Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
Okay that was an oversight on my part. I am not American so Coronado Naval base means nothing to me other than it is a naval base somewhere.

My first thought was Somali but clearly they cannot be if the base is near the Pacific but they are probably from the other side of the world too, closer to Asia. Now given it is a fictional world, we do not know where and what countries exist etc, I am going to assume Miller is not some racist as some people love to say he is other than it was used for expediency as many writers have done in comics before. I could call Geoff Johns out for using muslim terrorists and a stereotypical view of Khandaq too if I wanted but I didn't and won't because I am not so hypersensitive that the comic is mean to demean muslims or make horrible judgments about people I do not know. If it was done sloppily then editorial did not do their job.

And if people did not like Lori as a mermaid, that is fine but the need to vilify Miller personally as racist and also woman hater etc imo is a bit much and absurd. It's just like the over blown stuff about the non existent gang rape from last issue.
Dressing up pirates in stereotypical garb is not expediency. A generic look is expediency. This was clearly done with specificity in mind. And you can't give Miller the benefit of the doubt due to his past history with Islamophobia.