Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you do with Aquaman, if he couldn't be king of Atlantis

You get to reboot Aquaman any way you like, with one caveat - he cannot ever become king of Atlantis. What would you do? This is starting entire universe fresh, from ground up.

I've never enjoyed the politics involved with him ruling. And it's kinda colonialist, when he wasn't raised there, and they are bad and have to be "fixed" by him. But mostly, I don't like the political storylines. But I can never figure out what I would want to do with him.

Our oceans (our world, really) is polluted by millions of tons of plastic, most of which are ending on the ocean floor and then in the whole chain food there, back to us.

I would have Aquaman as a roaming hero, saving people but also confronting head-on companies and government who uphold the system which is killing all life in the seas, no matter the consequence for his standing and health.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I wouldn't get rid of Atlantis, but I would get rid of the concept that they're "bad". I'd also lean hard into sci-fi futurism with Atlantis, and move away entirely from the generic medieval fantasy aesthetic. I'd also abolish the monarchy.

That said, if I HAD TO- Arthur and Mera would be roaming superheroes. They'd battle big corporations and be the protectors of the sea. Orm could rule Atlantis and have a strained relationship with his brother. They're not friends but they are brothers, that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-19-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Make him the owner of a successful Fish & Chips fast-food restaurant chain?

Have him open up a Surf Shop in Cali.

Mera and him live in the Aqua-Van.

Madcap adventures ensue.
    Batman - Daredevil

Well, I guess then he's just an aquatic Superhero .

Having him be a drifter, going from place to place, helping out if he can.

Astonishing Member

I'd have Aquaman's dad be someone who had discovered the destroyed civilization of Atlantis. "They are dead, Jim". Kaput. Sleeping literally with the fishes.

Aquadad is a bit of a nut who fearing global warming decides making himself and his kid into water breathers is a great idea. Using what he learned from Atlantean records he does that, but the process doesn't work too well and Aquadad joins the Atlanteans in that "big aquarium under the trenches".

Infant Aquababy grows up with only fish for companions. He learns the law of the sea- "Big fish eat little fish", "Swim fast, stay alive", and "Avoid blood in the water"

He is discovered at one point by Tom Curry who teaches him about humans, but Tom dies and Aquateen returns to the ruins of Atlantis.

Now Aquaman emerges...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Living on land with Mera but is still respected enough as a descendant of the previous King to be an ambassador or peacekeeper between Atlantean and human.
    Wonder Woman. I just realized I made him Wonder Woman.

I have attempted to start reading Aquaman exactly 3 separate times in my life...and on all 3 occasions, Arthur had lost the throne for some reason or another and was on the outs with Atlantis. Are you telling me there are stories that actually exist where he is King and stays that way for a while? lol
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Ideally Aquaman should be portrayed as the king of Atlantis. It creates a compelling dynamic that is relatively rare in Western comic books being that of a superhero monarch. Its been done before, but rarely has this type of character been pushed to the forefront of their own Big Two monthly. There is so much potential in this premise, and I'm in awe that DC hasn't taken advantage of this. Game of Thrones in funnybook panels.

But to answer the question, I would either do this:

1. Have Aquaman, in order to prevent a catastrophe that is occurring in the present day, time travel back to the Atlantis of Greek times, before it sank.

or this

2. Have the Aquaman monthly become a DC cosmic title in which he make residence in an entirely aquatic world.

Link To My Comics Review Blog:
    https://comicbookheartbreak.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 06-19-2019 at 05:58 PM.

He could always be a globe-travelling swimsuit model . . .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I have attempted to start reading Aquaman exactly 3 separate times in my life...and on all 3 occasions, Arthur had lost the throne for some reason or another and was on the outs with Atlantis. Are you telling me there are stories that actually exist where he is King and stays that way for a while? lol
    Yes the entire Peter David volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Jeff Parker's run, for one.

(I also think he was king for the entirety of Dan Jurgens' run, but don't quote me on that ).

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

EASY!
    Protector of the world's oceans and marine life.
    Arthur would be the ULTIMATE eco-warrior.
    Japanese whaling? - Fleet destroyed while in dock. Solved
    Oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? - Mera does her thing and forces the polluted water back into hull long enough for Arthur to plug the hole. Done
    Giant floating island of plastic in the Atlantic Ocean? - Quick call to Supes to shoot that bugger into space and heat vision the **** outta it. Gone

Then you'd have the conglomerates/countries and big businesses looking to remove the thorn in their sides and start hiring shady types to make sure Aquaman is left sleeping with the fishes.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.