Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    Well it is an origin to Miller's DK verse Superman not canon version but we all know how DC could just as easily change that.
    Nope! This isn't becoming main canon superman's origin story. Period. Elseworld is fine. Let's just Leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    Well it is an origin to Miller's DK verse Superman not canon version but we all know how DC could just as easily change that.
    Nah it didn’t get good critical reception and while the sales were ok, they didn’t light up the charts either. If they had then yeah DC might have considered canonizing this story.

All in all, I liked the series but a fourth issue would have helped the pacing. The third issue came across as a little too crammed (it was almost like two books crammed into one). And there seemed to be too many loose ends (ie how and when did Clark and Diana first meet? What happened to Lori? etc) and the fact that it ends on an anti-climax raises more questions ... most notably: When will Year Two be coming out? Will Frank, John, Danny and Alex be returning for it? (I hope so)

Still, the distinct Miller tone is awesome. It's both operatic and flamboyant, a little scary and a little silly (like the characters themselves, and therefore appropriate) and the way he displays themes of heroism within the narrative and plot devices is at its usual testosterone-fuelled best.

And JRJR's visuals naturally match Miller's voice, as has been demonstrated before. When he nails it, he really nails it. And when these two artists come together it's pretty electric.

Nevertheless, it is an acquired taste. You pretty much either love it or hate it. I love it. Warts and all.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Finally finished this. Had to force myself to read it. I really hope this is the last origin story for, oh forever honestly.
    I could very well see DC doing a new in continuity one with the reboot next year

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I could very well see DC doing a new in continuity one with the reboot next year
    Rebirth has only been around for, what, four years now? And we still don't know what his origin is? Kinda dragging their feet on this.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Rebirth has only been around for, what, four years now? And we still don't know what his origin is? Kinda dragging their feet on this.
    Jurgens gave us an outline for it in Action. It’s the basic outline of Secret Origin except his parents died on his prom night and he never met the Legion. We know the broad strokes of the Triangle Era happened like Exile, Electric Blue, and Death/Reign.

Jurgens gave us an outline for it in Action. It’s the basic outline of Secret Origin except his parents died on his prom night and he never met the Legion. We know the broad strokes of the Triangle Era happened like Exile, Electric Blue, and Death/Reign.
    Yeah, although they excised Superboy from Reign but I wonder if he's intended to be back in canon for that story post-YJ.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't think removing the Legion from his history was part of the original plan. I think Johns wanted to go back to his origin and then Bendis got hired and now it's up in the air.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

And the Kents being dead has an in-universe reason anyway. A couple of them actually - Manhattan's tampering and/or Vyndyktv orchestrating their deaths. So essentially, we are back to the Pre-Flashpoint origin, and the one big deviation has been caused by tampering with the fabric of reality that might get undone by the end of Doomsday Clock.

Amazing Member

I’m totally confused -
    - Lois looking for Supes underwater? Uh why?
    - Why were the Atlantians wanting to blow up Supes and Lois? Supes and Lori are a couple at the end of book 2.
    - Lex was first introduced by coming out of the elevator correct? Supes first conversation with Lex starts with “youre a damned liar”. Do they know each other before this??

There are a lot of WTF moments in this issue. Issue 1 was good, 2 was ok, 3 is awful.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It would never happen especially now, but I would love this to be an official origin. A story having rough spots doesn't mean it can't serve as a foundation (Man of Steel 86 itself wasn't the best Byrne story at all imo) and for the millions of these we have, we might as well let one stand. I personally liked the more nuanced, "American" style approach to the golden age and all of the tweaks that take advantage of Clark growing up in a post 9/11 world.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    I’m totally confused -
    - Lois looking for Supes underwater? Uh why?

- Why were the Atlantians wanting to blow up Supes and Lois? Supes and Lori are a couple at the end of book 2.
    Probably the biggest thing Miller neglects is setting the time in captions or something. It's clear that the start of 3 isn't immediately after 2 (and that enough activity happened to lead to the discovery of Superman's existence off panel), but then we're up in the air between two arguably separate scenes with WW for example. And even though the beginning isn't as big a problem in that way, it still doesn't tell us about Lori or Poseidon. We're left to assume that either he could have kept his loyalists and continued to attack, or the relationship went sour for any one of a dozen reasons why a lasting relationship wouldn't work between them.

- Lex was first introduced by coming out of the elevator correct? Supes first conversation with Lex starts with “youre a damned liar”. Do they know each other before this??
    Superman recognizes Luthor as he steps out and immediately understands that the reported hostage crisis was a test. Although he still has to play the game and save the people, he tells Lex that he isn't a lackey.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It would never happen especially now, but I would love this to be an official origin. A story having rough spots doesn't mean it can't serve as a foundation (Man of Steel 86 itself wasn't the best Byrne story at all imo) and for the millions of these we have, we might as well let one stand. I personally liked the more nuanced, "American" style approach to the golden age and all of the tweaks that take advantage of Clark growing up in a post 9/11 world.
    Agreed. As you said, it wouldn't happen. But it's not like it couldn't work.

I think one of the best things about Year One is sheer amount of imagination Miller allows to run wild. Most of the best Superman stories IMO are the most imaginative

This as official origin. Are people out of their mind. This at best is above average. If this guy becomes the main superman. It will be an insult to siegel and shuster's superman. Last issue basically foreshadowed the government stooge of Darknight returns. Which is against everything superman stands for. Superman works for no government or bureaucrat. Period.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-28-2019 at 11:58 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That DKR connection is just solicit information. There really wouldn't be a claimed correlation if it was just about the story, because standing up to Luthor and flying off to fight Brainiac isn't "foreshadowing a government stooge." From accounts Siegel wasn't the type to harass others about how to do his character. Jerry and Joe served and had Superman serve the servicemen as a dedicated segment, not to mention have him fight uncomfortable stereotypes of the axis, and Miller is nothing if not a student of their craft.

All an origin needs to be a good origin is a solid checklist hit. Too bad not so many dig the story though

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That DKR connection is just solicit information. There really wouldn't be a claimed correlation if it was just about the story, because standing up to Luthor and flying off to fight Brainiac isn't "foreshadowing a government stooge." From accounts Siegel wasn't the type to harass others about how to do his character. Jerry and Joe served and had Superman serve the servicemen as a dedicated segment, not to mention have him fight uncomfortable stereotypes of the axis, and Miller is nothing if not a student of their craft.

All an origin needs to be a good origin is a solid checklist hit. Too bad not so many dig the story though
    That isn't the same as working for the government. There is a big difference. Superman can ally with different forces for good. But, he will never be subservient to them. This guy basically bellied over and just gave himself up lex without any struggle. He never once attempted an investigation . No, version of the character including post crisis guy has ever done that. It is the antithesis of his nature. I am sorry, To make a character go against his nature. There needs to be a more concrete reason . He would have never figured out lex hadn't for Wonder woman. He would be too busy having a stupid contest the bat.
    I will take everything until he met lex. If this does get canon . Rest is garbage. I will make head canon. Where clark secretly investigates and learns the truth. Then i will plugin dcau. "you will never control me, luthor!Never!!!"