Default X-men Grand Design - X-tinction #2

It reflects the exact situation the X-men franchise has been through in the late 80s and 90s.
    Chronology got so confuse with all the different teams and all different plots happening at the same time.
    And must be very difficult to summarize everything in this story.

But, I think Priskor did a good job.
    I really liked the time looping ideia in the end.

I really didn't enjoy any of this. I feel the writer went out his way to make certain characters less and the changes he made did reallly add anything. In fact some were confusing. Storm just came out of the Seige Perilous as a child. The alpha mutants comment. The phoenix/Jean thing. Just a lot of small things in every issue.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

I was wrong, I predicted that he would rectify his Day of Future Past but he pretty much kept none of the panels from that story. Telling it chronologically is inspired, I'll give him that

However I really like this issue, there was more personalities and he did what he did in the first issue, show us the world and the legal reactions to mutants. I like the prominence of the themes.

I think the last 5 pages lost me, almost negates it, it was bizarre to do alll of that and the outcome amounts to....a phone call to Scott Summers? No payoff. Visually, a wet blanket. A much bigger pay off wouldve been to end in the 90s in X-men#1, which he teases in the cover and with the costumes. Why fight for a better future if you cant see it the result. No brainer. And a crowd pleaser.
    Last edited by Graphicisnovel; 06-19-2019 at 01:09 PM.

When he was rewriting the 60's run, this thing kinda almost worked, but rewriting Lord Claremont's run, and using this scribbly style to redraw works by some of the greatest artists in the medium, just does not.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I was turned off when this rewrite did not include the 1.5 X-Men and so Xaviers darkest action and their Cyclops big change. Also that wad when weer knew how Moira and Xavier grew apart and who was the 3rd Summers and one of the X-verse got one of their most dangerous villains.

To me it was one of the biggest moments in history and it was not even mentioned.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Eh. I barely acknowledge Deadly Genesis either. I'd give Priskor a pass for ignoring that garbage, especially if the mandate was rewriting the canon from the 90's and before.

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

yeah sorry dude I don't even think about Deadly Genesis , original stories are usually more delicious untainted.

BTW speaking of, I also noticed he did what I said he would, he skipped Psylocke/Kwannon

Quote Originally Posted by four4elements View Post
    yeah sorry dude I don't even think about Deadly Genesis , original stories are usually more delicious untainted.

BTW speaking of, I also noticed he did what I said he would, he skipped Psylocke/Kwannon

Yeah, he made her Asian from jump, if you go by coloring. I didn't like how he skipped a lot of their costumes either(in Betsy's case he skipped her pink original in favor of her armored look, which she didn't get until the Outback era).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    When he was rewriting the 60's run, this thing kinda almost worked, but rewriting Lord Claremont's run, and using this scribbly style to redraw works by some of the greatest artists in the medium, just does not.
    It could never work past Giant Size because Claremont was the sole captain of the ship. After issue 2 it all feels like and illustrated Wikipedia article.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Agree 100%. The first issues were great. The latter ones were crap.

And Mutant X made a good point! Maybe it's a reflection of the situation the X-men franchise in the late 80s and 90s. As much as we love the crossovers (Mutant Massacre, Fall of Mutants, Inferno, X-Tinction Agenda etc) that period started the tropes of non-stop status quo changes and too much satellite books.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The first and second duology were pretty good. Mostly because Piskor can pull off the X-Men being in their own corner of the Marvel universe. I like how in the first era he integrates Namor vs. the Golden Age heroes into human's hatred of mutants. Lee's and Thomas' runs are handled well too.

For X-Tinction I love how he handled Carol's and Rogue's arcs: Carol is an irreplacable human ally until Rogue shows up. But after Rogue, a lot of stuff has to be glossed over such as the New Mutants existence. Cable also shows up for no reason even though part 1 starts off with a big deal about Nathan being born. X-Factor were basically X-Men USA while the others were in Australia. The ending of part 2 is setup for Bishop's and Rachel's appearances in the redone timeline but it feels like an extra headache.

I think for Psylocke he implies that there was no body swap by making her look the same before and after the Siege Perilous story.

Also RIP Shadow King and Legion.

7/10 tho.
    "Cable was right!"

The final issue of Ed Piskor's story is in and I think overall he nailed it. I really enjoyed seeing all the moments I remember re-imagined by him and seeing a greater narrative focus on the X-Men. Of course some of the costume choices are off and some of the events are switched around BUT I think it all works. I did a review I wanted to share. Curious to hear your thoughts.

My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    The final issue of Ed Piskor's story is in and I think overall he nailed it. I really enjoyed seeing all the moments I remember re-imagined by him and seeing a greater narrative focus on the X-Men. Of course some of the costume choices are off and some of the events are switched around BUT I think it all works. I did a review I wanted to share. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Wow, you're handsome! But that is totally besides the point.

Liked your review and like you, I did not like everything and might have made some different choices myself, but overall I support this and hope there will be more of it.

Jesse-James! You're going to make me blush. I am glad that I'm not alone in my overall thoughts about the series and choices Ed made. What do you think about the just announced two-issue Fantastic Four Grand Design? I'm intrigued...
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir