Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    3,689

    Default What do we think of the accusations against Max Landis?

    So the Daily Beast has a story out about Landis' treatment of women over the years and it's not a pretty picture.

    https://www.thedailybeast.com/max-la...him?ref=scroll

    Given how popular American Alien is, I was wondering if this changes anyone perceptions of the story. This certainly doesn't shine a very good light on him as either a creator or a Superman fan.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  2. #2
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    3,914

    Default

    How is this a surprise? The guy has been a transparent douche since the day we saw him.

    That being said, American Alien was still a good book (crappy ending notwithstanding) and Landis' personality didn't really influence it.

  3. #3
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,181

    Default

    Hardly a surprise.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  4. #4
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,739

    Default

    I find this trend of reducing everyone to their worst traits sad.

    Landis' actions are indefensible, but they are separate from things like American Alien. If the story is enjoyable, then it is enjoyable regardless of who wrote it. Reading it neither condones nor condemns Landis in anyway but as an author.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Clark_Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smallville, KS
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So the Daily Beast has a story out about Landis' treatment of women over the years and it's not a pretty picture.

    https://www.thedailybeast.com/max-la...him?ref=scroll

    Given how popular American Alien is, I was wondering if this changes anyone perceptions of the story. This certainly doesn't shine a very good light on him as either a creator or a Superman fan.
    People honestly need to figure out how to separate the artist from their art.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

    Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

  6. #6
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Honestly Landis is talented enough to produce interesting works and some of his opinions about comic book trends are on the nose.

    If the accusations are true, well, I guess that he'll get what he deserves. I see no problem in separating what he wrote from what he is (should we identify every writer/artist with his/her deeds and expunge him/her, our literature books would probably be way thinner).

    As for Superman, well, what Landis did won't damage the character more than a Smallville star being actively involved in a sadistic cult.
    Last edited by Myskin; 06-19-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

    DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    People honestly need to figure out how to separate the artist from their art.
    I don't buy that. That is the kind of thinking that has kept some really nasty pieces of shit in the limelight over the years. By supporting an "artists" work you are supporting them, and if you support them you are supporting the things they do. It is a little different when things come out years latter about what a piece of garbage someone is and you have already seen and liked there work, but when you know a person is garbage and still support them then it reflects on you as a person.

  8. #8
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    I legitimately didn’t know who he was when I read American Alien. I like it and still do, but he’s a POS apparently and what little I’ve seen of him makes it unsurprising that he is. I think its unlikely American Alien will get reprinted again though. And I won’t be buying anything he does going forward.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member JackDaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I legitimately didn’t know who he was when I read American Alien. I like it and still do, but he’s a POS apparently and what little I’ve seen of him makes it unsurprising that he is. I think its unlikely American Alien will get reprinted again though. And I won’t be buying anything he does going forward.

    Still available via Comixology, and indeed currently included in big Superman sale, so personally I guess it will be reprinted at some point...and certainly Max Landis will be getting any royalties agreed on sales.

    From DC’s point of view..unless one of their writers has something proven against them in court, I think they are probably right to continue printing if sales demand is there. (Up to each potential customer to decide whether to buy..of course..personally I’ve never read it, and probably never will.)

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,311

    Default

    Landis sounds like a terrible person which is a shame because I do genuinely like American Alien. Itís unfortunate that the work is now tainted because of his actions. I do not expect Landis to continue to get work going forward and am not sad about that given how many people have come forward about his actions.

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,076

    Default

    Knowing a writer is a major major tool can reflect how I can enjoy a work as its always in the back of my head. Just in regards to the story though such toolery doesn't seem to reflect in the plot. All that said though I still can consume said work if I really enjoy it and don't think there's particularly anything wrong with it if that's the choice I make. Just the same as I wouldn't blame anyone for deciding that they don't want to consume it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  12. #12
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    6,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    By supporting an "artists" work you are supporting them, and if you support them you are supporting the things they do.
    I disagree with that statement even if I still respect your opinion on this. In my opinion though supporting an artist is not the same thing as supporting every stupid decisionthat artist makes or every vile and evil thing they may do. I'm not concerned with the inanimate art produced by the artist, in this case Max Landis, because it has no baring on things at all, unless American Alien shows woman being harassed by men or is itself a treatise on abusing woman. I think the only focus here needs to be on the person who is after all the one that did these vile things and who should therefore be the one punished for them.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

    Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

    Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

    When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Clark_Kent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smallville, KS
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I don't buy that. That is the kind of thinking that has kept some really nasty pieces of shit in the limelight over the years. By supporting an "artists" work you are supporting them, and if you support them you are supporting the things they do. It is a little different when things come out years latter about what a piece of garbage someone is and you have already seen and liked there work, but when you know a person is garbage and still support them then it reflects on you as a person.
    I used to think like you, but I guess I grew out of it & it can reflect on me however someone wishes to view it. Art & entertainment are 2 subjects I enjoy immensely and if I stopped enjoying things made by sketchy people then I'd quickly have nothing to enjoy. I recently bought a digital copy of The Usual Suspects, and I enjoy Spacey in it as much as I always have and Bryan Singer even directed it. I dig the hell out of Chronicle, should Michael B Jordan & the other actors/crew be punished royalties wise just because Max Landis is involved?

    I have to assume that you didn't go see Infinity War or Endgame, considering RDJ's pre-Iron Man life and the fact Josh Brolin used to beat up Diane Lane. Christian Bale verbally abuses production crew members, and was even caught on tape doing it, so the Nolan batfilms are out. Affleck's an alcoholic who cheated on his wife, so all of his stuff is out. Just about every film franchise any of us might enjoy has somebody attached who shouldn't be supported, but should everyone else suffer as well? Should you or I be deprived of entertainment just because someone attached is a scumbag? Nope.

    Look, I would never defend any of these people who have had proven acts of nastiness, but that doesn't mean I have to shield myself from something they made and I enjoyed. If you are unable to watch a movie with, say, Mel Gibson and just enjoy his performance without thinking of his religious/racial opinions, then that really sucks and I wish you were able to enjoy it. For me, though, actors/directors/writers/artists/musicians are there to entertain people, and I don't care about their personal lives because I don't know them and it's none of my business to be involved. Landis seemed like a sh!tty person before this story, and he seems like one after...doesn't really change anything for me. I guess if that reflects on me as a bad person or whatever, then that's fine. I'll just be over here enjoying Singer's X-2 and looking for a digital copy of American Beauty.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

    Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,579

    Default

    I mean, I still like how certain things about american, but I was always against the possible sequel since learning off how terrible of a human he is.

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,243

    Default

    I hope everyone involved in Landis' scandal get what they deserve. Whatever that happens to be, justice should be served.

    And none of that has any impact on my enjoyment of American Alien or Chronicle or anything else Landis has done that I've enjoyed.

    If we boycott a product because someone involved in it was a scumbag, well, we're going to end up boycotting everything, forever, because there's always going to be some d-bag in the mix somewhere. And what about all the other people who aren't scumbags? Why should they be punished just because their co-star or whoever was a pos?

    Speaking as a former graphic artist, I never wanted my work judged on anything except its own merits. Didn't matter if the client liked me as a person or couldn't stand to be in the same room as me, let my work speak for itself. Maybe I'm a saint, maybe I'm the anti-christ, but my work should never be judged on anything other than its own merit. I give other creators the same benefit.

    If that means some moron gets a royalty check, I honestly don't care. That doesn't mean I'm supporting them, it just means I live in a world with an economy.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-19-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •