Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The answers are mostly spoilery, so you’ll get them in time. As for the under the sea stuff, I believe in the Island it says he just drifted around under water for two years before washing up on shore. So there haven’t really been any stories digging into that. There is Into the Silent Sea which I believe is about what happens when he leaves the island, though if you read the Omnibuses, you’ll have read that

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    It's been too long since I read the Hellboy-lost-at-sea stuff, I don't remember that well enough to say. The elf prince is completely a movie creation, but the themes of the magical parts of the world dying and shrinking away show up in the stories with fairies, as far back as The Corpse.

Hellboy reconnecting with the rest of the crew is pretty spoilery, I'll put it in spoiler tags if you want to know:
    spoilers:
    He doesn't do that until BPRD: The Devil You Know.
    end of spoilers
    Wow, that late in the run!? How did y'all do it? It must have been a decade or so before he left the BPRD.

That's so cool, I'm happy that Hellboy fans aren't like the big TWO fans where "fans" try to bully creators to bring back beloved characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    The answers are mostly spoilery, so you’ll get them in time. As for the under the sea stuff, I believe in the Island it says he just drifted around under water for two years before washing up on shore. So there haven’t really been any stories digging into that. There is Into the Silent Sea which I believe is about what happens when he leaves the island, though if you read the Omnibuses, you’ll have read that
    I have a bad habit of reading endings first, then reading beginnings

So I just started Abe Sapien: The Drowning and it's mentioned that Hellboy is off with Anastasia Bransfield from 1979 to 1981 is there a short story out there that can fill this in?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    So I just started Abe Sapien: The Drowning and it's mentioned that Hellboy is off with Anastasia Bransfield from 1979 to 1981 is there a short story out there that can fill this in?
    Read this Hell Notes article, there's a section in there about her.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/an...f-a-love-life/

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    Read this Hell Notes article, there's a section in there about her.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/an...f-a-love-life/
    Excellent! Thank you!

If you want further reading, her history is covered in the prose stories Hellboy: The Lost Army and Hellboy: The Dragon Pool.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    If you want further reading, her history is covered in the prose stories Hellboy: The Lost Army and Hellboy: The Dragon Pool.
    These are novels correct? Are the novels cannon?

The Christopher Golden ones are considered canon

The novels by Christopher Golden (The Lost Army, The Bones of Giants, and The Dragon Pool) are canon, but only in a loose sense. So the events of the novel are canon, but the small details, like say the history of Hellboy's hairstyle, are not.

There's also a few short stories that are canon:
    • "The Nuckelavee" (in Hellboy: Odd Jobs)
    • "The Promised Smile" (in Hellboy: An Assortment of Horrors)
    • "The Other Side of Summer" (in Hellboy: An Assortment of Horrors)

Christopher Golden has spoken about adapting some of his novels to comics in future. Not fully, but bits of them set in new stories, similar to the way the Baltimore novel was adapted to comics. He did stress that there was no plan to do this though, it's just something he'd like to do someday.
    Last edited by middenway; 08-08-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    The Christopher Golden ones are considered canon
    The novels by Christopher Golden (The Lost Army, The Bones of Giants, and The Dragon Pool) are canon, but only in a loose sense. So the events of the novel are canon, but the small details, like say the history of Hellboy's hairstyle, are not.

There's also a few short stories that are canon:
    • "The Nuckelavee" (in Hellboy: Odd Jobs)
    • "The Promised Smile" (in Hellboy: An Assortment of Horrors)
    • "The Other Side of Summer" (in Hellboy: An Assortment of Horrors)

Christopher Golden has spoken about adapting some of his novels to comics in future. Not fully, but bits of them set in new stories, similar to the way the Baltimore novel was adapted to comics. He did stress that there was no plan to do this though, it's just something he'd like to do someday.
    Ah, very cool. Thanks for the info, once I finish the Abe omni I'll be back!

Okay, finally finished the first Abe omni.

So, a couple of questions: will we learn more about Abe's past and his origins and was there a clamoring for solo Abe stories?

Now don't get me wrong, I love Abe but as a new reader I find Abe a bit drab simply because he's always so sullen.

So when this was published were people in love with Abe?

Okay, finally finished the first Abe omni.

So, a couple of questions: will we learn more about Abe's past and his origins and was there a clamoring for solo Abe stories?

Now don't get me wrong, I love Abe but as a new reader I find Abe a bit drab simply because he's always so sullen.

So when this was published were people in love with Abe?
    When you say "first omni" do you mean Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible – Volume 1 or Abe Sapien: The Drowning and Other Stories?

When you say "first omni" do you mean Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible – Volume 1 or Abe Sapien: The Drowning and Other Stories?
    Oops sorry, Abe Sapien The Drowning and Other Stories. I'm following the simple reading order you had given me earlier.

Oops sorry, Abe Sapien The Drowning and Other Stories. I'm following the simple reading order you had given me earlier.
    Ah, right. I wanted to check, just so I can safely avoid spoilers.

I don't remember much noise being made about those first 10 issues of Abe Sapien. I mean, The Drowning, sort of came out of nowhere—it was part of that sudden expansion of the Hellboy Universe that happened following the release of Hellboy: The Companion (the others being Lobster Johnson: The Iron Prometheus, Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels, and B.P.R.D.: 1946)—and the short stories The Haunted Boy, The Abyssal Plain, and The Devil Does Not Jest didn't really have the momentum behind them that suggested further stories like 1946 did.

However, when Abe Sapien shifted to an ongoing series with the beginning of the Dark and Terrible cycle, I think fans were starving for more Abe. In the two years leading up to the series, we hadn't seen much of him and Dark and Terrible came with the promise of exploring what Abe is. There was even a "31 Days of Abe" promotional month leading up to the series (which ballooned into 34 days by the end).
    Last edited by middenway; 08-13-2019 at 09:03 PM.