Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

As a whole, Year One hit the usual basics of Superman’s origin. A little too on the nose with some things, some things taken way out of proportion, some things I would’ve reduced or cut out completely. However, Superman/Clark/Kal-El was written as he should. By no means was it perfect but it set a base. There were good ideas there...execution was off on parts. The main thing is that Superman had confidence, swagger, and embraced his heritage. He loves his powers but it’s not that he thinks he is better or sees himself as a God. We got space “Moses” instead of space “Jesus”. Clark Kent was the “mask” to blend in, not fit in. He does have his own ties to humanity, growing up in Smallville, friends, and people he has come across etc. etc...but he sees the world in a unique “alien” perspective. The good, the bad and the ugly.

It kind of reminds me of “The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.” anime. Born with all manner of psychic abilities, Saiki faces all kinds of hardships and tries to avoid attention as much as possible. Not surprised if this premise is inspired by Superman. The main character even wears glasses. However the difference is, the series is not afraid to delve into the insanity of being extraordinary while living in an ordinary world and delving into some controversy that the character should face as well as the main character himself having missteps with some of his thoughts and actions. All to often the idea of what makes a character human or what being human means is misconstrued. Superman needs a few fires lit.

He wasn’t the government stooge everyone thought which is directly pointed out. He was put on the spot by Lex during a live open press conference whatever. But he figured it out and just played along just barely.

The Wonder Woman rebirth suit is totally throwing this off to be DK Universe, however maybe the suit is now universal. Who knows....

It seemed that parts of this meeting was missing. Quite possibly there was probably a last minute “let’s do massive hint droppings” to solidify the fact that this is set in DK universe as well as hurry to set up the next phase “Year Two”.

Diana is written far better than All-Star. Possible Azzarello influence from DKIII? Stopping Clark and Bruce from fighting was good. Nothing radical only reacting to Lex as she should have. Lex was the one talking about Diana needing to be tamed while wanting to control Clark. He is the one portrayed as the xenophobic, sexist, misogynistic a-hole. There is no indication of Diana herself wanting to be “tamed”.
    The melodramatic scene again comes down to rushing to solidify this is DK Superman. The forehead kiss is cute solely by the actual meaning it pertains in general.

Romita art was okay overall. Some really good scenes, some rushed, some needed to be cut down, unnecessary splash pages. Given that this was 3 issues, there should’ve been more planning and organizing how to fit all of this in better.

Miller seems to be trying to course correct and do his own revisions that make sense to his own verse sense it’s expanding. There’s no need to rush and would also like to have Diana’s POV. Looking forward to “Golden Child” seeing what else might be changed in perspective and/or given more depth.

Also big ups to Superman not getting punked by Batman. It only confirms everything before was written with Batman’s POV but no matter who’s POV it is, Miller’s Batman is still a psychopath.
    Last edited by LoveStar; 10-18-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Frank Miller and Romita Jr. did a great job portraying Superman as he really should be! Not the government dog, not somebody little poodle, not as a simplistic country boy.
    And I can wait for a Superman Year 2 and a Year 3 and, yes, now more than ever we need a Wonder Woman Year One with Frank and maybe Azzarello . WW needs to be portrayed in a dignified and correct manner! DC needs to redeem itself for the stupidity and murder they did with the character in Rebirth.

Frank Miller gave Diana such importance that since long (since the beginning of rebirth) she had not! She is the sensible, she is the balance, she is the wise, practically she has consolidated the basis of their fight for justice! It can be said that in just 3 pages she became the most important person for Clark! The image of both side by side with their respective symbols highlighted is the image of DC, the image of what the heroes of DC represent, of their greatest icons, of the ultimate in heroism, justice, truth and love. Miller understands their
    natural union and tells a great truth when he states that a piece of Clark is in Diana and a piece of Clark is in her (this is quite implied). This is a true and natural love story, you do not need pages and pages to explain it.
    Last edited by Deiasilva10; 10-18-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Those panels of Wonder Woman make her look like a naive teen infatuated with her movie idol and willing to do anything just to kiss him. I can't imagine WW fans feeling fine with this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deiasilva10 View Post
    Frank Miller and Romita Jr. did a great job portraying Superman as he really should be! Not the government dog, not somebody little poodle, not as a simplistic country boy.
    And I can wait for a Superman Year 2 and a Year 3 and, yes, now more than ever we need a Wonder Woman Year One with Frank and maybe Azzarello . WW needs to be portrayed in a dignified and correct manner! DC needs to redeem itself for the stupidity and murder they did with the character in Rebirth.

