Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Panels from YO #2:

"Clark Kent ventures to Atlantis in SUPERMAN: YEAR ONE #2! "

So cool!

Can't wait to see Clark's interaction and romance with Lori ... that heat vision battle looks pretty boss too

Apparently Superman: Year One will suffer the same fate as DKSA. Become the most hated comic in character history.

"Lee mentioned DC Black Label's Batman: Damned, which drew big applause, and Superman: Year One, which did not. Lee joked that fans could save their applause for the end."

So no one applauded when Superman: Year One was mentioned? This proves once again that letting Miller write a comic about Superman was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh God, a modern Romita Jr. sex scene? That’s going to be horrifying.

Also I’m very conflicted about Supes taking on the Joker. On one hand, yeah I hate the Joker’s overuse and I don’t like that Miller couldn’t be bothered to use one of Supes’ other Rogues. But on the other hand if Supes puts up a good show against the Joker I’ll be happy, ever since Injustice people have been staying that Joker can easily beat Superman because Supes is stupid. Obviously Supes has traditionally easily beaten the Joker (another wonderful little “mishandling” of Supes Injustice gave us), so maybe seeing him beat the Joker in his first year will get it into people’s heads that Supes is not the idiot he’s been portrayed as in other stories.

Of course it could also end with Clark being a totoal moron and getting trounced by the Joker, in which case I’ll just totally disregard this story like pretty much everyone else already has. I don’t think there’s any chance this gets brought into canon, so Miller can do whatever he wants, at this point I doubt anyone is going to really view his Superman as anywhere close to an authoritative take on Supes these days.
    The Landis/Jock Joker story in Adventures of Superman handles it very well. Joker isn’t even a real threat to him in that story. Let alone one that needs WW and Batman to help defeat. And he really shouldn’t be in any take on it. Though I’m sure that won’t get reprinted or referenced again given everything he’s now been accused of.

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    "Lee mentioned DC Black Label's Batman: Damned, which drew big applause, and Superman: Year One, which did not. Lee joked that fans could save their applause for the end."

So no one applauded when Superman: Year One was mentioned? This proves once again that letting Miller write a comic about Superman was a mistake.
    No it doesn't. The book so far is selling well. Its funny, but at the end of the day sales trump a lukewarm convention reception.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Finally got to read this and... me likely. He better get the Naval stuff right (How's he going to pass the physical and get the dreaded ass shot?).

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That's reading far to much into Miller. What's likely going to happen is this. He's going to fall in love with Lois but won't be able to be with her because he's Superman. This will be presented as him making some comment on how fragile she is or humans are, but basically will mean Miller doesn't think he can sleep with her because she's human. Wonder Woman will be impressed by him because he's a big alpha male in their fight with Batman. And since he can have sex with Wonder Woman because she's a superhero, Miller will have him have sex with Wonder Woman. If you're looking for anything deeper than that, I think you're going to be disappointed.

By the way, the solicit for #3 just dropped and the climatic battle is against... The Joker. Nothing like a Superman origin that has him battling his arch enemy, the Joker. And needing Batman and Wonder Woman's help to do it.
    He slept with Lana before leaving for the Military so that's a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    He slept with Lana before leaving for the Military so that's a stretch.
    I guess that is implied by the “afterglow” caption. I’d still Wager on my summary being in the ballpark of the plot.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    If Batman comes at Superman with aggression as he has several times in the past then Superman can and should put him in his place. The Batman writers and the Batman fans do not have this hang up about the conflict between these characters the Superman fans and writers have and they've take complete advantage of that. It does Superman no good whatsoever to be hesitant about acknowledging the simple fact that The World Finest went up in smoke with COIE. They've since then taken every advantage possible to push themselves up at the expense of the Superman franchise and to sit here and lean further into the Super-Jesus angle is naive. Superman is not Jesus and hes not here to stand around and be a martyr for someone else to make a realization about the error of their ways.

There is no good message to send to anyone to have someone sit around and let them knock the crap out of you while trying to show that you're taking a higher path. Bruce is little more than the exact same corrupt billionaires Superman use to knock around back in the day and if he does come at Superman with hostility then it's perfectly appropriate that Superman give him the same and then some. No Superman from 1938 to 1987 would have ever considered being a doormat to Batman or any other hero and wouldn't have expected anyone to be one for him.
    I think what Miller and Romita are implying is a different pov on a DKR type situation as Superman is the good guy of this story.

Superman intentionally not striking back is part of his character. He's usually depicted as willing to be the bigger man, with or without his advantages. With them though I think it serves as what people complain about with the football thing: he's a roadroller thrashing about in a world of grapes.

In particular to what you say about not tolerating aggression here's the golden age

And the silver age, where he's depowered and doesn't defeat Batman when he has the chance

In modern stories the three ideas seem to be the "brainwashed" fight, the first encounter where Superman is aggressive, and the hesistant friends fight. This sounds like the middle. Disappointed that the Joker will show up, as if his three million other appearances in October aren't enough. For all the detractors I did like Landis' attempt at the final word on Superman vs Joker.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    You might if you were the QB and your job was to throw a pass with the right timing, placement, and pace to make it so that these little kids could catch passes in space.

Anyway, this reminds me of that ridiculous scene in Lois & Clark when Clark Kent randomly came across Bo Jackson and got destroyed in 1-on-1 basketball. Now, football isn't basketball, but my main point is that if Clark was interested in the specific skill elements of the game, he could be challenged or be interested in those aspects. And all of this ignores the fact that he might just enjoy the social atmosphere of playing with a team and performing in front of a crowd of his peers and neighbors.

He also openly used his powers in front of Jackson blowing his SI. So unless Bo Jackson is really good at keeping secrets, that seems like a dumb idea.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    No it doesn't. The book so far is selling well. Its funny, but at the end of the day sales trump a lukewarm convention reception.
    True that.

That's the thing with artists like FM and JRJR and any other artist(s) who swims against the mainstream ... they often draw mixed reactions, controversy, etc ... but they also grow significant fanbases who comprehend and appreciate what they're doing

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    He also openly used his powers in front of Jackson blowing his SI. So unless Bo Jackson is really good at keeping secrets, that seems like a dumb idea.
    Bro, you can ALWAYS trust Bo Jackson!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Bro, you can ALWAYS trust Bo Jackson!

bo knows.jpg

Bo Knows!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The fact that DC allowed Miller to write comics about Superman is considered by most to be a mistake, and apparently only fans of superwonder consider the comics to be good. I read reviews on different sites and forums in different languages ​​and in all it is written that the comic book is terrible. This comic is not even in the Top 10 best comics. Although DC, this comic book was actively advertised. And the comic book got a low rating from critics and users. And had a worse rating than the rest of the DC comics released the same day. Even on Twitter, almost everyone called this comic the worst. Even the fact that the SDCC comic book was ignored will confirm this. No matter how you deny it, tthat most people think that letting Miller write comics with a DC mistake is a fact.