Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I thought it was pretty good, the strange narration aside. But even that I got used to.

The Lana thing is way overblown. Yeah it was a serious crime attempt, but bad people can do seriously bad things. And those guys were messed up. People tried to commit a crime, and Clark stopped them. Its the story of his life. This is what he does, and sometimes people he cares about can be the attempted target, just like anyone else can potentially be a victim of anything.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    So this is how it all started?

Well, Frank Miller can do anything if he shows a certain relationship. Poor wonder woman fans.
    First of all this book is NOT about Superman/Wonder Woman.

Dragging in smww into a Year One book review shows where your grouse is at.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I thought it was pretty good, the strange narration aside. But even that I got used to.

The Lana thing is way overblown. Yeah it was a serious crime attempt, but bad people can do seriously bad things. And those guys were messed up. People tried to commit a crime, and Clark stopped them. Its the story of his life. This is what he does, and sometimes people he cares about can be the attempted target, just like anyone else can potentially be a victim of anything.
    Of course it is overblown.

How many times we have seen females get cornered and the threat of something about to go down and they get rescued. Hell even by FEMALE heroes rescue the victims. It is such a standard troupe...I get if people complain is a cliched one but to come sing oh Miller is writing gang rapes...jeeze. Women and men can be victim of anything. Hollywood is riddled with supposedly strong intelligent women (and men and children) becoming victims. Girls get attacked on campuses...places they should be safe! Good grief , bad things can happen to any of us. It is the context and yes even someone Clark loves can be at risk.

OH btw the narration...the different pov at times...it seemed weird a bit but then it work. I really like baby Clark has some telepathic abilities on some level. Thinking back to later volumes in the DK verse ...Clark often was communicated to without speaking. I used to assume was a comlink but seems he can hear thoughts???
    Last edited by hellacre; 06-19-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Yep. It was way overblown. People seem to get worked up over everything these days.

I also think there's a little meta commentary about bullies, and the next stage of their antics if left unchecked can lead to some serious crimes. This is a real issue that happens. It's no different from crimes like assault, which happens so frequently. So why people get jumpy with this astounds me.

I've also seen criticism of the way he asks her out like he's strongarming her with his powers. Jesus jumped up. He asks her out. She wants to know more about him and he basically says "if you want to know more about me will you go on a date with me?", which is pretty much the entire concept of going on a date: getting to know someone you're interested in. She was interested in him, he's interested in her, he asks her out and she agrees. I don't want to live in a society where a cute exchange of two teens falling for one another can actually be painted as somehow predatory.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I've also seen criticism of the way he asks her out like he's strongarming her with his powers. Jesus jumped up. He asks her out. She wants to know more about him and he basically says "if you want to know more about me will you go on a date with me?", which is pretty much the entire concept of going on a date: getting to know someone you're interested in. She was interested in him, he's interested in her, he asks her out and she agrees. I don't want to live in a society where a cute exchange of two teens falling for one another can actually be painted as somehow predatory.

.There is so much reaching in some of these reviews I have seen. It seems a bizarre agenda to get people to attack Miller for some odd reasons. If Clark can on some level sense feelings or thoughts...look the guy can hear yr heart beat, he can see perspiration on yr lip, he can know if someone is afraid or excited around him even without extra sensory powers...how does that even make him a bad person? So many fictional characters have this kind of thing going etc...I don't see these outlandish attacks on them. He likes Lana. She likes him. They fall in love. She isn't afraid. He trusts her. The guy was not mind controlling anything or anyone to date him.

Yeah, hate to say admit it, but we're living in an over sensitive world now. The general public can and will criticise anything they see as harmful towards women. Not to say there's anything wrong with feminism and women equality and the likes, I support it completely. But when you see an outrage over every single little thing, it gets a bit tiring.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I liked most of it, good art too. But Miller needs a co-writer to help him with the narration.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-19-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'll have to wait until much later to finish reading. Originally I thought up a big rant on the failings of Marvel method coupled with probably the most awkward dialogue I can remember (toolsters and peckerwoods? Really?) but the most significant thing for me is gratitude that this discussion is mostly positive and civil. I'm glad people like it, and it was the nicest surprise to see the magazine size when I got to the store. I think I may like it more upon a finish and re read.

