest.

Thanks again for all the info!