Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    Well, it would bring Roy Harper back....
    No it doesn't.
    A reboot is just that a REBOOT that OPENS the door to do whatever you want.

Whatever you want means get RID of characters someone doesn't like.

You don't see Jason Rusch running around anymore? Doomsday Clock made it clear Firestorm was Ronnie & Stein FIRST unlike New 52.

You go back to day one-you wipe out Tim and Damian's generations. You wipe out all your POC and LGBT since most of them can't be active if Batman is just starting with Dick as Robin.

Not ONE of the fans of characters like Tim, John Stewart and others are going to accept being told "you have to wait to see them once we established PETS like Batman."

You are going to lose those fans for good. Especially the ones who are already fed up like Wally fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Perhaps once Doomsday Clock concludes?
    Then again, that’d make no sense IMO.
    Doomsday Clock should map out the DCU and its history (meta verse), but a reboot is not what I’d go for right now.
    Well...
    Considering Johns isn't part of the Inner Circle anymore, I don't think Doomsday Clock is going to have the same impact on the DCU that it would've had four or five years ago.
    Snyder, Bendis and King will pick and choose what parts of Doomsday Clock fit into their ideas. They're not going to conform to fall in line with Johns' work.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Well...
    Considering Johns isn't part of the Inner Circle anymore, I don't think Doomsday Clock is going to have the same impact on the DCU that it would've had four or five years ago.
    Snyder, Bendis and King will pick and choose what parts of Doomsday Clock fit into their ideas. They're not going to conform to fall in line with Johns' work.
    That sounds so disheartening now. Wouldn't have several months ago. Wow!

Astonishing Member

DC should do a hard reboot every 10 to 12 years.

They need to flush a bunch of crap stories.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

You go back to day one-you wipe out Tim and Damian's generations. You wipe out all your POC and LGBT since most of them can't be active if Batman is just starting with Dick as Robin.

Not ONE of the fans of characters like Tim, John Stewart and others are going to accept being told "you have to wait to see them once we established PETS like Batman."

You are going to lose those fans for good. Especially the ones who are already fed up like Wally fans.
    As a fan of Tim Drake, I support a hard reboot.

Sometimes, often with DC, it's better for your character not to be published (because they aren't ruining her/him).

I don't see a reboot any time soon.

However, I suspect that we'll see a line-wide initiative announced come January 2020. All the titles will be monthly, Event Leviathan will have concluded, possibly Justice/Doom War and Metal II will be in the starting blocks.

What I expect will be that DC will use the wider possibilities offered by less flooding of the shelves by bimonthlies to actually give us some new or continuation of mini or maxi-series (under the wonder Comics brand, probably), some ongoing (hopefully Naomi) and other stories of the like. The enthranced characters are firmly established, the Legion of Super Heroes and the Justice Society of America will probably have their ongoings starting.

Come June or the end of Metal II, we'll be in a brand new phase of DC, but not at risk of a reboot, I think.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Doomsday Clock is not panning out to be the important story we were originally sold. It brought back the JSA but in terms of long term consequences on the rest of the DCU, it doesn't appear to have any. It supposedly takes place a year after the "current" continuity but we're coming up on nearly two years since it started in real time and so far there doesn't appear to be anything in the main books even acknowledging it. Unless this "Leviathan" thing has something to do with it. If this was meant to be some sort of soft reboot marking Rebirth as the official "new" continuity, I don't think anyone cares anymore. It's moved so slowly, I don't think it matters. In one of the issues Lois gets a file on the JSA and doesn't know who they are. In an upcoming issue of JL, they MEET the JSA. So obviously it's importance is either waning or non-existent at this point.

If we're getting some kind of reboot soon, I doubt Johns will have that much to do with it. If they're already more or less ignoring DC, then I think we can safely say that it's not relevant to anything and has nothing to do with anything coming up in the main books. I assume all the multiverse stuff they've been doing in books like JL are building to something bigger but, at this point, who knows. There have been so many false starts at this point.
    Assassinate Putin!

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You wipe out all your POC and LGBT since most of them can't be active if Batman is just starting with Dick as Robin.
    First Robin is Duke. First Batgirl is Cass. First Lantern is Jessica. Barry Allen is now a black man.

Put some effort into your reboot and piss everybody off, I say!

ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

In terms of relaunch initiative, I give it two more years tops. Maybe just one, if they want to capitalize on the new decade allure.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    In terms of relaunch initiative, I give it two more years tops. Maybe just one, if they want to capitalize on the new decade allure.
    Wasn't there a rumour that the line might get cut in half?

2020 would be a good year for "The New 20".
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Incredible Member

A reboot would kill the company after nu52 and rebirth in my opinion. Cant keep going to that well.

Good stories will be enough to add readers. Writing across all publishers in floppies at the minute, from what I'm reading, is solid but unspectacular. There will be a lot of readers out there waiting for someone to come in to the industry and rip it up - that person will be a big star and generate big sales.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

What if Rebirth IS the reboot? What if this is all we're getting? Everyone keeps thinking that they're going back to zero. There's no real reason to believe that. In terms of the pieces in place to build a functional universe, we kind of have that now. The JSA is back. The Legion is back. All the elements are already there. They went back to a married Superman. They went back to a WW that is with Trevor and got rid of all the Azzerello stuff. So far all the major "event" books have petered out. Rebirth, Doomsday Clock, etc. Unless this Metal book is leading to some big changes to continuity, I don't think we're getting them. Some rumor from a couple years ago isn't much to go on. Unless the upper management steps in and starts demanding more "synergy" with the movies or whatever, I don't think they're going to go back to an unmarried Superman anytime soon. Not liking some of the creative decisions of late is not a sign that they're going to clean house. Like I said, some elements of Doomsday Clock are already being ignored. This could be a sign of a reboot or it could just be a sign that no one outside of Johns cares. Sort of like Didio and Convergence. It would seem to be a waste of Rebirth to turn around and just reboot again. Unless sales numbers have really fallen off the cliff that badly. I haven't been keeping track of DC sales so I honestly don't know.
    Assassinate Putin!

Fantastic Member

Doomsday Clock will have no bearing on anything. Scott Snyder admitted in a recent interview that DC has moved past it already, if that wasn't glaringly obvious from the crap they're printing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    A reboot would kill the company after nu52 and rebirth in my opinion. Cant keep going to that well.
    I agree. But it's coming; Snyder's building to some type of reboot with all his Multiverse and Source Wall stuff. Whether it's a hard one or a soft one remains to be seen, but I'd wager most readers already have feelings as to whether or not it will be a good one.

Knowing the DC Office members and their love of reboots it could be anytime now lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

About 5 years
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Doomsday Clock and Johns' overall influence being gone makes me generally happy. I wish he was still around working on the concepts he IS good with, but not at the expense of him mapping out the entire universe anymore. We've been there, done that Unfortunately we're just at another been there, done that with Didio and Lee, so that tempers any enthusiasm I might have for the next era. DC needs new guiding hands and new visions.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El