Default Aliens Comics Appreciation Thread 2019

Anyone else a fan of these comics on here?

I've been a fan since the start, and have most Aliens & AvP books in either trades or issues. The last five years has been a truly great time to be an Aliens fan though, with Dark Horse really stepping up their releases compared to previous years, and creating an interesting story that has run through several titles, as well as some cracking minis and some fresh collected editions like the 30th Anniversary and Essentials collections. The quality of the recent books has been very high, with the only minor complaint being a few delayed issues (Dust to Dust, I'm looking at you).

• Fire & Stone Crossover (2014-2015)
    • Aliens: Defiance (2016-2017)
    • Life and Death Crossover (2016-2017)
    • Aliens: Dead Orbit (2018)
    • Aliens: Dust to Dust (2018-2019)
    • William Gibson's Alien 3 (2018-2019)
    • Aliens: Resistance (2019)
    • Aliens: Rescue (coming in July 2019)
    • Aliens: Colonial Marines - Rising Threat (coming in September 2019)

Not only have the stories been interesting, but there has been some spectacular art on show, and some instant classic covers. Some of these are so good I'm thinking about getting them framed.

A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpg

So yeah, talk about Aliens comics old and new here, if you're into that kind of thing.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

Could only fit 3 images in a post, so just wanted to continue by saying I love the minimalist covers for William Gibson's Alien 3. Issue #1 is a thing of beauty.

A4.jpg
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth

Spectacular Member

I have a good chunk of them.

Since Disney now owns them, I don't get Aliens, Predator, or Prometheus anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by boltmonster View Post
    Since Disney now owns them, I don't get Aliens, Predator, or Prometheus anymore.
    Why? I mean, I get if you have an issue with Disney, but they don't own Dark Horse. DH just use the characters under licence like they've always done.
    Currently Reading

Spectacular Member

The same as I won't see a Disney Marvel movie. Disney doesn't have to own everything. They only use 25% if what they did not create.

Quote Originally Posted by boltmonster View Post
    The same as I won't see a Disney Marvel movie. Disney doesn't have to own everything. They only use 25% if what they did not create.
    Fair enough, I won't argue personal choice. Would say you're missing out on some great books though.
    Currently Reading

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

"Where there's smoke, there's fire. Yeah, the fires of hell." Vol.1, Vol.2, Theory of Alien Propagation, Genocide, Music of the Spears, Rogue, Labyrinth, Stronghold, Sacrifice, Salvation, AvP (original story) and AvP: War are all untouchable for me. The original Colonial Marines mini started off great, but the ending was kind of wack. The new stuff is amazing as well. Aliens comics blew my mind when I first read them. I really want a story that goes into deep the biology of the xenomorph life form and the potential spiritual/racial ramifications of the species' relation with the Engineers (I personally think that the society that the Engineers created is a space-faring terminus for the 'ideal' societies thought up by people like Julius Evola and early Lovecraft), as well as the fears of the void and violation seen in the first and third films. There's alot to mine in the Alien universe beyond xenos fighting marines and giant lizard trophy hunters.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Incredible Member

I actually just finished reading all 6 Alien omnibuses from Dark Horse. Loved them. There were some one off stories that weren’t great but the ones that followed the overall narrative and broad story arc where pretty great. Seeing how, what I assumed at first where individual, storylines tie together was a lot of fun.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I actually just finished reading all 6 Alien omnibuses from Dark Horse. Loved them. There were some one off stories that weren’t great but the ones that followed the overall narrative and broad story arc where pretty great. Seeing how, what I assumed at first where individual, storylines tie together was a lot of fun.
    Aliens comics began to change around 1997. There were some great one-shots like Glass Mirror and Stalker, but the minis began to decline in quality. The Destroying Angels had alot of potential, but it was never followed up on. There was something of an attempted resurrection with the Xenogenesis minis, but again, they ultimately went nowhere in terms of any larger arcs. And don't get me started on Aliens vs. Predator vs. Terminator. Fortunately, Dark Horse is back to making quality stories.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."