Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default What do you think of Bendis' work so far?

Hey all! Not a regular Superman fan, but I know the basics. In light of the Legion of Superheroes announcement, I wanted to check Bendis' work in DC and I got his 1st Action Comics volume. Although nothing groundbreaking, I have to say I liked his voice for Superman and I would like to hear the opinion of regular Superman fans. Do you like his work on the Superman books so far? What do you think of the changes he brought?

I am mostly enjoying it, yes. His voice for Superman is 100% spot on. His world building with Metropolis in Action is also aces. Where he's had some troubles is pacing in Superman, and making the new Rogol Zaar villain there interesting (this may change soon). He's also had some voice issues with Lois, but that seems to be improving with time. His change to Jon has been highly controversial, but I'm not sure how much you care about him for that to be a factor.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Worst superman villian ever

Destruction of the superman family

Overrated take on Clark

Awful Lois lane

Overrated event(leviathan)

Just about the worst run superman has ever gotten since new 52

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

His work in Action Comics is the best that book has since Greg Pak was on the title. His Superman has big ideas but they don’t always work, but I’m still enjoying it a lot. As for the changes, I think I teen Jon has a lot of potential and am excited to see where he goes.

As for what Bendis is doing with Lois and Clark, I wish he’d make a definitive stance on it, but I guess that’s what the Lois lane book will explore.

I hear Action is better but his Man of Steel and Unity Saga arcs are some of the worst Superman stories I’ve ever read. There are interesting ideas buried under the plot holes, terrible characterizations and decompressed pacing. But unfortunately what he’s delivered so far is frankly awful with some ok bits in between.

Intresting ideas, yet poorly executed mess. Big build up with an uninteresting payoff. IMO

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I am mostly enjoying it, yes. His voice for Superman is 100% spot on. His world building with Metropolis in Action is also aces. Where he's had some troubles is pacing in Superman, and making the new Rogol Zaar villain there interesting (this may change soon). He's also had some voice issues with Lois, but that seems to be improving with time. His change to Jon has been highly controversial, but I'm not sure how much you care about him for that to be a factor.
    Yes, I have not checked Man of Steel or Superman yet, but I plan to. Btw spoilers:
    does Luthor know Superman's secret identity?
    end of spoilers I was left with this impression after a conversation between Clark and Lois in Action Comics.

Fantastic Member

The anti-Rebirth fans love it. That's about as positive a remark as I can give it.

I thought it sucked, and that's why I dropped both books.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    The anti-Rebirth fans love it. That's about as positive a remark as I can give it.

You mean anti-Rebirth Superman, or anti-Rebirth in general? Because I find it very hard to imagine someone not liking DC's Rebirth era, apart from Didio and his crew.

More than just anti-Rebirth fans like it.

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Yes, I have not checked Man of Steel or Superman yet, but I plan to. Btw spoilers:
    does Luthor know Superman's secret identity?
    end of spoilers I was left with this impression after a conversation between Clark and Lois in Action Comics.
    I don't think he does, but then again he just got a new upgraded body after blowing his own up and is like this harbinger of wishes guy right now. So who knows what he knows now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Really good to great stuff with fantastic world building. Consistently great art, and a genuinely novel take on aspects of Superman's motivations and personal hang-ups.

The changes, while rightfully controversial, are in service of an overall theme that I can really get behind. And one of the biggest draws for me personally is how large in scope and ultimately planned this run is. There's a real sense of working towards something in both Superman books.

My only real issues with the run so far are the lack of supplementary material for a specific plot point, and some odd word choices that were not simply Bendis' colloquialisms. The first arc of the Superman book also wasn't as tight as it could have been with one genuinely poorly used issue. It's early on, and from then on world building and character continue.

Edit: I'd be an example of a person who genuinely dug Rebirth, and also greatly enjoys this run.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-18-2019 at 02:11 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post

I enjoyed a lot of rebirth but love Bendis’s run, you are generalizing too much here.

BANNED

In the main Superman book, i like his work.
    I found the Earth In The Phantom Zone quite enjoyable and reminded me older times. I can't wait to see the resolution with ''Jor El'' and Rogol.
    However, his Action Comics run is a bit off and boring. He tried to make it into a street book and it didn't worked well. Now, he is converting it into a Spy/ James Bond thriller.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I love his voice for the characters.

SUPERMAN is my favorite title from the two. I really like where it is going. I hope we get more meaty issues though. The plot has stopped into a crawl.

Action Comics was great during the invisible mafia stuff. I don't care much about the leviathan build up. It seems there was a lot of repeat.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    You mean anti-Rebirth Superman, or anti-Rebirth in general? Because I find it very hard to imagine someone not liking DC's Rebirth era, apart from Didio and his crew.
    Both.

And just to clarify, I did not say that everyone who likes this was necessarily anti-Rebirth. But I notice that people who were (not just here) are usually in favor of Bendis's run. For me, that's just another reinforcement that I'm not the audience DC seeks. I'll leave it at that.