Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From the Black Label panel coverage:

Doyle then moved to praising Romita's work on Superman: Year One, which reunites him with Frank Miller.

Frank Miller "actually sounded excited," said Romita. "He sounded like a little kid."

Miller told Romita to draw "whatever he wanted" based on a minimal plot, after which Miller, Romita, and the editorial team will all agree on the story, and Miller scripts over the finished artwork.

The early part of the story shows how Superman deals with normal human problems through the lens of his super powers.

Superman Year One #2 shows Clark Kent living in Atlantis. Miller wanted to show Clark "fall in love with entire Earth."

That's how Clark comes to join the Navy in this story and is recruited to the Navy SEALS - before leaving the Navy when he realizes what he has to do to be part of the military.

Romita researched Navy SEALS extensively.

"Frank would have allowed me to draw forever," Romita said.

Romita focused on a more widescreen approach to his storytelling, trying to channel the feeling of a film.

Romita's favorite image in the entire 190 page story is "Wonder Woman stopping Superman from breaking Batman's neck with a punch."

https://www.newsarama.com/46152-sdcc...bel-panel.html

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post

Doyle then moved to praising Romita's work on Superman: Year One, which reunites him with Frank Miller.

Frank Miller "actually sounded excited," said Romita. "He sounded like a little kid."

Miller told Romita to draw "whatever he wanted" based on a minimal plot, after which Miller, Romita, and the editorial team will all agree on the story, and Miller scripts over the finished artwork.

The early part of the story shows how Superman deals with normal human problems through the lens of his super powers.

Superman Year One #2 shows Clark Kent living in Atlantis. Miller wanted to show Clark "fall in love with entire Earth."

That's how Clark comes to join the Navy in this story and is recruited to the Navy SEALS - before leaving the Navy when he realizes what he has to do to be part of the military.

Romita focused on a more widescreen approach to his storytelling, trying to channel the feeling of a film.

Romita's favorite image in the entire 190 page story is "Wonder Woman stopping Superman from breaking Batman's neck with a punch."

Sounds like Miller plans to have the two of them fight. Kinda interested in how he’ll write a fight from Superman’s perspective.

I find it funny so many people were angry that Clark joined the military as if he wasn’t going to leave. I’m glad they spoke about this. How Clark becomes disheartened at what he’d have to do to be a part of the military and leaves to help the world his own way.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I find it funny so many people were angry that Clark joined the military as if he wasn’t going to leave. I’m glad they spoke about this. How Clark becomes disheartened at what he’d have to do to be a part of the military and leaves to help the world his own way.
    People are always overreacting

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    But let's say I'm really, REALLY good at football and really, REALLY enjoy it. But let's say I'm only moderately good at writing or drawing, and I'm so-so towards it. Even with an unfair advantage, wouldn't you prefer to do what you love and are interested in, versus something you're not really passionate about?
    So you are "really really good" at football with the strength, speed, and reflexes of a god. Would you really have fun playing it if you were put on the field with a bunch of toddlers?

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    Would you really have fun playing it if you were put on the field with a bunch of toddlers?
    You might if you were the QB and your job was to throw a pass with the right timing, placement, and pace to make it so that these little kids could catch passes in space.

Anyway, this reminds me of that ridiculous scene in Lois & Clark when Clark Kent randomly came across Bo Jackson and got destroyed in 1-on-1 basketball. Now, football isn't basketball, but my main point is that if Clark was interested in the specific skill elements of the game, he could be challenged or be interested in those aspects. And all of this ignores the fact that he might just enjoy the social atmosphere of playing with a team and performing in front of a crowd of his peers and neighbors.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    So you are "really really good" at football with the strength, speed, and reflexes of a god. Would you really have fun playing it if you were put on the field with a bunch of toddlers?
    Superman didn't have the powers of a God post-Crisis. In fact even when he was playing football he wasn't at his peak power that he would ultimately have once MAN OF STEEL completed.

As I've stated, there are plenty of other benefits to playing football outside of winning and competition. But also to your point, if Clark didn't do things just because he was really skilled or powerful, then there wouldn't really be much on Earth he could do, now could he? He would have an unfair advantage in anything he did, including being a reporter for the Daily Planet, where he could respond to any news event faster than anyone, write intricately about Superman in a manner no one else could, and could read/type at a level far superior than the average person.

I just think this football argument isn't sensible, especially given that it was used as a way to teach Clark a lesson about how NOT to use his powers.

BANNED

An overly violent Superman who might kill someone unless he’s “stopped” by Wonder Woman. Oh good. Just whar is needed. More portraits of Superman as someone out of control with his powers capable of killing humans who don’t have the same physical privileges to the point that he literally needs to be stopped from committing murder. Oh 10/10. Can’t get enough. This is so cool and not at all another example of the kind of garbage toxic masculinity that poisons the character and is a perfect example of why men like Miller shouldn’t be allowed within 10 feet of this character.

