Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Grain of salt the supposed source is even reliable anyway. Seems way out there that there's outright regret over publishing an elseworlds book in a line that was specifically designed for such a thing. This is absolutely nothing like the last problem ( which frankly what I feel was self-inflicted because they themselves made way bigger a deal of it than anyone else cared initially) with that Batman book and the "nudity". And the supposed backlash I find to be heavily exaggerated at best. I've seen some complaints but just as many who don't think its that big a deal. And I'm far from a "Miller apologist". I barely care about most of his works.

Not to say I believe its going to become official, which leads to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If you're talking about this becoming the new "official" origin (dont mean to step into your conversation guys), I haven't even made it to the LCS yet, but this has been in the back of my mind since they announced it.

I mean.....look at the precedent. Batman Year One became canon. Birthright became canon. The current origin is a bare-bones Secret Origin (which is pretty flavorless) and Johns appears to be out of influence at the company.

If Superman Year One doesn't get too explicit and is successful (or even if its not) history tells us this might become the new "official" origin. At least until next year when they change it again

If Bendis is planning on doing the origin, then probably not. But I get the feeling Bendis is looking to add new elements to the origin, like what happened to Krypton, and less inclined to re-tell the origin itself.
    Actually to be honest when I wrote that I was just more meaning the chance of a new origin being written independent of this story. I still think personally this will stay the DKverse origin. And even that in my own head canon its completely independent of event that, as I'm not much a fan of that verse's Superman outside of DKIII. That said your examples have shown that they can take elements of something outside canon that's successful and implement it. I was half surprised they didn't try it with American Alien.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-20-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Any word on from your inside source on what WILL be the official origin?
    if you believe that poster actually has an inside source, I have a bridge to sell you.

I was really pleasantly surprised by this comic. Was very much bracing for the worst. Considering Miller’s horrible work in recent years and his history with Superman (DKR is arguably one of the worst things to ever happen to the character). There are definitely some issues I have with the story but overall I enjoyed it. Loved that he kept Clark as a nerd in high school with his own gang of “Weirdos”. He didn’t go seeking popularity but his actions inadvertently brought him adulation. I thought the football scene was completely unnecessary as he was basically cheating and it didn’t really have a point.

The gang rape insinuation shouldn’t have been included but it wasn’t as bad as some reviewers had let on. Obviously the bullies were a bunch of violent racist assholes definitely capable of doing something that disgusting but the scene would have been fine without that bit of dialogue.

Not a fan of Clark joining the military but I just have to remind myself that this is a Frank Miller Elseworld and not the same character we read about every month. Plus it serves the purpose of Clark getting to explore the world and learn about different cultures.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-20-2019 at 06:06 PM.

The military thing is so different that I'm interested in it. Not as something in a main canon probably, but interested to see what happens.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Parker View Post
    if you believe that poster actually has an inside source, I have a bridge to sell you.
    Just thought I'd give it a shot.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The military thing is so different that I'm interested in it. Not as something in a main canon probably, but interested to see what happens.
    Basically how I feel. I’d never want it in canon, but a military background sort of makes sense for Miller Superman. At least it’s something new to keep this take from being completely repetitive.

Frankly, I'm not convinced Clark's not using the military as a means to explore Earth, he said it to Pa Kent himself, he needs to travel and see his world. He started with the Navy because he wanted to explore the Earth's oceans first, and the trailer showed him around Atlantis or something. I think being in the military will show him the good, the bad, and the worst in the world, and that'll convince him to leave the military and become Superman—to help the world his way, the best way he can.

Oh that's definitely what it is. He wants to explore first and foremost. His talk about a desire to see the oceans and all that since they comprise most of the Earth is also foreshadowing for the circumstances behind him meeting Lori Lemaris.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    As the only Superman fan not sick of the origin, I bit the bullet and decided to get this now instead of wait. Should arrive next week sometime.
    I'm sick of the vague origins and constantly changing facts created with each retelling.

