Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Age of X-Man: NextGen #5 (spoilers/discussion)

Huh.

We've had two AoXM series wrap today, and both ended on a definite down note. Glob screwed up and got everyone captured and mind-wiped, and Kurt sacrificed himself so Meggan and baby TJ could keep their memories. It's pretty clear in both cases that this was done so there will be nothing to interfere with the narrative in Marvelous X-Men leading into X-Men: Omega. Which is frustrating, given that Marvelous probably ranks 4th of five so far as my enjoyment of these minis goes, but it's the flagship book, so fair enough, I guess.

Of the two, I have to say that Nextgen's ending fell flat for me. Brisson did quite a good job writing a self-contained story, but at the end of the day, it doesn't have much to say beyond the main theme of the event: This is an oppressive dystopia and that sucks. I mean, not going to argue that point, sure, but we've got four other books exploring that same premise, so I was hoping for a bit more in the way of identity and focused character work. The tragedy of Glob leading his friends to ruin doesn't quite land for me either because these characters really don't have a lot of history together. (Also, minus points for forgetting Santo doesn't have to eat.)

An aspect of this mini that really did work for me, though, was showing the more insidious abuses of power. In the larger scheme of things, we've got Nate and Dept X willing to overwrite everyone's free will, but in the microcosm of the school, it's just feels like so much more a detestable violation of trust because the targets are children. Jeffries and Skids flat out lying to Rockslide about the consequences of history, Sunfire's D.A.R.E-style propaganda encouraging kids to narc on each other, and Pixie buying into all of it... that was creepy ****, and relatable enough from my own school days that it really hit home.

So yeah. Maybe not the strongest wrap, but Brisson was pretty clearly hobbled by the constraints of the event when it came to executing this last chapter, and he managed to deliver a consistently decent tale despite that. Just wish it had finished a bit stronger.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 06-19-2019 at 06:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Sad to hear it ends in a disappointing way. This mini was my favorite of the AoXM series.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Even though I wasn’t the biggest fan of this issue, that scene with Iara sitting alone just demolished me.

Yeah, kinda bummed that this ended with everyone mind-wiped again. I thought something from each book would carry on to Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Yeah, kinda bummed that this ended with everyone mind-wiped again. I thought something from each book would carry on to Omega.
    Glob will probably carry his memories of this whole thing back with him. Woo.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    yeah it just kind of wet farts into Prisoner X

I kinda got Brisson's idae of writing a disconsolate end with Glob's caveat. But I'm just disappointed.

In fact, I hope X-Men had put Pixie in the Danger Room and ming-wipe her too, that would be more ironic and dramatic, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WildR View Post
    I kinda got Brisson's idae of writing a disconsolate end with Glob's caveat. But I'm just disappointed.

In fact, I hope X-Men had put Pixie in the Danger Room and ming-wipe her too, that would be more ironic and dramatic, lol.
    Pixie was probably at least partially mind-wiped; I can't see her being allowed to keep her knowledge of Glob's journal or even her memories of them existing if she was going back to the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Pixie was probably at least partially mind-wiped; I can't see her being allowed to keep her knowledge of Glob's journal or even her memories of them existing if she was going back to the school.
    Very possible. She's on the cover of Omega.

I actually loved this. It is a very sad story, the kind that touched me in a way comics hardly do. The teens really were hopeful, they thought they could change the world, like kids do, but the world is controlled by bigger forces and most of the times plans and dreams go to ruin because of that. The beautiful thing is that these kids stood up for each other until the end. Even though Nate created a world of isolation, they became friends and sacrificed themselves for their peers (except for Pixie, that was really naive, but she is on the cover for the Omega issue. She might have more to her arc).

I really think the story is beautiful. It broke the expectations I had, but in a way that made sense. What could have they done? Nate has telepaths and everything occurs according to his plans. Like Generation Next, in Age of Apocalypse, the story ended bad for the kids, who had no one to protect them in this new reality. they're just heroes that no one will ever know (in this reality).

But the Omega issue will conclude the story, like in Age of Apocalypse, so at least Glob's arc is still going further. And Pixie's I suppose. Either way, I loved the journey.

This cast of students have history by way of Spider-Man and the X-Men, Extraordinary X-Men, and the lead up in Uncanny. I definitely felt crushed to see how quickly this story devolved into one or hopelessness. Weird plot holes aside (Northstar not being able to catch four teens - three of whom are tanks) this was a satisfying story if not a bleak one.

Quote Originally Posted by WildR View Post
    Very possible. She's on the cover of Omega.
    Maybe she replaces Moneta in Dept. X...

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Maybe she replaces Moneta in Dept. X...
    That wouldn’t really be too much of a stretch, though. Besides her being a Civil Management student, she’s uprooted a student rebellion and is the face of a lot of pro-Nate school propaganda.

I actually thought the blonde wig moment was going to reveal Jubilee was working to help hide the kids -___- was disappointed when I realized it was Armor. It was a left field thought but a nice lil crossover idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    That wouldn’t really be too much of a stretch, though. Besides her being a Civil Management student, she’s uprooted a student rebellion and is the face of a lot of pro-Nate school propaganda.
    ...which would mean Dept. X all get reset again at the end of issue 5, which would break my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    This cast of students have history by way of Spider-Man and the X-Men, Extraordinary X-Men, and the lead up in Uncanny. I definitely felt crushed to see how quickly this story devolved into one or hopelessness. Weird plot holes aside (Northstar not being able to catch four teens - three of whom are tanks) this was a satisfying story if not a bleak one.
    Uncanny was what I was referring to when I say they "don't have a lot of history". But Spider-Man and the X-Men is pretty much on the same level as saying these guys have meaningful history because they go to the same school together. And all the awesome bonding and growth experiences Glob and Anole were supposed to do in Extraordinary? Took place almost entirely off-panel; it's a whole lot of "stories yet to be told". (Or maybe it didn't; Word of God says Glob and Rockslide are besties all of a sudden.) Even in this reality, none of these guys seem to even like Glob very much before they all fall into crisis together. I mean, I like most of these character individually, but I am not feeling the chemistry or any real character work going on for anyone except Glob. The other three kids could have been swapped out for almost any other three X-Kids and the book would have read just about the same.

And again, I do think Brisson's told a good story overall. But the lack of that preexisting emotional hook and not a lot done in the story itself to set one means I feel a lot more detatched about this mini than I do with Nightcrawler's solo or The X-Tremists.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 06-19-2019 at 08:12 AM.