Default Star Wars monthly: Aaron vs Gillen

With Gillien's run coming to a close, any thoughts on how these two runs have been compared to each other?

I think Aaron's run was a bit more unorthodox, with stuff such as revealing there was a first, shorter duel between Luke and Vader which becomes the catalyst for him eventually figuring out who Luke is (As he recognizes his old lightsaber) and Han's "wife". I also enjoyed the Obi-Wan stuff, but I felt that the Yoda issues that ended his run was kind of were iffy.

Gillen's run is in, a few ways, a continuation of his Vader work (along with his Aphra comic)-especially since we've had quite a few arcs revolving around Queen Trios. However, I think his run-which seems to be also be heavily reliant on Rogue One and Solo references -kind of drags a bit with the story, and the inconsistent Salvador Larocca art at the beginning didn't help IMO. However, I thought the Mon Calamari and Hope Dies were pretty good, and helped explain why the rebel command in ANH and Rogue One is a bit different from ESB and ROTJ.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think Aaron gave it a great start and added more than just story. I like Gillen's (Lacocca almost made me quit) but there were time as it turned to "what would Jyn do?" that took me out of the current story and seem to be forced.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think Gillen's run would have been much better served if he had a stronger editor to tell him, "Six issues for this story? How about three." He just had so much filler that made his stories go on for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think Gillen's run would have been much better served if he had a stronger editor to tell him, "Six issues for this story? How about three." He just had so much filler that made his stories go on for ages.
    Are we talking just the main Star Wars series or his work on the Vader and Aphra ones, as well?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Are we talking just the main Star Wars series or his work on the Vader and Aphra ones, as well?
    Just on Star Wars, I didn't think it was an issue on his Vader run and I never read Aphra.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Just on Star Wars, I didn't think it was an issue on his Vader run and I never read Aphra.
    Okay then. (IMHO, the Aphra one turned out pretty well; only his last arc there ("Remastered") felt really padded.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)