Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Anyone else confused by yestarday's news?

So....is there continutiy in the DCU? Is it the 'New 52' continuity? Or is eveything going to be loose and kind of stand alone like the pre-Marvel DCU?

My brain hurts.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

It's the same continuity with new books and maybe less crossovers.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by edpower View Post
    So....is there continutiy in the DCU? Is it the 'New 52' continuity? Or is eveything going to be loose and kind of stand alone like the pre-Marvel DCU?

My brain hurts.
    They just dropped the title and cancelled/announced a bunch if books nothing else.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Its still the "New 52" continuity. Its just the brand name of "New 52" is ending because it no longer applies. Its the same world though. So since they're retiring the brand name they'll probably just refer to it as Earth-0 as that's its multiverse designation. Just remember that Earth-0=New 52=main line continuity and you'll be alright.

The talk about less focus on continuity is just a relative term meant to promote the idea that they're going to be more focus on just the quality of the individual titles, that's all. And that we'll see more of a variant in tone of books, in regards to your really serious stuff to more lighthearted and comedic stuff. Its still a shared world though.

BANNED

I feel like the OP. DC is going to play it loose with continuity. But, there's not much continuity to begin with, so playing loose with it doesn't make much sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    It's the same continuity with new books and maybe less crossovers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its still the "New 52" continuity. Its just the brand name of "New 52" is ending because it no longer applies. Its the same world though. So since they're retiring the brand name they'll probably just refer to it as Earth-0 as that's its multiverse designation. Just remember that Earth-0=New 52=main line continuity and you'll be alright.

The talk about less focus on continuity is just a relative term meant to promote the idea that they're going to be more focus on just the quality of the individual titles, that's all. And that we'll see more of a variant in tone of books, in regards to your really serious stuff to more lighthearted and comedic stuff. Its still a shared world though.
    ^^
    I'm amazed so many people are finding it that confusing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    ^^
    I am amazed by this as well. It is far from Quantum Physics.

Marvel does that every couple of years with their Dark Age, Heroic Age, Marvel Now, Marvel All New Now and whatever else, but somehow people find it confusing only when DC does it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    I am amazed by this as well. It is far from Quantum Physics.
    It's also far from remedial physics.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Don't you know? Posting on the internet immediately lowers the intelligence in 3 out of 5 people.

Wow. I'm new(er) to reading the DCU, and if I have questions, believe me, I will make sure NOT to ask here.

Ouch.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Wow. I'm new(er) to reading the DCU, and if I have questions, believe me, I will make sure NOT to ask here.

Ouch.
    TBH, people here are really judgemental.

BANNED

OK, I didn't post anything negative, but I was thinking it, so now I feel bad.

I guess, as an excuse, it gets frustrating to see what seems like people jumping to far-fetched conclusions.

They announce that the "new52" branding is going away, and people think the new52 continuity is going away. Is "branding" not a word most people are familiar with?

I acknowledge that the "story trumps continuity" line is vague, but I think when in doubt, one should assume minor changes rather than major ones. Maybe that comes from being a long-time reader and being rather in touch with the priorities of the publishers and whatnot.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

It is a time of upheaval. All the conspiracy theorists and haters come out of the wood works. Some times it is hard to tell who is genuinely asking a question and who is trolling.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel_Is View Post
    I feel like the OP. DC is going to play it loose with continuity. But, there's not much continuity to begin with, so playing loose with it doesn't make much sense.
    Marvel and DC has both been playing loose with continuity for years. It's like Marvel is one big 'What If' and DC is one big 'Elseworlds'. If a writer wants to do a storyline, just retcon whatever happened. Go to companies like Valiant and Image for continuity.