But to me an origin is essential as a framework. Byrne and Wolfman's Post-Crisis Superman is built off the 1986 Man of Steel. The new-52 one is built off Morrison's Action Comics. If you didn't read those stories and came in expecting Superman the Movie or Snyder's Man of Steel as the backstory you'd be confused. So I'd rather you tell me Superman's origin to set up your continuity than drop me in the middle of the story with no explanation of how we got there.

They might all be built from Morrison's All-Star shorthand but a Superman story from 1972, 1992 and 2012 work better if you read the applicable origin story and less well if you assume the 1948 origin gives you that story.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I honestly thought that MOS was setting him up to do just that. I still cling to the idea that the ship we see in that series is the precursor to a new origin. It doesn't look like any other previous version. Why do that unless you're lining up a new origin?
    I'm sure we'll see again the redesigned ship from the MoS cover in the next arc when Jor-El will tell the "real truth" about Krypton's destruction.

And we didn't get to see much of the ship in this book so it's not outside the realm of possibility they will just pass this off as the new "official" origin. I doubt it given it's controversial nature and mixed reviews but I also don't think we're entirely back to SO yet either. So far, there haven't been any direct references to him being a costumed Superboy post Rebirth either far as I know. They've kept his past rather vague. This could be deliberate because they're still on the fence about what his origin is. Or it could be there really is another big reboot event coming in 2020 and they're just waiting it out to do it then. Keep in mind, DC management right now is basically Didio and Lee versus everyone else. So it's possible they just haven't negotiated the terms yet.
    The post-Reborn timeline was put together at the eleventh hour (like Reborn itself), I wouldn't put much stock in it anyway. For example, I doubt that outside of Jurgens, other writers want to keep the thing from the L&C mini about Superman living on a Farm for 10+ years as the backbone of Superman canon history. I don't see it even referenced anymore.

Certainly, the next Crisis in 2020/21 offerers the perfect excuse to provide a better fleshed out history for the character but up to then we can opt for a multiple choice origin... Miller's YO, Jonhs' SO, etc. I choose Birthright.

Spectacular Member

The only problem with this first issue is there was 18 pages on the bullies when it could have been done in 3-5 pages max.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Not bad. I'd probably be more enthusiastic if it wasn't just another Superman origin story, but it has a few interesting new concepts thrown in to keep me reading. JRJR's art looks much better than his run on New 52 Superman and fits the story well.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I'm sure we'll see again the redesigned ship from the MoS cover in the next arc when Jor-El will tell the "real truth" about Krypton's destruction.

The post-Reborn timeline was put together at the eleventh hour (like Reborn itself), I wouldn't put much stock in it anyway. For example, I doubt that outside of Jurgens, other writers want to keep the thing from the L&C mini about Superman living on a Farm for 10+ years as the backbone of Superman canon history. I don't see it even referenced anymore.

Certainly, the next Crisis in 2020/21 offerers the perfect excuse to provide a better fleshed out history for the character but up to then we can opt for a multiple choice origin... Miller's YO, Jonhs' SO, etc. I choose Birthright.
    This is my thinking. This was clearly a last minute attempt to duct tape the pre-Flashpoint Superman onto the New 52 Superman. How much of what we saw stays canon is anyone's guess. In Superman's case yet another reboot might actually be in his best interest. If for no other reason than to sort this mess out.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Regardless of how we felt about the story in general I think we can all agree that is how John Kent should be characterized.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

This is my thinking. This was clearly a last minute attempt to duct tape the pre-Flashpoint Superman onto the New 52 Superman. How much of what we saw stays canon is anyone's guess. In Superman's case yet another reboot might actually be in his best interest. If for no other reason than to sort this mess out.
    Mate, if you think this time DC is finally going to actually reboot Superman right then I’ve got a bridge to sell you. I mean who would you even trust to do a good job with that task at current DC? Certainly not Bendis, much as I enjoy his runs, the man cannot keep continuity straight to save his life, not even his OWN continuity. And of course DC would want to shove the Death of Superman in there because that’s the only story in the last two decades that they think is worth a damn. It would be a complete mess AGAIN, and they’d just undo it to bring back old stories anyway eventually.