Default Scrooge McDuck collected editions (all ages recommendations/fav SMcD reads)

Recently gotten into several all-ages books, vetting out what to read with my son and fell in love with Carl Barks' and Don Rosa's Scrooge McDuck runs. The mix of humor and adventure rivals many of the Marvel books on my shelf! The art is simply amazing with the storytelling so good stories could be used for a "how-to-make-comics" guidebook.

I will admit I never got into these reads when I was younger, thinking the characters would only be involved in sugary child-oriented stories, but I have been pleasantly surprised to have my assumptions be completely off base. The stories themselves are much like the Muppet Show - the straight forward story will appeal to children but there are many in-jokes only the parents will understand.

Unfortunately many of these stories are out-of-print.

Fortunately my public library services inter-library loans and Clark and I (I named my son Clark, as he was born in Kansas when we moved. ) have enjoyed LIFE AND TIMES OF SCROOGE MCDUCK and a handful of Barks' works.

The questions I wish to ask are:

1 - do you have any recommendations for all ages?

2 - Do you have any Scrooge McDuck story recommendations?

3 - Do you think these reads will see a reprint in the near future? Life & Times really needs to be on our family shelf.

Thank you

Also - you may already know this, but did you know Scrooge McDuck is voiced by Wilbur, the actor the starred opposite the horse on the TV Mr. Ed?

Spectacular Member

Fantagraphics are publishing complete hardcover sets of both Barks' and Rosa's Duck runs (both Scrooge and Donald). The books themselves are in chronological order, but being published out of order if that makes sense (just as a rough example, Barks Vol 7 may be released before Vol 3, then Vol 12 will be released next). The intent is to get the most well known stories republished first, but by the time the series ends you will have a bookshelf from Vol 1 to, say, 30 with every story in chronological order, even though the collections themselves weren't released in order. They're easily available from Amazon, comic stores and even book stores, and are fantastic quality.

Incredible Member

To add on just a bit to what Ivan said: as he indicated, Fantagraphics is reprinting all of Carl Barks' Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge work in a series of hardcover volumes, not in chronological order but rather with the most popular/"best" stories first, but they're planning to reprint everything eventually. So far there are five Donald Duck-centric volumes out, and one Uncle Scrooge-centric volume (with a second due to come out this fall).

In addition, Fantagraphics recently announced plans to reprint all of Don Rosa's DD/U$ work as well. Unlike the Barks volumes, these will be in chronological order. The first volume is either out or will be out soon. (Personally, I'm holding off and ordering a slipcase edition containing the first two volumes, which is due to be released in December.) I have to think they'll eventually get around to releasing The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, but that'll probably be last (since it was, I believe, among the last of Rosa's Duck work).
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 08-02-2014 at 08:58 AM.

William van Horn is pretty good too, his stuff needs to be collected next imo. A nice harcover Romano Scarpa ('The Italian Carl Barks') collection would be a delight. Many of his stories are long, comical adventures as well, hence the nickname. You can't go wrong with the Fantagraphics collections, they are comprehensive, hardbound and still widely available.

The Fantagraphics Carl Barks books are beautiful, quality hardcovers at an excellent price point. Marvel-Disney would charge you $70 each for a collection of this quality. Better collect them before Disney yanks the license and Marvel starts charging Marvel prices at low Marvel quality.

My kids love it when I read them these books! And I find them fun, too!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    In addition, Fantagraphics recently announced plans to reprint all of Don Rosa's DD/U$ work as well. Unlike the Barks volumes, these will be in chronological order. The first volume is either out or will be out soon. (Personally, I'm holding off and ordering a slipcase edition containing the first two volumes, which is due to be released in December.)
    So am I. Fanta won't get me a fourth time with their belated slipcased editions. Granted, we knew about this one beforehand, for a change, but I'm still sore at them.

Those Barks books are beautiful indeed, though.