Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
Piracy is a huge problem esp around the African coast. Yes he probably went with the most common know ie. Somali pirates but I assume that is because the base Clark is at is nearest to that stuff. Piracy is so bad you have NATO involved to try to protect ships. Also Clark took no one down. Yes we could get into why piracy is on the rise etc but we could also talk about many other things that Superman and Clark as a reporter does not give a crap about because he does not deal with a world of grays. In an ideal world, there would be no piracy because it is sadly driven by corruption, poverty and bad governments. But fact is, it's a problem that naval forces have to deal with and Miller went with the most glaring. Oil tankers sinking are very harmless and Superman saving everyone makes fans feel better I guess. But dealing with real people and seeing what they have to do is troublesome. Let us not pretend it does not happen. Also Romita and Miller spoke to the navy seals. Did research. I personally do not see this as an issue of religion or Islamophobia. I come from a part of the world sometimes our own fishermen have to deal with this...and pirates kill, steal and sink their vessels. And yes if our coast guard had to engage they will use lethal force. It is not ideal at any means, it is what it is.
You realize the base is in America, right? Near San Diego. We're pretty far from the African coast and Somalia. And Somali pirates don't all dress in one uniform way that fit the stereotypical look of Islamic terrorists. And Miller can do all the research he wants. It doesn't mean his work is at all accurate.