Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Default Superman Year One: out now (Spoilers)

I have to say. This was the closesed we have come to a realistic Superman upbringing.
    In core with the character and fallible in a fitting way.

I liked it. If I wasn't burned out from too many origins I may had loved it too.

Always Rakzo

Well, this was a Frank Miller book all right. The overly-melodramatic narration, the violent moments, the borderline rape scenes, everything is included.

That being said, I think I kinda liked it? I mean, there are lines that take me out of the story and I wish the rape thing was not included at all but I think the direction, characterization and overall intention seems on-point. It really reminds me of Byrne's Man of Steel origin in many ways, many of the best ways.

JRJR's art was pretty solid. Definitely a better effort than during his previous Superman run, much more polished and executed as a whole.

Yeah, there are awkward moments but there are also things to like here. Was expecting worse to be honest (although I SERIOUSLY wish that rape scene was not included, drop that already Miller!).

BANNED

Wow... gang rape ? we don't even see that in Batman... And Batman supposed to be the dark one. Miller gets away with everything with his big name. If some new comer wrote rape in Superman, fans would castrate him... lol Is the gang rape graphic ? or is it something like sue dibney rape ? you don't even understand it with panels till some says that was rape... ?

Always Rakzo

The rape doesn't actually happen but is heavily implied that it was going to happen.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Wow... gang rape ? we don't even see that in Batman... And Batman supposed to be the dark one. Miller gets away with everything with his big name. If some new comer wrote rape in Superman, fans would castrate him... lol Is the gang rape graphic ? or is it something like sue dibney rape ? you don't even understand it with panels till some says that was rape... ?
    There was a rape attempt that Clark stops.

Its not overly graphic. But rape itself is such a difficult subject to tackle which makes you feel awkward just reading it.

I loved it.

At first the dialog seemed too ham fisted and made me think I'd like an art book just letting the JR tell the story, but remember books haven't been written this way in a long time. As I kept going the words and the pictures started to flow and the really blended together. The art is absolutely wonderful and I think his best work as a story teller. After I was into it about 20-25% it really started pulling me in and I was submerged in Franks universe. The dialog started working with the story, it's not a simple repeat of his origin. It tackles problems like bulling the way I think you'd see in an 80s comic or TV show which makes sense given Franks age, it's the view of a completely different generation.

Clark came off great. It felt like he was learning as he starts off with solutions that fail and then goes at the problem in a different way, still showing great restraint. Also the fact that he isn't human comes across beautifully. I didn't think of him as a farm boy with superpowers so much as an alien who lives on a farm, I thought Frank did a good job of showing how he was as smart as he was strong, and the mental observations Clark made to stimuli and situations was fantastic.

I wish I could have read it all at once, but I'm sure I'll buy it as it comes out. Reading this book made me happy and gave me a sense of immersion I haven't got from reading a comic book in a long, long time.

Hey, this read like the Daredevil Man without Fear miniseries from JRJR and Miller. Well, except with Superman that is.

Why people feel the need to exploit every comic for their personal agenda is something I‘ll never understand.
    There is no rape at all.
    There is no imperialism in this issue.

It‘s a typical Miller story.

A very a realistic exploration of Clark in a modern context. It's a coming of age story and so much to like here. It might bug some traditionalists because they want a spotless , lilly white Smallville and a Clark with that fantasy upbringing where everything is more or less lovely and small towns have no troubles and its values will always hold true and have no troubling stuff happening. I am not American but America and the world is currently troubled by bullying, xenophobia, sexual harrassment/ assault and Miller tackles some of the things for his would hero to experience. Because these things do happen in America and the world, they happen to anyone and if you are Clark and Superman you are not going to only have to face punching robots and monsters etc. All these things can unfortunately happen to people you know and when it happens to someone you love, it is different feeling. I can understand if someone is a annoyed using a female to motivate a male...but I think the point was using someone Clark loves. The weight that carries and the rage he would feel. Is it awkward? Yes and it should be. It is not supposed to feel good when you see these things. The mature label allows Miller to address these things so people asking how...that is how. There is no gang rape. There is nothing shown. It is a scene that is menacing but what is threatened never happens. Fact there is nothing really graphic visually in this book. If it makes people uncomfortable fine but to say in a mature label...nothing like this should ever be even brought up about is sounds like censoring to me. I thought the whole Batman debacle absurd and DC caving to complaints because of a male appendage absurd. The mature line imo I expect to address mature themes.

Clark is a child from another world , with abilities different to us trying to adapt and get to see that I feel in a thoughtful and interesting way. I love that higher sensory perception he has and how it is shown. I have no clue where people are even complaining a baby is manipulative? There such bizarre exaggeration in some reviews I read this I was like wth are they on about? It is like nitpicking...trying to find a reason to complain. Too often its glossed over the feelings such a child would have and how difficult it would be for him to temper and subdue himself to fit into ours. But he learns lessons along the way. Clark is very smart and I like his attitude of wanting to learn about the world and see it and make a difference. Romita's art fits in with Millerverse but sharper and cleaner than Miller obviously. There are such beautiful colors here. I would have no problem giving this to even a teenager. I suspect they would understand and find this story very interesting and be able to relate too.
    Last edited by hellacre; 06-19-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    Hey, this read like the Daredevil Man without Fear miniseries from JRJR and Miller. Well, except with Superman that is.

Why people feel the need to exploit every comic for their personal agenda is something I‘ll never understand.
    There is no rape at all.
    There is no imperialism in this issue.

It‘s a typical Miller story.

I am puzzled by these things too.

