Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
Exactly.

Miller makes people nervous. I get that. Fact I love he does that. Miller is one of the few writers we have left that is unapologetic and isn't going to jump every time the politically correct scream at him to be that way. Like him or hate him, that is how a creator should be. You write yr vision. People can be free to like to dislike. But for them to make this wild exaggerations is baffling to me. I am not an American and I come from a country where we had colonization and in no way did I feel Clark wanted to sign up to go show the savages the american way is the best way kind of a thing. All countries have military in today's world. People join up for so many reasons and some have good intentions and we know Clark is not going to stay in the forces but it will no doubt teach him the way the machinery and world works. An important aspect for Superman to understand. Because he and the League do do some policing of the world themselves eventually. This as you say does feel in line with his roots. And all these exaggerated complaints speaks of another agenda going on or a determination just to be negative everything Miller writes. Some things in this we have seen sure because it is an origin story but there are some real interesting ideas in this and being Black Label means Miller is in no way obliged to tread the same ground. Canon is still there for those who want a stereotypical farming childhood that is generally a saccharin blur then jump to Metropolis. This delves a little deeper in Clark's psyche.
I agree.
I'd also say that I really can't get into the specific criticism against military forces in a superhero book mostly for one reason: almost every major DC superhero is somehow related to a military background (and EVERY Marvel hero is, especially in their most internationally beloved incarnation, that is the Avengers movies). Superman has waved the American flag more than every other superhero for God's sake. Sometimes it goes wrong (Superman 27-28 by Tomasi could be one of the most horrifyingly grandiloquent Superman stories I've ever read) and sometimes they get it right. Miller got it right IMHO. It's not about the American country, or even the army as a patriotic institution. It's mostly about the experience, the self-discovery or even the purely physical experience as far as I can see. I was not born in the US and I am a convinced pacifist, but I am not blind to the human experience Miller is trying to tell. I see his point. This is basically a James Cameron Superman.