Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Preview for the 3rd and last issue of Year One: https://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/448268
    This reads better than the previous two issues. Let's hope the rest of the book is this level of quality.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This reads better than the previous two issues. Let's hope the rest of the book is this level of quality.
    "Planet Earth farts."

Yes. Let's hope the rest keeps up the quality.

I'm used to the weird narrative style by now. Certainly isn't my preference in general, but I'm fine with it here.

Could have done without the fart line though. I get it, describing things as if it were a living thing, but its silly enough to take you out of the moment.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    "Planet Earth farts."

Yes. Let's hope the rest keeps up the quality.
    I'll be honest, my bar for Miller is kind of low.
    Assassinate Putin!

Well, I thought the first two issues read great. But yes, this reads extremely well too.

Obviously, there will always be some people who don't understand Miller's style (he's often claimed his style is both a little scary and a little silly at the same time, and some readers will never understand that). But, to paraphrase Aesop, "Those who pass judgement on what they don't understand make poor critics."

Obviously, there will always be some people who don't understand Miller's style (he's often claimed his style is both a little scary and a little silly at the same time, and some readers will never understand that). But, to paraphrase Aesop, "Those who pass judgement on what they don't understand make poor critics."
    Not liking something is not at all the same thing as not understanding it.

BTW Danny Miki recently tweeted this

Letting Miller write comic about Superman was worst idea ever.

Given the fact, that Miller did with Diana, Lana, and Lori, should not expect Lois to escape their fate.
    This comic has already been named the worst comic about Superman. Those who read the issue called it the worst of the worst.

Can we just not with the spamming for this last issue? Critical commentary about the actual story is one thing, but its not fair to have to filter through all this "Miller shouldn't have been allowed to write Superman" garbage again. With each successive issue it was repeated to death, and it was frankly off-topic then and its off-topic now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    Well, I thought the first two issues read great. But yes, this reads extremely well too.

I will never understand why some people expect Millerverse to suddenly morph into something different or be just like the comics they already reading. It's been this way from day one. It's like asking JL 3000 or Harley or those comics with a distinctive tone to change its narrative style.

I like Miller's Clark as well. He reminds me of Morrison's jeans and tee and the Golden Age. The confidence coupled with the desire, and passion and drive to use his gifts from a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Can we just not with the spamming for this last issue? Critical commentary about the actual story is one thing, but its not fair to have to filter through all this "Miller shouldn't have been allowed to write Superman" garbage again. With each successive issue it was repeated to death, and it was frankly off-topic then and its off-topic now.
    Agreed. I also hope this is nipped in the bud. It was truly unbearable last time.

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    Letting Miller write comic about Superman was worst idea ever.

Given the fact, that Miller did with Diana, Lana, and Lori, should not expect Lois to escape their fate.
    This comic has already been named the worst comic about Superman. Those who read the issue called it the worst of the worst.
    Yeah. Yeah. Okay. Everyone has seen your previous posts. You don't like Miller. That's fine. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Not liking something is not at all the same thing as not understanding it.
    Not necessarily, especially when it comes to art.

Not necessarily, especially when it comes to art.
    That makes no sense. Art is almost entirely subjective - at least in terms of good or bad. I find "you just don't understand it" an excuse to feel more superior or "right" than people who don't share your opinion. Especially in response people who say not that something is bad, but that they don't like it - and those aren't the same thing, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That makes no sense. Art is almost entirely subjective - at least in terms of good or bad. I find "you just don't understand it" an excuse to feel more superior or "right" than people who don't share your opinion. Especially in response people who say not that something is bad, but that they don't like it - and those aren't the same thing, either.
    True. That was inaccurate writing on my behalf. If I had a do-over I'd have just said something more like: "Art is subjective. You either get it or you don't." Or something like that. That probably would've been less misleading. Oh well. Live and learn.
    Last edited by friendly-fire-press; 10-15-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    I like Miller's Clark as well. He reminds me of Morrison's jeans and tee and the Golden Age. The confidence coupled with the desire, and passion and drive to use his gifts from a young age.
    Yes, he does, doesn't he!? I couldn't put my finger on it, but yes, this is exactly the same kind of brash confidence that borders on arrogance that Morrison brought back from the Golden Age. Man, how did I miss that? I need to pay more attention. I love me a cocky Superman! All the stuff in issue 2, like Clark just walking in a straight line off the army base and jumping hurdles like they're not even there? Yeah, that's my Superman right there. Year One has been a weird, sometimes uneven story, but I do always appreciate a properly macho Superman.

And yes, if we could stop with the repetitive pointless bitching, that'd be swell. We've got one issue left, at this point in the game if you're not feeling the book you're not changing your mind and will have nothing new to say. We get it, the opinion is valid, it's all cool. And criticism of the actual material is what we're all here for. But blanket hate posts aren't really doing anybody any favors are they?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.