Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

With all due respect, if they weren't overstated this would be getting a lot more attention than it is. Batman showing frontal, silhouette nudity generated more of a controversy than this book. That pulled Joker/Batgirl cover a few years back generated more outrage. I respect that you personally have big issue with it, but with the general masses it just hasn't been that big a deal. Reviews mentioning the attempted assault scene isn't indicative of controversy. Its a key scene in the issue, of course its going to get mentioned and critiqued. But I've yet to see a review of the book suggest the book need be banned or should have never seen publication because of a scene he or she might not have been a big fan of. Likewise I've also seen reviews that have had no problem with the scene altogether as it is.

If other writers in the industry happen to think its bad, that's fine. I have no trouble believing that much, I'm sure its quite common for creators to not care for another creator's take. That's not quite the same thing as feeling it shouldn't have been published. I stand by if there's any creators out there stewing over it to that degree, then they're being juvenile. As for the book essentially being relegated to the DKRverse, and evidence of disowning, that really makes no sense at all. It was originally marketed as a Black Label, out-of-continuity project. Miller later connected it to the DKRverse, another alternate reality. Either way it was always going to be an out-of-continutiy project so what other-continuity it was attached to if any makes absolutely no difference. This is not evidence of anything murky.

Finally this doesn't undermine anyone else's work on the main titles. It never has. Fans are aware of the difference, and creators are aware of the difference. During the 90s, Elseworlds Superman books were a dime a dozen. Did that undermine the triangle era for the main books? Not at all. Its the same thing here. There is nothing particularly unique about Miller's book that changes the rules here. I have no issue with anyone thinking the quality is bad. I have no issue with anyone thinking Miller isn't a good writer. Anymore or ever. But I think you're amping things up to a degree of offense that just is not realistically there because of those negative opinions. Which again on a personal level is fine. Everyone has writers they don't care for, be it with specific characters or just altogether. But its not indicative of any panic DC needs to be in, or any offense Bendis needs to be in, for the project simply existing.

Btw, I hope none of this comes across as attacking you personally. We just disagree on this instance. I greatly enjoy your thoughts and having discussions with you.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-23-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El