I am a female reader and I have no idea what these incorrect things going around. The implication of possibly being assaulted is there but it is cushioned in the scene where Lana is threatened for something else and ultimately nothing happens.

And the imperialism bit is so absurd. Nothing what so ever. If there is imperialism in anyone doing this...then Steve Trevor, Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Wonder Woman AND Superman too... who have all served under the security forces must be imperialists.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    And the imperialism bit is so absurd. Nothing what so ever. If there is imperialism in anyone doing this...then Steve Trevor, Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Wonder Woman AND Superman too... who have all served under the security forces must be imperialists.
    I'd also say that a military career is not in conflict at all with Clark having a blue-collar background. To me it kind of makes more sense than him going to a college or an expensive journalism school.

Superman Year One is way better than many reviews made it appear to be. It's sometimes weird and bizarre and old-fashioned, but also solid, inventive and evocative. And Clark does something heroic at last. I wouldn't be against it becoming canon, quite frankly (even if there are still two issues remaining, and maybe everything will go downhill from now on).
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Spectacular Member

Extremely dull read for me after the countless Superman origin stories.

Miller is fond of Superman and has a unique view of him but that doesn't justify another retread of Smallville. He makes high school drama as melodramatic as possible, the Lana Lang stuff is exactly what you'd expect from Miller and the narration works but like... did even those differences (as weird and bad, in the case of Lana Lang, as they maybe) do we really need another Superman story about him discovering his powers?

I'm looking forward to Clark joining the Marines because whilst it's horribly contradictory to everything the character represents and an endorsement of a horrible institution it will at least be weird and probably entertaining.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    I mean they're not shown as imperialists but it does show comics have a fairly bad affinity for the US military, does it not? In a way that would be considered propaganda if these stories were published in China, Russia, Iran etc.

In this case if the idea is to have Clark go see the planet, as he says in this book, he should do it by taking a gap year or becoming a travelling freelance reporter like in Birthright. If he wants to see Panama he should travel there to meet the people, not visit by invading the country. All of this seems to be part of Miller's desire to make Superman as macho and alpha as possible, alongside making him a football star and hyping up how much of a ladies' man he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I'd also say that a military career is not in conflict at all with Clark having a blue-collar background. To me it kind of makes more sense than him going to a college or an expensive journalism school.

Superman Year One is way better than many reviews made it appear to be. It's sometimes weird and bizarre and old-fashioned, but also solid, inventive and evocative. And Clark does something heroic at last. I wouldn't be against it becoming canon, quite frankly (even if there are still two issues remaining, and maybe everything will go downhill from now on).
    Exactly.

Miller makes people nervous. I get that. Fact I love he does that. Miller is one of the few writers we have left that is unapologetic and isn't going to jump every time the politically correct scream at him to be that way. Like him or hate him, that is how a creator should be. You write yr vision. People can be free to like to dislike. But for them to make this wild exaggerations is baffling to me. I am not an American and I come from a country where we had colonization and in no way did I feel Clark wanted to sign up to go show the savages the american way is the best way kind of a thing. All countries have military in today's world. People join up for so many reasons and some have good intentions and we know Clark is not going to stay in the forces but it will no doubt teach him the way the machinery and world works. An important aspect for Superman to understand. Because he and the League do do some policing of the world themselves eventually. This as you say does feel in line with his roots. And all these exaggerated complaints speaks of another agenda going on or a determination just to be negative everything Miller writes. Some things in this we have seen sure because it is an origin story but there are some real interesting ideas in this and being Black Label means Miller is in no way obliged to tread the same ground. Canon is still there for those who want a stereotypical farming childhood that is generally a saccharin blur then jump to Metropolis. This delves a little deeper in Clark's psyche.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think the military is just a way for Clark to get out of the misery of Nowhere, Kansas. That's what the military is for a lot of people.

I'm not condoning it, I think there's a lot more interesting routes- just being clear. I prefer Clark get out of Kansas and just vaguely wander a lot for a while. Using his powers here and there. A guardian angel around the world.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-19-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    I mean they're not shown as imperialists but it does show comics have a fairly bad affinity for the US military, does it not? In a way that would be considered propaganda if these stories were published in China, Russia, Iran etc.

In this case if the idea is to have Clark go see the planet, as he says in this book, he should do it by taking a gap year or becoming a travelling freelance reporter like in Birthright. If he wants to see Panama he should travel there to meet the people, not visit by invading the country. All of this seems to be part of Miller's desire to make Superman as macho and alpha as possible, alongside making him a football star and hyping up how much of a ladies' man he is.
    So why shoud Miller write what Waid already did? What is the point to rehash something when the point of this line is to explore something that could easily have been a choice for Clark? If this was WW2 Clark would have signed up very fast to go to fight Hitler. So we are prepared to taint all the people in all the world who decide well I will try to sign up for the forces? Seems people have no issues Superman helping military or him applauding veterans etc but a young guy just starting out...looking at a way to see the world and help...who says he has money and means to even do what you say? Part two has yet to come out and we don't know what Clark is going to see or learn. Who says he will even fit in with the navy? This is the nitpicking I am seeing again with no context.

I don't see anything of this ladies man that people keep complaining about either. No alpha maleness. Clark is with Lana and does not reap benefits of being ubercool stud that he is having ladies swooning and he is swaggering and he is macho. The guy did what any young kid might do...give into temptation one day to help win a game...and was told off by his dad. And let us not pretend this is the first time Clark played high school football knowing full well who he had powers.

Oh and all his powers do not come in at once. I like the way some manifest themselves.
    Last edited by hellacre; 06-19-2019 at 09:17 AM.