View Poll Results: How do you like the Weekly reviews so far?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I honestly couldn't care less

0 0%
  • I hate it, a waste of space

0 0%
  • It's okay

3 25.00%
  • It's fun, I check every now and then

7 58.33%
  • I love it, I check every week

2 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default weekly collection reviews part 10

Previous reviews :

part 1
    part 2
    part 3
    part 4
    part 5
    part 6
    part 7
    part 8
    part 9

Hiya folks! This week is the amazing 10th edition already! I never thought I'd be able to hold it out for so long (also thanks to Diamond) but I hope I'll be doing this for a long time, I'm having a blast doing it!

To get to the point, this week's review will be about a forum favourite. This week's comic will not be about superheroes punching each other or bizarre sci-fi adventures. This time I'm taking a look at a beautiful, emotional comic (yes, they exist) called Daytripper.

Daytripper is a tale about Bras de Olivia Domingos, the child of a famous Brazilian writer. Daytripper has 10 chapters and every chapter shows a small part of Bras' life. But every chapter ends the same, he dies, and the next chapter completely ignores that death and tells the story as if he survived. The story manages to move you every time. When Bras is down, you're devastated, when Bras is happy, you are overjoyed. You follow him through his life with all the misfortune and joy, ups and downs. That's why his death always manages you to feel like you just been hit by a truck. It isn't depressing though. Because life is finite, and only when you accept that, you can live life to the fullest.

I don't want to spoil much more, just know that this is a wonderfull comic. Even my most comic book hating friends had to shed a few tears when they read this tale. I recommend this to practically anyone.

Have you read this comic or want to read this? Share your thoughts here
    Last edited by victorxd1999; 08-02-2014 at 02:09 AM.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

This was an amazing read, such an emotional book and great art.

Should probably mention its available in Deluxe/OHC

I've got a couple of ideas for reviews, might write something up tomorrow for you to use as a fill in.

10th edition, wow! Now we have to reach the 100th! And I'm eagerly awaiting our mighty mod's reviews, too.

Daytripper is another book on my absurdly long list of "must-read" comics. One of these days I'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    This was an amazing read, such an emotional book and great art.

Should probably mention its available in Deluxe/OHC

I've got a couple of ideas for reviews, might write something up tomorrow for you to use as a fill in.
    I would love that! Fill ins are always welcome.

Indeed Diamond, 100 here we come!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I understand it's held in high regard, but I just don't get it. The whole thing falls completely flat for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    I understand it's held in high regard, but I just don't get it. The whole thing falls completely flat for me.
    Everyone has their own taste.
    But out of curiousity, care to enlighten that?

I didn't care about the characters, or Bras' death(s). If he's constantly dying, but coming right back as if it never happened then his death carries no weight. It's hard enough to care for deaths in a world (superhero comics) where nothing is permanent. It feels all that more pronounced and ridiculous in the context of a story that has no other superhero tropes. To be fair to Moon and Ba, I don't think there is a way to tell this story, at least in comics, that would work for me. †

I didn't care about the characters, or Bras' death(s). If he's constantly dying, but coming right back as if it never happened then his death carries no weight. It's hard enough to care for deaths in a world (superhero comics) where nothing is permanent. It feels all that more pronounced and ridiculous in the context of a story that has no other superhero tropes. To be fair to Moon and Ba, I don't think there is a way to tell this story, at least in comics, that would work for me. †
    What I found to be the case for me was that his death felt extremely sad to me, because I cared so much about the world around him. You know what could be, due to the way of storytelling, which makes it even more sad that he can never experience those things. Which is made even stronger by the last issue.

But I see where you're coming from. Some things just don't work for some people(I think I'm one of the only people who thinks Kingdom come is an average story)

But he isn't comming back. It's not a resurrection. Each story tells a different version of Bras' life. It's not a continous adventure, it's 10 stories written around a theme. Sometimes it seems like a continuation of a previous story, only ignoring the main character's death, but it's not clear and shouldn't be, because it doesn't matter if Bras is resurrected or every story is set in a paralell universe.
    Maybe it's all just a dream (based on issue 9 and 10, but maybe not).
    But if you don't like it, that's fine, I'm not trying to convince you, but for me, Ba and Moon succeeded on every level.
    Last edited by Balakin; 08-04-2014 at 02:04 PM.

I understand everything you're saying about the story, it just didn't work for me. I didn't mean to imply I thought he was actually being resurrected. When he's dead at the end of an issue and then alive at the beginning of the next repeatedly (whatever the reason), it loses it's power with me. Now, it could absolutely be said that I'm focusing on the wrong part of the story (his death vs his life), but again I've seen death undone in the same medium more times than I can remember and repeating it over and over in the span of a ten issue series just reinforces the idea that it's meaningless.

edit: I have no idea why my previous post has a crucifix at the end.

This book is definitely in my top 10 favourites of all time. Everyone should read it for sure.

I've read it and liked it.
    BB

I understand everything you're saying about the story, it just didn't work for me. I didn't mean to imply I thought he was actually being resurrected. When he's dead at the end of an issue and then alive at the beginning of the next repeatedly (whatever the reason), it loses it's power with me. Now, it could absolutely be said that I'm focusing on the wrong part of the story (his death vs his life), but again I've seen death undone in the same medium more times than I can remember and repeating it over and over in the span of a ten issue series just reinforces the idea that it's meaningless.

Those pesky superheroes ruined a true classic for you!
    I like the random crucifix but it's mysterious appearance is a bit spooky

I was already wondering what the hell that crucifix meant haha.

Yeah, it's one of the few books I've been able to give my wife to read and get a real investment from her in the story.

(Hilarious about that crucifix.)