Frank Miller gave Diana such importance that since long (since the beginning of rebirth) she had not! She is the sensible, she is the balance, she is the wise, practically she has consolidated the basis of their fight for justice! It can be said that in just 3 pages she became the most important person for Clark! The image of both side by side with their respective symbols highlighted is the image of DC, the image of what the heroes of DC represent, of their greatest icons, of the ultimate in heroism, justice, truth and love. Miller understands their
    natural union and tells a great truth when he states that a piece of Clark is in Diana and a piece of Clark is in her (this is quite implied). This is a true and natural love story, you do not need pages and pages to explain it.
    Yes, when I think of Frank Miller’s treatment of Wonder Woman or any woman really “dignified and correct manner” are absolutely the words that come to mind. ��

The third time Miller's comic got lower ratings than the others DC's comics coming out the same week as Superman: Year One.
    Letting Miller write Superman comics was the worst idea ever. Miller did not convince that he love Superman, but only confirmed that he hated Clark. Miller turned Superman from a faithful man into a womanizer who cheats on his girlfriend. Miller does not understand Superman, Wonder Woman and neither Batman. Very bad, Miller writes women. Especially Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Deiasilva10 View Post

I really liked the fact that, here, Diana was essentially the creator of the Trinity.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    I really liked the fact that, here, Diana was essentially the creator of the Trinity.
    On the other hand, it came straight out of nowhere. I mean, was Wonder Woman even mentioned any time before her arm showed up? I think Cooke handled the same dynamic—Batman and Superman fighting, and Wonder Woman mediating—in New Frontier.

Miller clearly still has some of his old brilliance: Lex Luthor's internal narration when confronted with Wonder Woman and his reaction to the lasso are excellent example. This also skipped the forced edginess that haunted ASBAR. But his deficiencies as a writer—the inability to write woman, sometimes unclear narration, the reliance on violence over other forms of action—are also much more apparent now.

In a way, it's interesting to compare this to Superman Smashes the Klan. Despite that story being set back in 1946 using an old plot and consciously giving a Golden Age vibe, the Superman and the narrative there felt far more relevant for today's world.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    There’s nothing at all to indicate any sort of time skip. It’s the next scene, same night.
    Admittely, I skimmed this and was trying to assume the writing wasn't THAT bad, that's even worse though ha ha.

Probably the worst issue of the 3, it felt so rushed and disjointed. The art was pretty. Miller proves again he can no longer write Batman, at least not the DKR Batman.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Probably the worst issue of the 3, it felt so rushed and disjointed.
    Agreed. I feel like things would've been far better without the forced inclusion of Bruce and the out of nowhere appearance of Diana. And the finale seemed completely pointless and off too, outside of setting up a possible sequel. Watching Metropolis react to Clark's arrival was the most interesting thing happening here, and I'd have rather that been the story.

It still had its moments, and it wasn't nearly as terrible as I feared it would be. But certainly the weakest and least original issue we've had. Kinda disappointing, but not surprising. And even with this stumble at the end, overall Year One ended up being an odd, quirky tale fraught with flaws, but was a fun ride nonetheless.

It doesn't hold a candle to the first issue of Smashes the Klan (though I thought Year One #2 was pretty different and fun) but I enjoyed the ride, bumps and all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I keep my self away from comic books for a few months now. A few days ago i click on the Instagram page of Superman and Wonder Woman and saw a post of this book. Well i had to go and get it being a fan of the couple.

Really liked it especially the moments he had with his father. The time skips where not to my liking but they where shown in a way that you could see that time is being pass. Loved Diana but i wish they had made it more clear if time had pass by and they had gotten close.

Year One is now part of the DK universe. This issue made that clear. But the pacing and time jumps was jarring if you're looking for something linear. You will not get that in this series, much less this issue. But I think this was deliberate.

Miller is mapping strategically. There is a lot of story left out in ALL 3 issues. It is not something only with this issue. The focus is ultimately Superman/Clark at different stages in his young life. You see events but much of the in between is left out.