Also? Batman and Wonder Woman don’t belong in a Superman origin story anymore than he belongs in theirs.

Also...so let me get this straight then. Lana Lang got an issue focused on her. Lori gets an issue focused on her. But the 3rd issue—-the issue where Lois Lane, the most important woman in the franchise and the one Miller has consistently maligned and been criticized the most about actually appears, she has to share focus in an issue that’s actually about Batman and Wonder Woman? In a Superman origin?

Trash. Miller has not changed a bit. He’s the same misogynist he always was obsessed with male posturing and violence and toxic behavior.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 07-22-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Imagine if it was Lois that stopped him! It wouldn't be seen as "toxic," "co-dependent" or "Lame" I'm sure. We wouldn't see the clutching of pearls over how Superman needs Lois to stop him from being a tyrant. Nope, none of that.

And I'm sure this will be where they hook up, cause she's strong enough to stop his punch. He can take his prize and then we can get more panels of her commenting on how fertile Superman is.
    Last edited by Yoda; 07-22-2019 at 08:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Imagine if it was Lois that stopped him! It wouldn't be seen as "toxic," "co-dependent" or "Lame" I'm sure. We wouldn't see the clutching of pearls over how Superman needs Lois to stop him from being a tyrant. Nope, none of that.
    If it was Lois who stopped him there would be 30 posts here already this morning about how their relationship is bad and toxic and it’s so insulting that he needs to rely on her to not to kill people.

The only time I’ve ever seen a scene like that with Lois was on Smallville after Alicia was brutally killed and attacked and Clark got so upset that he unleashed on the murderer. Lois had to calm him down and tell him it would be ok. Clark let the guy go. He was 17 years old, in tears and an entirely different situation. This? This is just male posturing crap.

The hypocrisy around the way people respond when it’s Lois doing literally anything—-because she literally can’t breathe oxygen without someone implying she’s a selfish ***** for it vs. literally anything that involves Wonder Woman is well known and I’m over it. It’s character assassination towards Clark just as it’s equally offensive when he’s shown having to “teach” her compassion.

Writing a Superman origin where Superman is so violent that he needs to be stopped by Wonder Woman from breaking Batman’s neck is toxic garbage. Portraying Clark Kent as that kind of man is toxic garbage. This ridiculous obsession with having Batman and Superman fight is toxic male posturing. I don’t CARE if the fight will be in Superman’s favor this time. It’s an extremely toxic message, it’s bad for the franchise and I’m over the excuses for it.

Even Batman vs. Superman, with all of its many problems, never showed Clark losing his temper like that. Batman was the villain but Clark didn’t truly ever try to hurt him. Which is how it absolutely should be portrayed if you insist on this stupid, grade school fighting between them.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 07-22-2019 at 08:35 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

And I'm sure this will be where they hook up, cause she's strong enough to stop his punch. He can take his prize and then we can get more panels of her commenting on how fertile Superman is.
    It’s a disgusting message about power and strength. It’s insulting to Wonder Woman just as much as him. Her entire myth is based in the idea that she doesn’t respond to male posturing and patriarchal power the same way we are taught to. It’s no secret that I hate Superman/WW and I think it damages both franchises but even if you like it....you shouldn’t be ok with this. Because this is not ok. It is not ok to take a character like Wonder Woman and twist her like this anymore than it’s ok to use Superman as a self insert for the most toxic, violent scenarios.

If I liked SM/WW, I wouldn’t want them associated with Miller or any of these toxic messages. It does not help your case.

Incredible Member

I know it's a daft idea, but maybe just maybe we can wait for the issue to come out rather then be already labeling it the "worst comic book of our time" off of something Romita said to generate controversy/interest?

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    I know it's a daft idea, but maybe just maybe we can wait for the issue to come out rather then be already labeling it the "worst comic book of our time" off of something Romita said to generate controversy/interest?
    It's literally how they are choosing to promote the book, so I think it's fair game to comment on the creative teams statements. And it's not like it's a stretch, considering it was a punchline at another SDCC panel:

Lee mentioned DC Black Label's Batman: Damned, which drew big applause, and Superman: Year One, which did not. Lee joked that fans could save their applause for the end.
    https://www.newsarama.com/46028-sdcc...dan-didio.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    They are choosing to promote the book by focusing on Superman trying to break Batman’s neck. It’s fair game to discuss why that kind of promotion is toxic and bad for the franchise.

Incredible Member

Yes and how many times has promotion for a comic book panned out exactly as it was told? Was Trinity War an actual fight between Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman? Just how many times has superman really left Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen to die? You people are too easy.

Also the applause comment says more about batmans popularity over superman more then anything else.
    Last edited by ssupes; 07-22-2019 at 09:37 AM.