Spectacular Member

Default What can we expect from the changes happening in current comics?

Back in Dark Nights: Metal and Justice League: No Justice the Source Wall broke and we've had some consequences of that but I feel like we haven't experienced the full consequences of it. When do you think this will actually be addressed and effect the DC universe in the massive way that it should?

Also, what about the changes they're doing. They've killed off Lex Luthor and are reportedly bringing him back as a Martian hybrid. To me that seems like a big development for the character, so how long will this change last? And will be a long term change? Plus, do you think Year of the Villain will effect the DC Universe in a massive way? What about the events of Event Levithan and Wally West after HiC?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When Snyder wrote The Court of Owls as a group that controls Gotham, the impression I got was he's going to change how Gotham operate, but that didn't happen. At first, I thought it's because they've been defeated, but they're not. They show up later in his stories without any significant effect in Gotham. They're either contained in their focus series, Talon or show up as a solution or catalyst for his plots, like in Eternal and Metal.

His Joker has a more lasting effect on Batman and his series than The Court.

So whatever The Source Wall effect may be, it's more of a setup for future stories or villains. Not something whose effect is going to be felt directly by the characters. Meaning the full consequence, like The Court of Owls, maybe never happening.

On the other hand, just like his Joker, The Batman Who Laughs became much more relevant than the framing event.

So I foresee Year of The Villain will be like previous Snyder events. There will be one or two lasting consequences, but they're more in the background and act as a setup for future stories.

As for Leviathan, since Bendis already change the landscape directly by aging up Jon and bringing back Young Justice, then implying Kon lived in Smallville with The Kents, I feel the effect of his event will be immediately and directly felt.

Wally West content will remain relevant only to Wally West, maybe Titans and The Flash, because that's as far as he's gone in Rebirth past.

Amazing Member

Expect a reboot in a few years which restores some sort of Silver/Bronze Age status quo, because that's what the fans and writers enjoy the most.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    Back in Dark Nights: Metal and Justice League: No Justice the Source Wall broke and we've had some consequences of that but I feel like we haven't experienced the full consequences of it. When do you think this will actually be addressed and effect the DC universe in the massive way that it should?
    When there is some sort of regime change at DC that streamlines the entire operation.

You are only seeing limited effects likely because Snyder's editors only have the Justice League books and Flash. Books likes Green Lantern, Aquaman, Superman, Batman, WW are in the hands of other editors who are less likely to play ball with him especially since GL/Superman/Batman have their own a-list writers with their own plans.

DC does a lot of changing without actually changing to anything. It's a ride supposedly going to somewhere without ever arriving at a location.

Quote Originally Posted by RBerman View Post
    Expect a reboot in a few years which restores some sort of Silver/Bronze Age status quo, because that's what the fans and writers enjoy the most.
    I wish someone could place the silver / Bronze Age in a chest and bury it deep somewhere. That nostalgia adds nothing.