We never see Lana again, or the Kents, then there is huge gap with Lori and Atlantis to the jump with Metropolis then to the Trinity. Miller is an experienced writer. He shows he can be very detailed if he wants to be or very sparse. He is doing the needful. It makes for a rushed read in some places. I think 3 issues makes it very difficult. It shows that there was a need for 4 issues. Romita, in his enthusiasm, wasted too much time on some scenes when it could be used for others.

What I was pleased about in this whole series was Clark himself. I love the way Miller sees this young man/ refugee from another world. We have a being trying to find his place, balancing his heritage as well as his new home. He does not reject either in favor of one or the other. He is young and vibrant and smart and gung go and socially conscious. He is growing into his own. He can be brash or petulant. He is human even in his alienness. I always feel writers put some superiority to humanity as some high point for all beings when we are as crappy and flawed as proven by Lex and every wife beater, robber, criminal, terrorist, bully etc. Did you see what Lex wanted to do under the lasso?

The fact the females fall for him does not shock me. Miller is pushing back against the awkward, dim farmboy troupe. A guy as magnetic and charming and spectacular as Superman would make any red blooded woman pay attention. I remember reading once Nicola Scott saying she thinks Superman was not sexy. Or Gail Simone saying he was not good with women. I honestly don't know where that nonsense came from. Miller talks of him as a romantic figure. Superman is very much the white knight figure. He also is a positive character with a healthy outlook because of his solid upbringing and his gift of his heritage. The same way men can fall for women , then women can fall for men. Nothing wrong in it. Standard story telling troupe.

Imagine seeing this in front of you.

Not the miserable , humorless, washed out way Zack Snyder had him. I firmly believe Snyder took away a lot of Henry's charisma by suffocating his charm and manliness. Henry, just the way he is, is very Superman. Imagine this face , with a charming smile, powerful, willing to help and save you...of course you gonna notice. Be you Lana, Lori, Lois or Diana. The fact, he is on the side of the angels enhances his appeal.

I loved the sequence when he rescued the baby girl and where he delivers the different criminals to the police. He is no lap dog. To no government or any man or woman. It also shows you how a man who wants to work for the good of people can get hedged in by the system. Also politics is something that is a different ball game. It's a media circus now. DK2 was very much about the impact of social media in its commentary. You can't separate one from the other now. And in reality no one is lauded by everyone. We have a pov that is shaped by truth, half truths and lies depending who is telling it. Lex is a master at the game.

To those who hate the SMWW moment fair enough. You can find it as stupid as you like. Your prerogative. It's just as when DC just slot SMLL into a staus quo without any explanation or build up to it. Happens all the time. I have read enough SMWW by other writers, and the other DK books to know SMWW is a pairing I like and I believe in. Miller is telling you, reminding you...in this verse Clark's affections eventually goes with Diana. What we needed was the in between the first meeting and the goodbye. Because clearly time lapsed and they established a rapport. They did not just fly to Lex after she stopped him and Batman from fighting. And that scene as well as the whole of this issue feels like a jab at MOS and BM v SM. Miller shows a Clark who actually interacts with the people he protects in a very warm way unlike Cavill's Superman. And Diana stopping them is also what should have happened in BM V SM rather than the dumb fight and premature death. I love her response to Lex. DK WW is not a dewy eyed fish out of water. She's always been strong and sure. Her calling him a boy and Adonis might seem over the top but it is very Miller. Also if she is this Amazon Immortal Princess...seems almost weirdly apt.

Kudos to Romita. His best art for a long time. And the inker Miki.

Yes I would like a Year 2 to see Clark going to rescue his people from Brainiac. Miller is not one of those writers that panders to the pc crowd and it is refreshing just for that.

Also I have no idea why this series was Black Label. It reads very PG13. The last issue even tamer yet. I wish they would not censor and restrict the Black Label books.
    Last edited by hellacre; 10-21-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Those panels of Wonder Woman make her look like a naive teen infatuated with her movie idol and willing to do anything just to kiss him. I can't imagine WW fans feeling fine with this.
    Admittedly, I was so off put with how Batman was written that I barely noticed Wonder Woman.

Finally finished this. Had to force myself to read it. I really hope this is the last origin story for, oh forever honestly.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Finally finished this. Had to force myself to read it. I really hope this is the last origin story for, oh forever honestly.
    Well it is an origin to Miller's DK verse Superman not canon version but we all know how DC could just as easily change that.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"