Howdy!

It's been a while since I posted about this, but for the past several years, it's been a dream of mine to make my first comic book — specifically a revival of the Golden Age character Crimebuster, aka Chuck Chandler. Chuck was the star of Boy Comics for 117 issues from 1942 through 1956. Though he's nearly forgotten today, his series had some excellent writing, and I love the character. And since he's in the public domain, I decided to finally continue his adventures!

I started drawing the first issue back in October, and basically put in 1-2 hours every single day after work, and on weekends. It took me months, but at the end of April, I finally finished the first issue — and now it's live in Kickstarter! I'm really excited. I've always wanted to make comics, so this is a dream come true.

The Crimebusters is basically my ode to classic teen detective novels like The Three Investigators or Trixie Belden. If you like Scooby Doo or Archie's Weird Adventures, this might be up your alley. I intentionally tried to develop an Archie style of art for this. I also introduced a new partner for Chuck, Trixie Trouble, who is my homage to classic girl detectives like Nancy Drew.

And I'm picking up the continuity from Boy Comics right where it left off, so the story is set in 1956, there are old school editor's notes about previous issue numbers of stories that are referenced, and two of the variant covers continue the original numbering (including one that has the old Boy Comics logo.

Anyway, I had a blast working on this, and I'm now hard at work on issue #2. If you're interested, you can check out my website here, or you can head over to the Kickstarter page for a free six page sneak preview of the first issue.

Thanks for reading! And here's a look at the four covers for the first issue - the regular cover, the Kickstarter Exclusive Legacy Number variant, the Boy comics variant, and the Trixie's Mysteries variant. You'll notice that all three variants are also homages to classic comic book covers. Thanks!!

covers square.jpg