Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cancelled comics that resumed publication and lasted another year or more

Comics I can think of, off the top of my head, that were cancelled at one time and resumed numbering when revived, AND lasted longer than 12 issues afterwards...

Green Lantern - cancelled with #89, #90 resumed four years later and lasted for another 135 issues.
    All-Star Comics - cancelled with #57 (with All-Star Western taking over), resumed 25 years later with #58 and lasted for another 16 issues.
    Adventure Comics - cancelled with #503, resumed with #1 (but the variant cover had it as #504) 26 years later and lasted for 26 issues.

Honorable mention:
    Teen Titans - cancelled with #43, resumed with #44 four years later and lasted 10 more issues before getting re-cancelled.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 06-18-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Metal Men ended with 1970's #41 and picked up in '73 with #42 and ran for a few years bimonthly until '78's #56.

Thanks, Jody.
    Knew there had to have been more.

Another 'Honorable Mention' goes to Challengers of the Unknown.
    Cancelled with #80, it was revived with #81 four years later, but only lasted seven issues.

Blackhawk-cancelled with #243 (Nov '68)

revived with #244 in Feb '76, lasted until issue #250 in Jan '77 (lasted a year but was bi-monthly so only 7 issues) but revived again with #251 in October 82 and lasted until #273 in Nov '84.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 06-18-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Thanks, MRP!

Warlord was actually cancelled after its second issue. The third issue came out six months after the second issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Warlord was actually cancelled after its second issue. The third issue came out six months after the second issue.
    I forgot about that.
    Thanks Capt!

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Andreyko's Manhunter makes it in just under the wire. Cancelled at #25, came back only to be cancelled 13 issues later at #38. And shortly after that Kate got a 13-issue back-up run in Streets of Gotham.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Flash comics cancelled with issue #104 ending Jays run and picked up by Barry with #105, about 10 years later.

Wally's series also cancelled at issue 230 in 2006 and came back for about 15 issues a year later.

Speaking of Flash, Showcase also cencelled with issue 104 and came back for a hand full of issues in the late 70's I believe.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Did you want to include books that ceased publication for a time because they were placed on hiatus for a publishing agenda rather than cancelled? I am thinking of Action Comics and Superman/Adventures of Superman that ceased publication between Sept 1986 and January 1987 while the Man of Steel mini was published and then resumed publication and continued the numbering (Action 583 to 584, Superman 423 to Adventures of Superman 424). It's not exactly the same as you were looking for, but it's close.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Flash comics cancelled with issue #104 ending Jays run and picked up by Barry with #105, about 10 years later.

Wally's series also cancelled at issue 230 in 2006 and came back for about 15 issues a year later.

Speaking of Flash, Showcase also cencelled with issue 104 and came back for a hand full of issues in the late 70's I believe.
    Showcase was cancelled with #93 in Sept. 1970. Revived with #94 in August '77, ended again with 104 in Sept, '78, so lasted 11 issues over the span of a year (I think it has the 8 times a year publication frequency several DC books did in the 70s).

-M

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Showcase was cancelled with #93 in Sept. 1970. Revived with #94 in August '77, ended again with 104 in Sept, '78, so lasted 11 issues over the span of a year (I think it has the 8 times a year publication frequency several DC books did in the 70s).

-M
    Oh yeah, your right. 104 was the last issue. Brain fart.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'm too slow! Was going to mention both Manhunter and the Flash.
    (So glad Kate is back!)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Did you want to include books that ceased publication for a time because they were placed on hiatus for a publishing agenda rather than cancelled? I am thinking of Action Comics and Superman/Adventures of Superman that ceased publication between Sept 1986 and January 1987 while the Man of Steel mini was published and then resumed publication and continued the numbering (Action 583 to 584, Superman 423 to Adventures of Superman 424). It's not exactly the same as you were looking for, but it's close.

-M
    It's not my thread, but cases like Action and Superman on hiatus with a replacement book for a few months when a future issue is definitely on the schedule to me isn't a real cancellation. My dividing line is a planned and published future issue.

Retired

I'm kind of disappointed that everyone has already named most of the ones that I would have said. But I think I have one that no one else is likely to mention. LEAVE IT TO BINKY--began in 1948 (actually the very end of 1947) and ran for 60 issues before it faded away in 1957/58--issue 58 was dated January-February 1957, then 59 was dated October 1957, then 60 was dated October 1958. Then LEAVE IT TO BINKY came back with issue 61 in 1968 and kept going through 1970 when with issue 72 the name was shortened to just BINKY, and 81 being almost the final issue in 1971. But wait, BINKY came back for issue 82 in Summer 1977.

And that seems to be the last of the title, although Binky himself returned for some of the DC digests in the 1980s. There was also a companion title called BINKY'S BUDDIES that lasted for 12 issues in 1969 and 1970.