Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Superman Year One actually came in at #11. The two books that came before it were Batman #72 and #73. Here's the link.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    The fact that DC allowed Miller to write comics about Superman is considered by most to be a mistake, and apparently only fans of superwonder consider the comics to be good. I read reviews on different sites and forums in different languages ​​and in all it is written that the comic book is terrible. This comic is not even in the Top 10 best comics. Although DC, this comic book was actively advertised. And the comic book got a low rating from critics and users. And had a worse rating than the rest of the DC comics released the same day. Even on Twitter, almost everyone called this comic the worst. Even the fact that the SDCC comic book was ignored will confirm this. No matter how you deny it, tthat most people think that letting Miller write comics with a DC mistake is a fact.
    A few people online stating its a mistake does not equate to it being considered "by most to be a mistake". Taking an opinion shared by a few in the particular echo chamber you choose to throw your hat in doesn't change that its still an opinion. You're not stating facts.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 08-19-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

It's not like it was a well received book outside of a few very specific corners of the fandom either. Critically it was definitely badly rated. The critical review score on Comic Book Roundup is as bad as Heroes in Crisis. And even the "good" reviews generally were pretty critical of it. The first issue sold well, generally, but not as well as the Batman Black Label books or even the last issue of DKIII. Sold on par with Action Comics 1001 or Man of Steel 1, which people try to say was a sales failure (I don't agree with that either). So I don't think it was a sales failure, necessarily. But it wasn't a smashing success either.

I loathe it and have criticized it on many levels completely independent from any preferences I have for how Superman's love life should be handled. I thought this issue was a mess for Lana and Clark's treatment and was basically disgusted with Miller's glib hanging of sexual assualt. I don't know why I expected better, but naively I did. I think it was poorly written and just an all over terrible book. I'm pretty sure I'll dislike each successive issue more. Fortunately, I only have the next one left in my pull. Maybe the third issue won't be a as terrible as I expect it to be, but I doubt it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah I mean if we're talking consensus, a fact of an opinion isn't really assertive.

Miller and Romita are well known names, but that actually goes to the point that some won't actually buy them unless others compel them. Thankfully the reviews have been honest... but I say thanks as a customer, whereas it doesn't help the product.

Anyway, with that awkward Smallville chapter done I'm intrigued again. Ace sniper Clark is an idea I find myself loving.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It's not like it was a well received book outside of a few very specific corners of the fandom either. Critically it was definitely badly rated. The critical review score on Comic Book Roundup is as bad as Heroes in Crisis. And even the "good" reviews generally were pretty critical of it. The first issue sold well, generally, but not as well as the Batman Black Label books or even the last issue of DKIII. Sold on par with Action Comics 1001 or Man of Steel 1, which people try to say was a sales failure (I don't agree with that either). So I don't think it was a sales failure, necessarily. But it wasn't a smashing success either. I loathe it and have criticized it on many levels completely independent from any preferences I have for how Superman's love life should be handled. I thought this issue was a mess for Lana and Clark's treatment and was basically disgusted with Miller's glib hanging of sexual assualt. I don't know why I expected better, but naively I did. I think it was poorly written and just an all over terrible book. I'm pretty sure I'll dislike each successive issue more. Fortunately, I only have the next one left in my pull. Maybe the third issue won't be a as terrible as I expect it to be, but I doubt it.
    It has more good critic reviews on Comic Book Roundup than bad. 12 green reviews, 8 yellows and 8 reds. The reception is mixed from fans & critics.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Superman Year One actually came in at #11. The two books that came before it were Batman #72 and #73. Here's the link.
    And third in revenue dollars, as it sold for a premium price of $7.99.

I have no desire to read the book, and even less to buy it. While it seems the determining factor for people to post about this book on CBR is whether or not you like Superman/Wonder Woman, it seems that for every two critics who thought it was the worst thing ever, there were three who were pretty pleased by it. It's a polarizing book to say the least. There are more scores on the extreme ends than in the middle.

EDIT: So its Comic Book Roundup Score is similar to ASB&R. Uh oh...
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 08-19-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Parker View Post
    It has more good critic reviews on Comic Book Roundup than bad. 12 green reviews, 8 yellows and 8 reds. The reception is mixed from fans & critics.
    Yeah, and all it averages out to a 6.4. That's a D or F average. Again, I'm not denying it got some good reviews. But for a AAA title from a major publisher, basically arms of DC's PR machine, reviews were uncharacteristically brutal. Newsarama, IGN, even CBR all were really critical of it. It's rated on par with Heroes in Crisis.
    Last edited by Yoda; 08-19-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yeah, and all it averages out to a 6.4. That's a D or F average.
    Aggregators don't use school grading scales. They usually set an average movie to a 5 or 6, electing more toward something along the lines of a 5-star scale (5 excellent, 4 good, 3 average, 2 poor, 1 Superman IV quality).

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Aggregators don't use school grading scales. They usually set an average movie to a 5 or 6, electing more toward something along the lines of a 5-star scale (5 excellent, 4 good, 3 average, 2 poor, 1 Superman IV quality).
    I mean, it's sitting at 64%. The scale is 1-10. I guess if 50% is "average" it's "above average" in that sense.

All-New Member

Reviewers who gave issue 1 glowing reviews have given issue 2 very negative reviews.

Mighty Member

Welp, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Frank Miller sucks at writing women. Geez, how'd this Islamaphobic, sexist nonsense make it past editorial?
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

so what bad thing happened this time?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    so what bad thing happened this time?
    Things plural. It basically doubled (or tripled) down on the all problems last issue, plus it throws in a scene of Clark and his Navy buddies taking down some Islamic pirates, which, given Frank Miller's history, you can pretty much guess how that goes.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Just read the second issue. I really liked it. It was a unique Superman story, the likes of which I hadn't seen before. I like what Miller is doing here. It's a different story, but it still feels like a Superman story.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Issue 2 was better than the first.

Completely different trajectory. It read exactly like a Greek myth, from the motives to the structure, this was the making of a legend through and through. And so many things to like here. Clark's unwillingness to take a life being the only time he felt uneasy. Him putting on the suit. His relaxed and cool demeanor. His desire - that bordelines to need - for adventure. His superior in the seals is a character I really liked too.

Anyway. I liked the issue. I know it's not perfect or groundbreaking but it's so solid and packed with good narration and heart.