Oh and it's completely silly how overblown that scene with Lana seems to be. I flipped through and the content is TV 14 at best.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

And even TV 14 is being generous. It was tame, and Superman stops all types of crimes. He'll warn a jaywalker for his own protection but yes, he does, always has, and always should be portrayed as stopping more serious crimes. In this case attempted assault on women. There's nothing out of bounds in portraying that as long as its not too graphic for a book younger people will conceivably consume (not even considering this line is specifically more mature in the first place, but I'd be fine with this in any line). This wasn't. They didn't get to do a thing before Clark literally tossed them into a battered pile.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-19-2019 at 12:33 PM.

It was as bad as the previews made it out to be. I didn’t like the Kents at all. The way he treats Martha is horrendous. All cardboard women who aren’t characters really. Cheesy to just terrible dialogue. The army thing remains dumb and likely to get dumber. The Lana scene isn’t graphic, but it has no place in this story. It’s 2019, attempted rape used only to get a love interest is like some d-list narrative trope on its best day. It’s just a stupid plot point, grossly out of date, and doesn’t belong. Of course Miller is a “genius” so it’ll be defended. But it was terrible characterization and exploitive. Hilarious how with certain other characters a necessary rescue is just a horrible plot point and the character is weak and “lame” for needing it, but here it’s beautiful and genius and daring.

The art was pretty though. About all it had going for it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It was as bad as the previews made it out to be. I didn’t like the Kents at all. The way he treats Martha is horrendous. All cardboard women who aren’t characters really. Cheesy to just terrible dialogue. The army thing remains dumb and likely to get dumber. The Lana scene isn’t graphic, but it has no place in this story. It’s 2019, attempted rape used only to get a love interest is like some d-list narrative trope on its best day. It’s just a stupid plot point, grossly out of date, and doesn’t belong. Of course Miller is a “genius” so it’ll be defended. But it was terrible characterization and exploitive. Hilarious how with certain other characters a necessary rescue is just a horrible plot point and the character is weak and “lame” for needing it, but here it’s beautiful and genius and daring.

The art was pretty though. About all it had going for it.
    LOL. It’s almost as if Lana Lang poses no real threat to either the traditional gender roles people prefer nor does she threaten the agenda of a certain other ship. ::cough:: So when she needs rescue it’s “beautiful” and “understandable” but when a certain other woman gets it —a woman far more threatening—-she’s insulted and belittled by the same fandom.

It’s almost as if....certain segments of the fandom will excuse anything and defend anything no matter how ridiculously out of character so long as it lessens the importance of a certain other female character, puts her “in her place” and, ultimately, either ends with her dead or tossed aside. Almost, right?

Nah. That’s crazy talk.

I agree with your review. The book is trash.

Never said it was beautiful genius or daring. Just that there was nothing wrong with it. I just don't get the argument that it doesn't belong. This is Superman. He fights crime and fights bad guys. Any crime and any bad guy. He can do that just as well in an origin tale before he actually becomes Superman just as much as he can when he's actually Superman in Metropolis. That it doesn't belong rings more as just taking a preference for not wanting to see a certain thing, and trying to make it more than that in that its actually unacceptable. And it wasn't used just to get Lana to like him. They was clearly a mutual interest before-hand if only from afar. If its anything its just the common boy saves girl trope. But that's the worst it is, common. Beyond that, someone wanting to sexually assault a woman isn't pretty. No more than murder is pretty. Superman stops attempted murders all the time. I don't see what's out of bounds of him stopping sexual assault. I just can't entertain the idea it has no place in a Superman story. Superman was beating up ******* men who treat women like dirt right out of the box. I don't care if its 1938 or 2019, that relevance is not gone. I wish it was, but its not.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-19-2019 at 02:26 PM.

It was something...but I’m willing to see were this goes. Also those bullies are future trouble makers. Like seriously were they really going to rape Lana? And Clark being a soldier might actually be really interesting. Did Miller ever say if he was going to use any of Supes villains?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Did Miller ever say if he was going to use any of Supes villains?
    No, he didn't say anything about that. But I bet there will be at least Lex Luthor when Clark comes to Metropolis in Year One #3.